Horizon 9/18/2018 -- NYC - Bermuda -- Very Short Review

tw67

Just got home from Horizon. Beautiful ship. My best friend and I from high school needed a get away, and booked this 4 day trip. We actually booked it back in April 2017, so had a long wait for it! We had a very unique cabin, and I couldn't find very many comments about the cabin before we cruised. It was a Havana Premium Balcony #6467. It was really nice. We thought it was very quiet. The floor plan shows steps going to Havana Area right next to our cabin, but those were for staff only. Just a short walk down the aft hallway, and we would take the steps down. The room was a good size, I am sure it the bed was made as a king instead of two twins, there would be even more. The balcony was interesting. Very long, good size. Had interesting mis-matched furnitre though, that was odd. Havana chair, no pad, blue deck chair, and then a Havana lounge like chair, it was two pieces, so you could sit in it, or lounge. There was also one small round table. We felt like we had a lot of privacy. We used the balcony, but not as much as we thought we would. Of course it was only a 4 day cruise, so that had a lot ot do with it.

Day 1 We live in NJ. I picked up BFF at the beach where she lives. We drove up the Garden State Parkway to the Newark Train Station. My husband works up in Newark, so he took my car from there. From there we took Uber to the port. By the time we dropped off luggage (very easy) and walked in, it was about 11:45. We had 11:30 check in, so we were good to go. We did see people going in the Early/Late line, but honestly, there was no line for anyone! We got checked in quickly and was handed our card to go with group #24. We waited I guess less than a half hour, groups were being called about every 3-5 minutes. Of course, at the time, you think it is an eternity!

Walking onto the ship was easy, but very, very uneventful.....we seemed to walk onto a floor of cabins, and not to the large area I am used to on ships. There was also no one directing you where to go, so it was a little odd, and took you a moment to get your bearings.

We of course couldn't wait to eat, so decided to check out the dinning areas that are open only for free for lunch. We are NOT big buffet fans. Decided to go up to Jiji's and eat at the Mongolian BBQ. It was empty. The food was delicious. They give you a sheet to complete, and you check off what you want in your bowl. When we finished there it was about 1:30 so we headed to the cabin.

Luggage came pretty quickly, we unpacked, and kind of hung out on our balcony until we had to go to our mustar station. This was close, and was on the 3rd floor, right below us, in Meridian Restaurant. After this we headed to Havana Deck to watch sailaway. I loved it back there.

We had reservations at the Steakhouse that night. All I can say, it was amazing! We loved it. Food was great, and so was the service. I was really looking forward to hearing Jeffrey Munks play the piano while we ate, but it was his night off. I did get to hear him later in the week, and he was amazing. Since he isn't on the ship very often, I felt very lucky that he was on this sailing.

We went back to our cabin with every thought of changing and going out to check out the ship, but the food coma took over, and we crashed in our cabin. Getting good night sleep for the first sea day, just seemed like a great idea.

Day 2. Sea day. We had the Sea Day Brunch, then hung out in the Havana Area. Very difficult this day to find a place to sit, and it seemed like it was very crowded compared to the rest of the days, and compared to what we had been told by others on previous sailings. We met some people I had seen on the fb groups. Had a great time hanging in the pool and hot tubs. Many times when very crowded, the bartender seemed VERY overwhelmed. At one point in the afternoon we ordered a pizza to be delivered to us. This was really something that is cool.

We had Anytime Seating for dinner. We used the HUB app, and it worked great. Our table was ready in less than 15 minutes. Just went down to third floor when I got the alert.

I will write more when I get a chance! Please ask questions.

Thanks for doing a review.

Uber from Newark or train to Penn Station then Uber? Curious on cost and time of travel differences.

Assuming you had a Havana cabin. Inside or balcony/lanai?

Noise level at night in cabin? Some reports of being able to hear the band through the walls. Just curious if you had any issues?

Did the Havana bar have various Cuban related dishes, like on the Sunshine, or nothing like on the Vista?

Wait times at Anytime dining? Or did use of Hub assist there?

Thanks.

Thanks for doing a review.

Uber from Newark or train to Penn Station then Uber? Curious on cost and time of travel differences.

Assuming you had a Havana cabin. Inside or balcony/lanai?

