How bad are adjoining rooms?

BENHANDEL

I reserved our Horizon family suite on the Christmas 2018 sailing almost 2 years ago. I knew nothing about Carnival and just relied on the pick from the carnival agent that kept calling me, lol. I was excited that the room configuration seemed similar to the one Disney cruise room we had, but it would have been less than half the cost. I did not have any context to even know the right questions to ask or how to choose a better spot.

I have been (obsessively) doing my research for a few months now, but just recently looked closely at my deck plan...and realized we are in an adjoining room. The family suites have been sold out for a while but I am sure I reserved soon after the itinerary for the new ship was released and there would have been non-adjoining options.

I have "gotten over" my fears of what I didn't even know about before I started following here, (under the galley, cove balcony, lifeboat blockage, etc. ) but now I need some reassurance that the adjoining room noise will not be an issue...and...if it will be...how often to rooms "open" after payment date for us (family of 5) to be able to move? TIA

I reserved our Horizon family suite on the Christmas 2018 sailing almost 2 years ago. I knew nothing about Carnival and just relied on the pick from the carnival agent that kept calling me, lol. I was excited that the room configuration seemed similar to the one Disney cruise room we had, but it would have been less than half the cost. I did not have any context to even know the right questions to ask or how to choose a better spot.

I have been (obsessively) doing my research for a few months now, but just recently looked closely at my deck plan...and realized we are in an adjoining room. The family suites have been sold out for a while but I am sure I reserved soon after the itinerary for the new ship was released and there would have been non-adjoining options.

I have "gotten over" my fears of what I didn't even know about before I started following here, (under the galley, cove balcony, lifeboat blockage, etc. ) but now I need some reassurance that the adjoining room noise will not be an issue...and...if it will be...how often to rooms "open" after payment date for us (family of 5) to be able to move? TIA

There is no difference between closed connecting doors and a wall. The doors are probably a better sound barrier than the wall.

You will hear a lot from the other room and some things you may not want to hear.

I have had adjoining rooms, I have never heard anything from the next room

I had an adjoining room on my Horizon cruise and the noise was terrible. All the sounds (talking, tv, etc) that our neighbors made you were able to hear through the door. Even more annoying was they slept with the tv on super loud which made it difficult for us to sleep at night as all the sound traveled through the gap under the door.

However this is entirely subjective to how noisy your neighbors are. You may luck out and get neighbors who listen to the tv at a normal level, and are rarely in their room.

There is no difference between closed connecting doors and a wall. The doors are probably a better sound barrier than the wall.

I totally disagree with you on this. We just got off of the Pride yesterday. We booked late and had to take what was offered. We ended up with 6108, an inside cabin next to the farthest forward balcony cabin. As soon as we got in the room, we noticed the people in that balcony room were loud talkers and we could hear every word they said through the door. During the day, usually in the morning when my wife was still asleep, and it was dark in our cabin, I could see light coming through the sides of the door. As soon as we heard them, we went down to guest services to see if we could get a different cabin, even paying for an upgrade if necessary. They told us there were none available.

This could have been a lie, due to the fact that we heard later on that the number of pax on board was much lower than usual. We hoped there would even be a no-show because the Bermuda destination was switched to the more common Bahamas itinerary.

Fortunately, after turning our tv up a bit, they probably realized we could hear them just as easily, and most of the rest of the cruise they were not as loud.

As others said, it depends on how loud your neighbors are. Don’t know how good the insulation is on the newer ships, but I’ve had connecting doors on older Carnival ships and we could hear quite a bit. We could hear muffled conversations and laughter, as well as coughing and the hair dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had connecting cabins on several ships and never once had a noise issue. When we booked them with our own kids in the connecting cabin, we had to prop the doors open. Otherwise we couldn't hear a thing from the other room. I only hesitate to book them if I don't need one - as I know like us, families often book them. But noise has never been an issue.

All cabins adjoin to something. Connecting cabins have interior doors that open to each other.

We avoid connecting Cabin whenever possible. We’ve had everything from silence to loud noise. Depends on your neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on Horizon and had a room with connecting doors. My neighbor seemed to have a health condition that caused him to grunt loudly and repeatedly throughout the night and we heard him even when we’d hang out in the room in the day. I felt bad for him because you could tell he never gets a good nights sleep.

Long story short don’t book the connecting rooms if you have a choice. Your neighbors don’t have to be inconsiderate to be noisy. They could just have bronchitis or something and if you can’t sleep through it you’ll be miserable too. I was relatively fine but it was very loud.

I've been on 2 cruises where we had adjoining cabins. We were apprehensive about the cabins. The only noise we ever heard was one time when a 2 y.o. knocked on the adjoining door.

I've heard more noise coming from through the adjoining wall than through the adjoining door.

Not our experience at all. If the people next to you are really, really loud you might hear something but that would be the same if the cabins weren't adjoining.

I agree. We've had adjoining rooms several times and I have never noticed a difference. If you have loud neighbors you will hear them no matter the type of room.

I've had adjoining rooms a couple of times, and agree that it's true that you can hear activity from next door, but frankly, not unless they're screaming at each other, or have the T.V. on extremely loud. (Not likely anymore, since Carnival doesn't offer much in the way of T.V. stations anymore.) LOL Bottom line, I wouldn't obsess about it, as it's likely that it won't be a problem at all.

"SKY"

I do not agree... last year on the Carnival Vista it was our very first time being in a cabin that has connecting doors and I will NEVER do that again... we could hear everything from the adjoining room... so a wall is much better than a door

We have an app on our tablet for "white noise" or "pink noise". We travel over 100 days a year & always use it. It blocks out everything you don't want to hear (neighbors, hall noise, etc). It's just like a constant radio static. We used to bring a Sound Spa machine, but now our tablet and/or phone have the app.

We avoid connecting Cabin whenever possible. . Depends on your neighbors.

Remember, (everyone) you will also be the neighbor to someone. Five in a cabin need to be aware of their activity level in any cabin. Just more bodies.

I was thinking the same thing. It’s more likely the cabin of 5 are going to be louder than the adjoining cabin, unless it’s adjoining another 5 passenger cabin.

If all 5 person cabins are sold out than it is what it is and try to be a good quiet neighbor in return.

we had adjoining rooms on pride. an interior connecting to a balcony. LOVED IT. we had the 14 and 16 year olds in one room, hubby and I in the other. It was perfect.

The only way we would ever get a connecting cabin is when we have both. Most of the time in your case, you probably had the door open any way.

I really hate to disagree with you Elaine, but maybe you have never had an 'adjoining' room?? We have, by default, booking late with little choice.....gosh were we sorry!! The doors for some reason are as thin as tissue paper and we could hear EVERY sound and noise (even some we really didn't want to hear at all). The worst part was that they were on a completely different time schedule than us and either kept us up or woke us up each and every night. In rooms that are NOT adjoining, there is a barrier between the walls (the cabins are like premoled metal boxes inserted into the ship deck with space between them). With adjoining cabins the thin doors are the only barrier, and it is NOT much of a barrier at all. Never again....we will just not sail, deal or no deal, if all that is left is adjoining rooms. It was truly an awful week!