Dress blues too dressy?

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago when I was still on active duty (Navy), I wore my dress whites for one of the formal nights. It drew a lot of attention, and at times during the evening fellow guests would stop me and ask me technical questions about the ship (thinking I was one of the ship's officers). :o

I had several drinks bought for me before that night was over! ;):D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not only is it appropriate, he will be the most appropriately dressed person there! Honey, a dress uniform is accepted and appropriate everywhere, for all and any occasion! Expect a lot of people thank him for his service, shake his hand and salute him! Have a WONDERFUL Cruise!

• Like 1

Just cruised on Pride last month and wore Dinner Dress Whites for Elegant Night. The wife and I had our picture taken with the Captain. I've worn my Dinner Dress uniform every cruise, and have seen folks wearing their uniforms as well. I only saw one other guy this time, a Navy Senior Chief in his Dress Whites (aka Choker Whites). And yes, I was asked questions about the ship, the schedule and other technical questions by other guests who mistakenly assumed I was one of the ship's officers. :')

Capt-XL.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Wondering if it's acceptable for my husband, who is active duty military to wear his dress blues on formal night?

Absolutely!! I'm military as well and I've worn my service dress for formal night... just be ready to be stopped a lot and thanked for your service... It's humbling and I definitely wasn't ready for that much gratitude.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, swodog94 said:

Just cruised on Pride last month and wore Dinner Dress Whites for Elegant Night. The wife and I had our picture taken with the Captain. I've worn my Dinner Dress uniform every cruise, and have seen folks wearing their uniforms as well. I only saw one other guy this time, a Navy Senior Chief in his Dress Whites (aka Choker Whites). And yes, I was asked questions about the ship, the schedule and other technical questions by other guests who mistakenly assumed I was one of the ship's officers. :')

Capt-XL.jpg

On 6/17/2017 at 7:47 PM, LindsayCumber1997 said:

Wondering if it's acceptable for my husband, who is active duty military to wear his dress blues on formal night?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope your hubby wore his uniform and if so y'all were probably the best looking couple on board.

On 8/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, swodog94 said:

Capt-XL.jpg

Look at you two. Most handsome and beautiful couple on board! Thanks for wearing it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, I’m not sure what service your husband is in, but I can tell you what the US Army’s AR 670-1 says about wear of the Dress Blues:

13–3. Occasions for wear

a. All-purpose wear. The male service/dress uniform is authorized for wear on and off duty, on and off the installation, unless restricted by the commander. The male service/dress uniform is not intended for wear as an allpurpose uniform when other uniforms are more appropriate.

b. Approved wear. The male service/dress uniform is prescribed for year-round wear for all Soldiers, unless otherwise directed by the commander. Soldiers may wear variations of the male service/dress uniform:

(1) On duty when prescribed by the local commander.

(2) At social functions of a private or official nature, either before or after retreat, and while in transit to and from such functions. The male service/dress uniform is normally considered appropriate for social or official functions off the installation, such as memorial services, funerals, weddings, inaugurals, patriotic ceremonies, and similar functions.

(3) When designated by the host of an event.

(4) On other appropriate occasions, as desired by the individual.

(5) Soldiers may wear the male service/dress uniform for commercial travel IAW paragraph 3–7b through c.

c. Restrictions on wear.

(1) Personnel may not wear male service/dress uniform in off-post establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the off-post establishment sells alcohol and food, Soldiers may not wear the male service/dress uniform if their activities in the establishment center on the drinking of alcohol.

(2) Commanders may further restrict wear of the male service/dress uniform IAW paragraph 2–6c.

Now I’m not sure how cruise ships fall under “establishment center on the drinking of alcohol”, as some I’ve been on seemed to have quite a bit of booze flowing. ;-) but it looks like its good to go for formal nights.

Oh, the paragraphs for blue and white mess dress are different paragraphs but are basically the same.

Edited by grahamfam3

2 hours ago, grahamfam3 said:

Well, I’m not sure what service your husband is in, but I can tell you what the US Army’s AR 670-1 says about wear of the Dress Blues:

That's the beauty of the military, there IS a regulation, you just need to find the right one.  When I transitioned out of the military the lack of documentation in many companies was one of the things I didn't expect.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:13 PM, CruiseDigits said:

That's the beauty of the military, there IS a regulation, you just need to find the right one.  When I transitioned out of the military the lack of documentation in many companies was one of the things I didn't expect.