Noise level at night in cabin? Some reports of being able to hear the band through the walls. Just curious if you had any issues?

Did the Havana bar have various Cuban related dishes, like on the Sunshine, or nothing like on the Vista?

Wait times at Anytime dining? Or did use of Hub assist there?

Thanks.

First I need to apologize! The cruise was 9/13 not 9/18!!! I don't think I can correct the title!

I am sure that train to NYC would have been cheaper, but easier with our bags this way. It was about $48 to get to port, and about $58 on way home. It was surging at the time on the way home.

No noise issue. We had balcony on 6th deck, yes Havana. We were right above the lanai cabins.

I didn't notice any food at the Havana Bar. We only were in the pool area during the day.

I used HUB app for anytime dining. But out of 4 nights, we only did it twice. We had Steakhouse and Chef's Table. First time, it took less than 15 minutes, second time was less than 10 minutes.

First I need to apologize! The cruise was 9/13 not 9/18!!! I don't think I can correct the title!

I am sure that train to NYC would have been cheaper, but easier with our bags this way. It was about $48 to get to port, and about $58 on way home. It was surging at the time on the way home.

No noise issue. We had balcony on 6th deck, yes Havana. We were right above the lanai cabins.

I didn't notice any food at the Havana Bar. We only were in the pool area during the day.

I used HUB app for anytime dining. But out of 4 nights, we only did it twice. We had Steakhouse and Chef's Table. First time, it took less than 15 minutes, second time was less than 10 minutes.

Thanks. for your responses. Was hoping for some "treats" with Cuban coffee in the morning. But easy to hit the coffee bar and grab what's on the counter. Or something from the taste bar. We're on 5.

Was curious about transportation and differences in using Uber/Lyft vs mass transit. Luggage is certainly a concern. Surging would be a problem but if the driver moves through traffic, that's okay. No made rush to trains. When on business it's been easier to do a train to Newark from lower East side. Staying upper next time and thinking Uber/Lyft would be easier and maybe faster. Cost not an issue as company pays freight.

Thanks. for your responses. Was hoping for some "treats" with Cuban coffee in the morning. But easy to hit the coffee bar and grab what's on the counter. Or something from the taste bar. We're on 5.

Was curious about transportation and differences in using Uber/Lyft vs mass transit. Luggage is certainly a concern. Surging would be a problem but if the driver moves through traffic, that's okay. No made rush to trains. When on business it's been easier to do a train to Newark from lower East side. Staying upper next time and thinking Uber/Lyft would be easier and maybe faster. Cost not an issue as company pays freight.

If I did it again, I would do Uber! Just easier with luggage. I have often taken the train to go into the city, but unless I can ever learn to pack less, I would have a hard time on the train!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Day 3 was in Bermuda. We did a tour, I can't remember the exact name, but it was on a boat, you saw houses, architecture, and got a waterview tour of Bermuda. Then we walked around the Dockyard. We could hear the empty Havana area calling us, so decided to go back on board. We dressed for the pool, but stopped in at Cucina Del Capitano for lunch. Many of these restaurants that cost at dinner, are open for lunch free of charge. It was great. Then we hung in the Havana pool, until it was time for us to get ready for Chef's table.

I loved Chef's table. I ate food that I normally wouldn't eat, but loved every item. It took about 3 hours, they poured unlimited wine, and everyone working it was fantastic.

They let you know when on the ship. We were only a 4 day cruise, so we aren't sure, but we think it was only one night. On day 2 I called and asked when we were having it, and a letter with directions arrived that night. You met the chef in the lobby and they brought you to the galley. It was so good, we got to watch how chocolate melting cake is made. The meal had, sea bass, lamb, veal and duck. There is amaz of 14, we had 12. Everyone in our group was so much fun! I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did! Please ask questions, I don't mind answering!

Did you find the Havana pool area crowded?
No, not usually. Occasionally you couldn't find a lounger in the sun, or two together, but could always find a chair somewhere. One time a person said that she was holding loungers for a party of 25...someone informed her that if most spent the whole time in the pool, they could share loungers!

Nice that someone spoke up about the pool chairs.
One person was not feeling well, and needed to lay down. That is when the person spoke up. I am usually a shade person, I shouldn't be in the sun, and I am just fine in a comfy chair!