Getting to San Pedro

Navywife26

Hi there! We are traveling through El Centro (husband wants to see the base again) to San Pedro. We want to take Hwy 1 from Dana Point. Can someone help with the best way to do this? Don’t know where construction is so I figured we would ask someone from that area. We will be driving it on Monday 10/22 if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Tammy

CalTrans and CHP websites have all the info about construction and traffic issues. I have the CHP traffic tiled onto my phone.

Construction usually stops during during the day, unless there’s been an issue.

In the Greater LA area almost any of the radio stations will have traffic reports. We use am1070

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much.

One thing I’m really curious about is that the AAA woman near us is from that area and she said to avoid 47 from Long Bach to San Pedro. On the other hand an old (2010) message out here said to go that way. It sure looks easy to me to get off the 1 a 2nd street go to Ocean and then to 47. Is that the way I should go?

Thanks, Tammy

Two weeks ago we drove from San Diego to San Pedro on a weekday afternoon. Google maps sent us via the 710, which then sent us through the whole Long Beach construction mess. It was horrendous traffic, 95% trucks, very poorly marked detours. By some miracle, we eventually found our way by just trying to keep going north. If I were doing it again, coming from the south, I'd take whatever route you choose from Dana Point (Hwy 1, or PCH, is fine if you have plenty of time) to the 110, not 710.

Thanks so much. We have plenty of time so thought we would drive the PCH to have a great view. I realize it might not be the fastest drive but I have been on it and my DH hasn't. Thought it would be a nice drive versus the main highways.

Tammy