Antarctica on the Explorer Dec 18th, 2015

Joan

My travelmate of 60 years is also Joan!

We had our only Antarctic kayaking experience on our second visit shortly after Lindblad devised that unique boarding arrangement by putting 2 zodiacs together. Our kayak was launched some distance from the ship but close to spectacular Antarctic scenery - it was a quiet blue and white dream.

One experience on an uphill hike was not so dreamlike - we were really tired as we reached the summit ( I think this may have been on S Georgia) so we decided to slide down. We sat down on a steep decline and pushed off. The unexpected acceleration was unexpected and a bit scary as we came closer to the water's edge. Needless to say, we survived!

We envy your Antarctic experience.

Hi HRProf

Thanks for the comment. As I replied to Turtle06 I think we will take every opportunity to kayak that is offered . Hopefully there will be opportunities for both kayaking and hikes. Two months today until our trip begins.... getting very excited.

We have also started to look at itineraries for the Arctic including Iceland and Greenland. Lindblad had a webinar this week and now we are both hooked.

Joan

Joan

You haven't asked for any advice on the Arctic, but please allow me to make some comments - obviously, time required and budget damage are always factors in travel planning. But, your Antarctic plans indicate that you can manage a few extra dollars and days. So please consider the Svalbard/ Fiords 17 day trip. It combines the wildlife exposure of the 11 day Polar Bear trip with an outstanding cruise up the Norwegian coast. We have done both and strongly recommend this one. Also, you begin the cruise in Bergen and end in Oslo - both places worth a day or 2 add on. And, if you have more time, take the train from Oslo to Bergen.

We did the Iceland circumnavigation last year - easy on time and budget! Iceland was the most unusual place we have ever visited for a wide range of factors - go there!

Ted

Joan

You haven't asked for any advice on the Arctic, but please allow me to make some comments - obviously, time required and budget damage are always factors in travel planning. But, your Antarctic plans indicate that you can manage a few extra dollars and days. So please consider the Svalbard/ Fiords 17 day trip. It combines the wildlife exposure of the 11 day Polar Bear trip with an outstanding cruise up the Norwegian coast. We have done both and strongly recommend this one. Also, you begin the cruise in Bergen and end in Oslo - both places worth a day or 2 add on. And, if you have more time, take the train from Oslo to Bergen.

We did the Iceland circumnavigation last year - easy on time and budget! Iceland was the most unusual place we have ever visited for a wide range of factors - go there!

Ted

Thanks Ted

It is still early in our planning for the Arctic. We are a torn between the combination fjords and Svalbard (17 day) trip and the Epic 80 with Greenland, Baffin and Ellesmere Island (24 days). Polar bears are high on our list.

Joan

• 2 months later...

We will be staying with NG at the Sofitel/ Buenos Aires pre Antarctica cruise and noticed that we have the option of paying for our room to be ready when we arrive early in the morning ( basically paying for two nights vs one) rather than wait till possibly 3:00 pm for rooms to be ready. Would appreciate any advice as to whether we should do this or are the rooms usually ready in a timely manner. We will be tired after a long flight from the U.S and it would be nice to take a short nap, but it is an additional $350. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be staying with NG at the Sofitel/ Buenos Aires pre Antarctica cruise and noticed that we have the option of paying for our room to be ready when we arrive early in the morning ( basically paying for two nights vs one) rather than wait till possibly 3:00 pm for rooms to be ready. Would appreciate any advice as to whether we should do this or are the rooms usually ready in a timely manner. We will be tired after a long flight from the U.S and it would be nice to take a short nap, but it is an additional $350. Thank you!

Our room was ready early, but things may have changed. And others wren't quite so lucky.

The Sofitel must be a new-ish choice by Lindblad. When we were there (2012-13) all S. America (BA, Quito, Gayaquil) was Hilton.

The ground subcontractor was Metropolitan Touring. We didn't come in on rhe group flight (AA) but came in on Copa. We landed half hour before AA was scheduled to arrive. We were to wait for AA and take the bus in with everyone.

AA delayed--the ground agent put us in a remise (taxi) at presumably Lindblad's expense and called ahead to instruct our room be ready. It was. Impressive! We wree at the hotel by 10 and asleep by 10:15.

We napped then toddled down to the reception room for Lindblad guests. Some guests rooms weren't ready until... 7pm!

Perhaps that's one reason why it is now the Sofitel and not the Hilton...

Hope you had an amazing trip! I leave next Friday for Buenos Aires. Hard to believe that a trip that I started planning a year ago is finally here. A few questions- actually I have tons of questions but will restrain myself-

How late were your rooms ready at the hotel on the morning of arrival in BA? I know that we have the option of paying for the rooms to be ready ( basically paying for a full night before) but am hoping that they will be ready in a timely manner- ie no later than noon? What time was the pick up for the charter flight? And finally, clothing wise, was there anything that you took that you never touched and was there anything that you really wish you had packed? trying to fit everything in a carry on suitcase and backpack so any packing advice is appreciated. Planning on using onboard laundry and washing some items myself. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you had an amazing trip! I leave next Friday for Buenos Aires. Hard to believe that a trip that I started planning a year ago is finally here. A few questions- actually I have tons of questions but will restrain myself-

How late were your rooms ready at the hotel on the morning of arrival in BA? I know that we have the option of paying for the rooms to be ready ( basically paying for a full night before) but am hoping that they will be ready in a timely manner- ie no later than noon? What time was the pick up for the charter flight? And finally, clothing wise, was there anything that you took that you never touched and was there anything that you really wish you had packed? trying to fit everything in a carry on suitcase and backpack so any packing advice is appreciated. Planning on using onboard laundry and washing some items myself. Thank you so much!

Sorry I didn't see your post until today. I am assuming that it is too late for a reply and that you are already on your way. Hope you have an amazing trip.