Cucina Del Capitano with kids

mikesteg

I've booked this for our upcoming cruise on Carnival Magic, but I'm wondering if they kids get to order off the main menu, or a kids menu, or both/either? They are 8, so they won't eat a regular portion, but they are fairly adventurous eaters so I could see them go for something 'grown up' for the entree... but they'd also be happy with 'kids meal' noodles and sauce/butter, so I'm not worried about the entree.

However, they will demolish some calamari and probably would go for some salmon carpaccio if it's on Magic's menu. The thing is that if they can't order calamari, they will eat all mine! That's my big concern. However, I see so many good things on that example menu that I'm tempted to book another night just for my wife and I.

Thanks!

Mike,

Good question. Maybe you'll get a better response posting this over on the Carnival board. Glad to see your children aren't limited to chicken fingers and mac 'n' cheese. I've never quite understood children's menus. At home we ate what the adults ate, whether it was calamari or pork chops.

Roz

Thank you. I thought about posting in the main group, but I think this group has 90% of the experience and knowledge with regards to kids. Also, we get a much lower rate of people asking why I'd take my kids to a nice dinner and/or even take them on a cruise. :confused: Anyway, I'll know the answer in about 6 weeks, and hopefully remember to come back here and answer my own question. :)

Unlike steakhouse I don’t believe Cucina has a separate discounted price for children under 12 - so if you are paying the full up charge, they order off the adult menu if they like.

In the steakhouse, if you only pay the $10 fee, they are limited to the kids menu but it has a delightful 4 Oz filet that my son said was the best steak he ever had. Personally, the steakhouse is so much better than Cucina, if I could only do one, I would chose it hands down!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to the Carnival website, there is a kids menu available and their meal is $5. We took our 3 year old (almost 4) with us to Cucina Del Capitano and he loved it! This was a few years ago, but they had Wikki Stix for him to play with instead of the generic coloring sheet.

I'm not sure about the option to order off the adult menu....might have to pay the full price. However, you could possibly just order more starter...never know until you ask! :)

Don't forget it's open on embarkation day for lunch. It's a nice change from the chaos at the buffet...much quieter and relaxed.

The booking form/description says:

The $15 ($5 kids) fee includes an appetizer, entree, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion.
That suggests (to me) that it's just cheaper for the kids. Given no other input I'd think it would align with the rest of the ship, meaning the kids could order off either menu.

However, when I just did the google search and found the general page, it says:

Cost: Adults: $15

Kids Menu Available (11 and under): $5

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/cucina-del-capitano

That suggests (to me) that it's $5 only if they order off the kids menu.

It also says the food is served "family-style" which implies (to me) that the food is served in larger dishes in the middle of the table and everybody takes what they want. In other words, order 2 adult entrees and there would be plenty for everybody in our family.

Ah well, we'll know soon enough. Worse comes to worse, we'll hit the buffet a bit later. :D

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes when you get back. We are there for lunch and my son really enjoyed the pasta but he discovered calamari on a cruise and loves it so any time we can get that he's a happy camper.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The booking form/description says:

That suggests (to me) that it's just cheaper for the kids. Given no other input I'd think it would align with the rest of the ship, meaning the kids could order off either menu.

However, when I just did the google search and found the general page, it says:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/cucina-del-capitano

That suggests (to me) that it's $5 only if they order off the kids menu.

It also says the food is served "family-style" which implies (to me) that the food is served in larger dishes in the middle of the table and everybody takes what they want. In other words, order 2 adult entrees and there would be plenty for everybody in our family.

Ah well, we'll know soon enough. Worse comes to worse, we'll hit the buffet a bit later. :D

You will have to pay at least the $5 per kid and their order would come from the kids menu. But of course - they could share whatever appetizer you order.

Somehow I don't think that will be necessary. :D We never leave a cruise ship hungry, do we?

Roz

True, but it never hurts to be prepared! :D

You will have to pay at least the $5 per kid and their order would come from the kids menu. But of course - they could share whatever appetizer you order.

I suspect that is the case, but hopefully there is some flexibility. As with most things Carnival, it may well depend on who you talk to (or in this case, the waiter you get.)

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm back with facts!

There is a kids menu with the typical stuff (details later), and the kids can order off that for $5. However, they can share and there is plenty to go around.

I had another question if this was really 'family style' as claimed in some descriptions. The answer: sort of, but not really. Any apps that are ordered by more than 1 person are served on a single plate, family style. However, the main course and desserts are plated individually.

We ordered 2x calamari and 2x arancini. (Each adult is able to order 2 apps, hence the total of 4.) The calamari was on a large oval plate, and the arancini was about 8 golf ball sized items. Both were very good and large enough portions for the whole table.

They also provide warm-out-of-the-oven bread. Super light and fluffy in about and 8" round, maybe 2 inches deep. It was served right after we were seated, and was just awesome. Between the bread and the apps, we were getting full before the entrees came.

Sorry, I should have taken some pictures of the food... :o

I got the short ribs, my wife got the chicken parmigiana. Both were very large portions, and both very good. Far too much food for us actually. Just about everything came with a clove of roasted garlic, which is probably common in Italy, but a great touch (and tasty!)

Kids menu: no apps are offered. They have the typical entrees (chicken strips, fish sticks, basic pasta, and mac n cheese). They had only cannoli or sorbet on offer for dessert.

I have posted a snapshot of the menu here, so hopefully you can access it if interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncxNVAgA2CDMbeWb7ux_CH65QsI8ZxKi/view?usp=sharing

Also, the generic adult menu on carnival.com: https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/cucina-del-capitano-menu.pdf

I had read something about this being a long dinner, but that was not our experience. Everything showed up without unreasonable delay, and I think we were there for just about an hour which was perfect for us.

I would totally recommend this, even with kids, provided that are old enough to get through a dinner in the MDR. The restaurant was 1/2 full but only one other child was there. For $40 (family of 4) this is probably the best value at sea for up-charge dining.

Thanks for reporting back, Mike. So few people do. Now I'm salivating over the roasted garlic. Sounds like a great experience.

Roz

Easy to roast at home. Set oven to 450. CUt off point of garlic head to expose cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and warp in foil and cook 45 min. Voila.

Easy to roast at home. Set oven to 450. CUt off point of garlic head to expose cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and warp in foil and cook 45 min. Voila.

Agreed, then spread it on some freshly baked and toasted bread... heavenly!