Cozumel - cheap beach with soft sand?

Vacationdreamer<><

Our last trip to Coz my family of 8 went to Playa Mia. It was the whole reason I booked western itinerary. We were sorely disappointed.

Heading to Cozumel with just a friend and I just want a beach with sand that isn’t coarse like Playa Mia was. No bells and whistles necessary.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All the sand on Cozumel is exactly the same.

If you want white powder sand, then go to Florida gulf coast.

Had no idea. Maybe I should stay on the ship?

Sand is great in Costa Maya, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Prince Edward Island, and Pacific Northwest... coarse as granulated sugar at Playa Mia...

Can anyone else confirm all of Cozumel has same abrasive sand?

Most of the popular beach clubs are lined up next to each other, so the sand and water quality will be about the same at all -- that's why I suggested that you look farther away at Playa Palancar or Passion Island.

Most of the popular beach clubs are lined up next to each other, so the sand and water quality will be about the same at all -- that's why I suggested that you look farther away at Playa Palancar or Passion Island.

Thank you. I will look into both of these beaches. Thank you for explaining why. :)

Thank you. I will look into both of these beaches. Thank you for explaining why. :)

All the beaches are not the same.

I am not a sand aficionado, to me sand is sand is sand but I know it matters to some people.

The beaches on the east side are whiter, softer and natural but you cannot swim in the ocean. The beaches either side of town and the ports are mainly iron shore which makes them good for snorkeling. A lot of the resorts have man-made beaches, with sand brought in or supplemented. I don't know where that sand comes from, or if it comes from different places at different times and therefore has different characteristics.

I do know some people who take note of "sand conditions" have complained on occasions that the sand at Nachi Cocom is "too soft" if that is what you are looking for, but it is only a short distance south of Playa Mia with Sanchos in between so I don't know how much difference there is. However Nachi Cocom is AI so not exactly cheap. Sanchos has AI and PAYG areas.

Mitsugirly has photographic reviews of all three places in her signature, as well as Palancar and Passion Island (but none of east side) so perhaps those will help you decide.

All the beaches are not the same.

I am not a sand aficionado, to me sand is sand is sand but I know it matters to some people.

The beaches on the east side are whiter, softer and natural but you cannot swim in the ocean. The beaches either side of town and the ports are mainly iron shore which makes them good for snorkeling. A lot of the resorts have man-made beaches, with sand brought in or supplemented. I don't know where that sand comes from, or if it comes from different places at different times and therefore has different characteristics.

I do know some people who take note of "sand conditions" have complained on occasions that the sand at Nachi Cocom is "too soft" if that is what you are looking for, but it is only a short distance south of Playa Mia with Sanchos in between so I don't know how much difference there is. However Nachi Cocom is AI so not exactly cheap. Sanchos has AI and PAYG areas.

Mitsugirly has photographic reviews of all three places in her signature, as well as Palancar and Passion Island (but none of east side) so perhaps those will help you decide.

Wow! Thank you for all the information. Until we visited Playa Mia, I had always been more of a Sand is Sand is Sand person. But then my three-and five-year-olds wouldn’t play in the sand at that beach, and I was suddenly more aware.

I will spend some time reviewing Mitsugirlys posts again.

I did not know that the east side beaches were not agreeable to swimming. Thank you for that information.