Do you think a handicapped cabin has the same or better chance of an upgrade

10th Hole Slice

We were booked into a handicapped suite, but don't have a need for one. I think it was a case of what was available.

I'm fine with the room, but I'm curious as to whether a handicapped suite/cabin has more of a chance of being changed to a different room since they are limited and someone may have a need for it in the last week or days.

Our last cabin was also assigned as a handicapped cabin. I'm sure they keep them available until they are assigning the last week in case they are needed. I would hope that people needing them would book before the last minute to assure they get one. As it happens, I was waiting for a knee replacement when we travelled so we actually enjoyed the assistive devices in the bathroom!

The people assigning upgrades have no idea that you really don't need the handicapped cabin.

So don't count on a free upgrade.

If you want a different cabin -- you can call Hal and request another cabin. But be prepared to pay more for another cabin.

No, I really don't care. I was just curious. Given the reasoning that they don't know, it seems like it would be less likely for an upgrade since the assumption would be that it was booked because there was a need. The cruise is 5 weeks.

Was this a guaranty assignment? As in you booked a suite guaranty and they assigned the HC suite to you? In that case, since it is after final payment, they are free to assign what they wish. As discussed many times in the Disabled cruising forum the cruise lines generally require the HC cabins remain available for those "qualifying" (I use that loosely) with need for the features. I don't recall the exact ADA rules but they are also in a bind with HIPPA and not being able to ask about medical conditions. But after the final payment when presumably those with a need have had their chance the cabins become open inventory. Chances are high the assignment will be final.

It was assigned at time of booking - I think that it was only 1 of 2 suites left and I suspect the other was the other handicapped suite in that category.

It's probably complicated by the fact that it's a charter (but then the charter released about 700 rooms to interline travel, which is what we booked through) so I doubt there will be much reassignment in any case.

It's neither here nor there to me - I got a suite like I asked for and the handicapped features don't bother me at all (except maybe for the single sink but that's not a deal breaker). I was more curious if it was likely to get bumped but I didn't even think about them not really knowing if there was an actual medical need or not.

If is is a charter, the cabin assignments are made by the whomever is chartering the ship and HAL is not involved. The usual upgrade rules do not apply.

Since the charter turned unsold cabins over to interline travel, who knows if they would do any upgrades.