LA residents - help needed!

Cruise Raider

Hi all,

We are cruising out of San Pedro on a Saturday and I see Princess wants our flight in to land no later than 12:30. I know the traffic can be intense in Los Angeles but was wondering how bad it was on a Saturday.

As much as I love to have lunch when I first board, I can get a flight into Long Beach, which is so much less stressful than LAX, that lands at 12:45 PM and thinking this should not be a problem. But, I wouldn't think to book anything until checking with the experts here on Cruise Critic. Would that flight time get me in on time for a cruise that departs at 4 PM?

I know Pam in California always gives great advice so hoping she chimes in, as well as many others that may have some good advice.

Also, if this looks ok, would you also be able recommend if Uber or maybe one of the Shuttle services that picks up at Long Beach.

Thanks in advance!

What date are you sailing? Traffic on Saturday is generally better than a weekday, but you also have college football on Saturdays to consider. And if it's in October there is a big Oktoberfest that takes place near the cruise terminal in October.

We will fly into Long Beach if we are cruising out of LA and prefer it to LAX

Uber or Lyft work best.

The only risk with your arrival time is with your flight

If you arrive late, plane problems, delays you could miss the cruise. You are cutting it close.

Are you carrying on luggage? That’s an extra delay if you are waiting for luggage.

It’s an easy 20-25 minute drive to port and much better than LAX, as Colo Cruiser has mentioned.

Good luck and please share how it ends up going!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live about 18 miles from the port and less than 6 miles from LGB (I LOVE! LGB :)) I concur with the info Keith provided above. I recently used Uber to get home from LGB and it was easy peasy. Uber can pull up to the center median just steps from the actual terminal building.

We are not LA residents so here on Cruise Critic that make us uniquely qualified to answer. We have flown into Long Beach and LA much later than 12:45 and easily made the port. Uber/Taxi will get you there. Of course, we always have the Princess emergency crying towel phone number at the ready.

Wow ...thanks so much for the quick responses.

We aren't going until the middle of April 2019 but see the flights have already been released on Jet Blue and are at a decent price at the time. Plus, we can fly out of our home airport vs driving to SFO or SJC. The flight time home isn't until 4:30, so no issue there.

JennyBenny .... Yes, we will have one checked bag. I know we are cutting it rather close .... :( and I do worry about that, especially in LA. I just love Long Beach and hate LAX ... was trying to make it work. Trying to talk my DH into a couple night trip into Las Vegas before hand and we can just take a quick flight into Long Beach from there and get there by 10:30 AM instead. I have to do a lot of convincing that this is a better idea, though. He is down to a 7 night trip being long enough. :eek:But, I think he forgets how awful LAX can be. I guess it all depends on how long we can count on the cat sitter, too.

And, either way .... we will take Uber vs a shuttle, based on the advice on here.

thanks so much!!

We will fly into Long Beach if we are cruising out of LA and prefer it to LAX

Uber or Lyft work best.

The only risk with your arrival time is with your flight

If you arrive late, plane problems, delays you could miss the cruise. You are cutting it close.

Are you carrying on luggage? That’s an extra delay if you are waiting for luggage.

It’s an easy 20-25 minute drive to port and much better than LAX, as Colo Cruiser has mentioned.

Good luck and please share how it ends up going!

Totally agree. I always fly in at least one day prior to the cruise, usually two, just in case of delays, lost luggage, etc. and to relax. I have a Hawaii cruise planned round trip from LA, I live 1.5 hours from the port, but am driving up the day before and staying at the Double Tree just to be able to not stress during traffic. Plus I have Hilton points and can stay and park there, as opposed to long term parking at the cruise port.

Hi all,

We are cruising out of San Pedro on a Saturday and I see Princess wants our flight in to land no later than 12:30. I know the traffic can be intense in Los Angeles but was wondering how bad it was on a Saturday.

