Onboard Oosterdam Now

1ANGELCAT

Currently have a code red . Hope it clears up.

On the plus side, Captain Albert joined us in Malaga. Yeah finally get to meet him,

CD confirmed he will do a lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a wonderful opportunity to meet Captain Albert and hear him speak!

Sorry for the Code Red. Wash your hands! :)

OK -- I'll ask LOL: What's a code red?

Under normal circumstances, an HAL ship operates in code green, which entails daily cleaning of the ship with a regular detergent. Kuppens (HM-HAL) told me when two to three cases of the gastrointestinal (or GI) bug are reported within one day, then the ship moves up to a code yellow status. First, at the time a GI case is reported, the guest is quarantined in his or her cabin for 24 hours and the cabin is also vigorously cleaned as soon as possible. At the yellow level, passengers will not likely notice what is going on behind the scenes, but the ship will be undergoing a daily cleaning regimen with a special hydrogen peroxide-based product called Virox 5, that kills germs (the "5" indicating the number of minutes the solution takes to work). It can be used in the form of a wipe or sprayed from a spray bottle. On the day our cruise started, Kuppens told me the ship had gone into "code red," the highest of the three levels, which is typically implemented when there are five or more cases of GI illness per day over successive days. Kuppens points out that HAL's threshold for moving into either yellow or red code is stricter than what the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) advises.

Sorry about the Code Red. Take care of yourself and hopefully it is conquered quickly.

What a nice opportunity though to meet Captain Albert. Enjoy :)

Edited by kazu