Quick thoughts from Veendam

1ANGELCAT

We're booked on Veendam for the fall, med cruise. Looking forward to the additional hot tubs. Didn't know there are cabanas on her now. Thanks for the tip, will inquire. m--

That's news to me, also. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no cabanas on the Veendam, and there never were.

The confusion could be because the Lido Aft is called "The Retreat", but that term is a totally different interpretation of "Retreat" than found on the fleet's large ships.

Thanks for the clarification Ruth. I know I enjoyed a few Margaritas while in those hot tubs and was beginning to wonder how I missed them! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's news to me, also. [emoji848]

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Sheila it's good to "see" you ! We were on Veendam together in 2012 to Bermuda. I've wanted to share this picture of the two of us with you doing our "wave" for the webcam in NYC! So glad to see you and I hope all is well!

8db32aedbda1955d0caee98728927d57.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

Sheila it's good to "see" you ! We were on Veendam together in 2012 to Bermuda. I've wanted to share this picture of the two of us with you doing our "wave" for the webcam in NYC! So glad to see you and I hope all is well!

8db32aedbda1955d0caee98728927d57.jpg

Oh my! Thank you so much for posting that!❤️. I remember that so well...I'm amazed they got a pic! It was so nice to meet you and your Husband. It was awesome to cruise out of NYC and by the Statue of Liberty. We did the cruise again from Boston and it was just not the same.

The orange lei was for the CC sail away but as I recall, you and I were the only ones who showed up!

All ships are built w/ a certain passenger capacity..Carnivore Corp decided to squeeze more $$$ out of HAL by adding more cabins to all their ships
Love that name!

We cruised the Rotterdam, and I couldn't figure out their wading pool in the retreat. All those deck chairs in the water, I kept wondering how the waiters were going to bring the drinks, there was really no walkway to approach the people reclining on the chairs in the water. Then there's the whole glass in the pool worry, but I'm assuming they use plastic glasses.

How do they save those deck recliners in the water? Do they bring their bags, and get them dumped in the water by not too happy people that don't care for chair hogs?

We're booked on the Veendam next year. I think I can still use the Retreat for my usual purpose, taking photos. I bet it will be better than the Liberty of the Seas last year, three miles of hallways and forever waits at the elevators.

Oh my! Thank you so much for posting that!❤️. I remember that so well...I'm amazed they got a pic! It was so nice to meet you and your Husband. It was awesome to cruise out of NYC and by the Statue of Liberty. We did the cruise again from Boston and it was just not the same.

The orange lei was for the CC sail away but as I recall, you and I were the only ones who showed up!

You're welcome! I've had that in a folder for a long time! My husband took this photo!

Yes I think you're right it was just us! lol

Same thing happened to us this last cruise on Eurodam. Just me and one other showed up for the cc meet and greet. Oh well!

I think there is only one primarily negative but always predictable comment here about the Veendam. All of the older, smaller HAL ships come with compromises compared to the newer models, so go with realistic expectations and enjoy their timeless beauty and grace because these smaller ones may not be with us much longer. It seems most of the negative reviews are from people who had pre-conceptions of what a "modern cruise ship" should be.
I agree with you. We were on the Maasdam 14 day Alaska cruise last August which I think may be the Veendam's sister ship. It was our first HAL cruise and my wife and I really enjoyed it. It gave us the overall cruise experience that we were looking for and haven't found on the other three cruise lines that we previously sailed on. When my wife saw the itinerary offered in December on the Veendam and told me about it, we both became very excited and booked it. Hopefully HAL will keep the small ship experience going for a very long time.

We enjoyed our Bermuda trip on the Veendam a couple of years ago and hope to make it again. She is an older ship but still lovely with a marvelous crew. Our stateroom was an aft corner, and we enjoyed the extra room on it as well as the aft deck right outside our door. That was a very relaxed trip from start to finish which I attribute to the 3 day stop in Hamilton.

We enjoyed our Bermuda trip on the Veendam a couple of years ago and hope to make it again. She is an older ship but still lovely with a marvelous crew. Our stateroom was an aft corner, and we enjoyed the extra room on it as well as the aft deck right outside our door. That was a very relaxed trip from start to finish which I attribute to the 3 day stop in Hamilton.

Plus add the Veendam being able to dock down town, instead of out in the industrial ports where the larger ships must go. Loving those smaller ships.

Arrived in Bermuda about 1 PM

All is well

Was a great sail down. Very smooth and sunny.

Actually had an officers cocktail party last eve. Not very many people there.

The hands on cooking class for 5 star is Thursday when we sail.

Had the Filipino crew show this morning in honor of their 119th Independence Day [emoji3]

They are enforcing the dress code in the dining room. No shorts in the evening.

That's all for now.

Time for dinner[emoji3]

I know the staterooms you're referring to. Love those...have been in them on the ryndam, maasdam, and Veendam! I hope to make it again next year to Bermuda... for our 50th! ❤️