As much as I love to have lunch when I first board, I can get a flight into Long Beach, which is so much less stressful than LAX, that lands at 12:45 PM and thinking this should not be a problem. But, I wouldn't think to book anything until checking with the experts here on Cruise Critic. Would that flight time get me in on time for a cruise that departs at 4 PM?

I know Pam in California always gives great advice so hoping she chimes in, as well as many others that may have some good advice.

Also, if this looks ok, would you also be able recommend if Uber or maybe one of the Shuttle services that picks up at Long Beach.

Thanks in advance!

At the best, if everything is on time, you would get to the ship around 2. If the ship is scheduled for a 4 pm departure you need to have cleared check in at least 30 minutes in advance (time when passenger list must be submitted and check in must be completed). So the question is are you willing to bet your cruise that there will not be a 90 minute delay anytime in the process.

You can also check flights to Long Beach on Southwest - I have flown into LB much earlier than 12:45 in the past. I fly into Long Beach from Oakland often but there can be delays - if I have the option I will pay for 1 night hotel and skip the stress

You can also check flights to Long Beach on Southwest - I have flown into LB much earlier than 12:45 in the past. I fly into Long Beach from Oakland often but there can be delays - if I have the option I will pay for 1 night hotel and skip the stress

That's right ... forgot all about that. They do have a flight that lands at 9:45 AM in Long Beach. Their schedule doesn't go out that far yet but this is for the previous week. Problem solved ... will be taking Southwest and save the money on the luggage to boot.

Thanks for everyone's help!!! My DH thanks you all, too, because I know he didn't want that little extension in Vegas.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Does the ship

a) actually depart at 4 PM or

b) have a last on board at 4 PM.

If a), you have to be on board at 2:30 or 3:00 at the latest. You will probably not make it if your flight lands at 12:45 if it really does land at 12:45. That means that you have at best 1 1/2 hours to get your luggage, get your ride and get to the cruise ship terminal. Hope that you have a passport and enjoy getting to the next port.

If b), you should be OK.

DON

Good advice already given. If all goes well with no delays, you should be OK.

At 3pm, almost all the check-in and security staff leave. It’s pretty much a ghost town in the terminal. The ship’s manifest must be submitted at least an hour before sailing.

Usually, the ship sails on time but I’ve also seen it sail later many times.

LA area traffic is pretty much awful all the time. It’s relative and a matter of degree. Weekends are better but there’s still a heck of a lot of traffic throughout the day. Even though I’m a transplant to CA, locals measure distance in the amount of time needed to get from point A to point B rather than the number of miles.

I'm much more comfortable with your 9:45 am arrival. 12:45 would be OK IF everything works as planned, but a flight delay could ruin your vacation.

Best option, come in the evening before. There are plenty of hotels in the LGB and San Pedro area, some with complimentary shuttles to the port. It makes life a lot less stressful.

Daughter lives in LA--we've learned that any airport except LAX is preferable. That's Burbank if coming to her home, LGB if coming for a cruise! LAX is the last resort.

That's right ... forgot all about that. They do have a flight that lands at 9:45 AM in Long Beach. Their schedule doesn't go out that far yet but this is for the previous week. Problem solved ... will be taking Southwest and save the money on the luggage to boot.

Thanks for everyone's help!!! My DH thanks you all, too, because I know he didn't want that little extension in Vegas.

That’s so much safer!! We usually stay the night before but on our last cruise we went without the kids and DH didn’t want to leave them without us an extra night. We flew in the morning of the cruise. I also made sure there was a later flight that would get us to port on time if something went wrong. It was a long day but we had a great time!

Happy cruise planning!!

If you can’t come in early and spend the night, then SouthWest is definitely the way to go.

I can remember one delightful Southwest flight that was over 2 1/2 hours late for the 90 minute trip from SFO to LAX. Since then, I've always done my damndest to fly in for a cruise at least a day in advance.

Here’s a great read from someone in Northern California

Our Most Excellent Adventure - We Missed the Ship

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2175456

I loved this when he first posted it. Mainly because of his attitude in the face of a complete and frustrating mess.