That gave me a good laugh! The first 2 years that DH was in corporate America from 30 years in service he would constantly come home shaking his head in disgust and say things like “They have no processes!” 🙃🤭 I still once in a while have to remind him that it isn’t and never will be the Marine Corps. But I can see it would be easy to get used to people taking responsibility, people pulling their weight on a team, and those in higher positions showing respect to those they lead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a note for Canadian’s you will have to get permission to wear it. Normally you are NOT allowed to wear your uniform outside of the country, and Mess Kit is considered a uniform.   There is the check mark on the leave pass, that needs to be checked, we got permission as the ship was registered in a Commonwealth country, and that we would be at sea on the formal nights. 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:24 AM, grahamfam3 said:

13–3. Occasions for wear

a. All-purpose wear. The male service/dress uniform is authorized for wear on and off duty, on and off the installation, unless restricted by the commander. The male service/dress uniform is not intended for wear as an allpurpose uniform when other uniforms are more appropriate.

b. Approved wear. The male service/dress uniform is prescribed for year-round wear for all Soldiers, unless otherwise directed by the commander. Soldiers may wear variations of the male service/dress uniform:

(1) On duty when prescribed by the local commander.

(2) At social functions of a private or official nature, either before or after retreat, and while in transit to and from such functions. The male service/dress uniform is normally considered appropriate for social or official functions off the installation, such as memorial services, funerals, weddings, inaugurals, patriotic ceremonies, and similar functions.

(3) When designated by the host of an event.

(4) On other appropriate occasions, as desired by the individual.

(5) Soldiers may wear the male service/dress uniform for commercial travel IAW paragraph 3–7b through c.

c. Restrictions on wear.

(1) Personnel may not wear male service/dress uniform in off-post establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the off-post establishment sells alcohol and food, Soldiers may not wear the male service/dress uniform if their activities in the establishment center on the drinking of alcohol.

(2) Commanders may further restrict wear of the male service/dress uniform IAW paragraph 2–6c.

Now I’m not sure how cruise ships fall under “establishment center on the drinking of alcohol”, as some I’ve been on seemed to have quite a bit of booze flowing. 😉 but it looks like its good to go for formal nights.

Oh, the paragraphs for blue and white mess dress are different paragraphs but are basically the same.

I don’t think the OPs question was about military regulations but rather other cruise line guest acceptance and reactions.  I think this question was asked in the same vain as a question in another section by a bride-to-be regarding wearing her wedding dress on gala night of her honeymoon cruise.  

And I think the answer is the same.:  Yes, that is fine.  You will stand out and draw attention to yourself, the vast majority of that attention will be extremely positive.  If you want that attention go for it.  However, if you and your spouse are private people who are looking for a quiet cruise where you focus just on each other rather than interact with many other cruisers, it would be counterproductive to that goal.

• 3 months later...

It' s always acceptable, IMO, but every service member is different.  Some like the attention, some detest it.  My husband, a retired O5, would not wear his because he would feel the whole night would be about his uniform, and that would make him uncomfortable.  Others don't mind.   It's very personal, but I feel never inappropriate, and there are many men who go NUTS over it.  Your call 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Wouldn't you decide on wearing it based on your cruise ?For example if you had a Italian or Greece cruise, unlike a Alaska or Caribbean...Would it still be smart to display any type of US military wear on the cruise??

Michael 

Edited by mpdog42
add

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was on a long Holland America cruise a few years ago and a tablemate was a retired USMC Captain who wore his dress uniform on formal nights.  I am a retired Navy person and looked up the regs when I got home.  I found that a retired Navy person could only wear his uniform to a strictly military function, while a USMC person did not have that restriction.  I found that it was acceptable to wear your miniature medals on your suit on formal occasions, though.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:47 PM, LindsayCumber1997 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely appropriate!  I am retired Navy O-5 and would not hesitate.  I have been on cruises where retired flag officers dressed out in Dinner Dress Uniforms...the most formal a Navy officer can dress. (equivalent to civilian Tuxedo wear) Wear the Service Dress Blues with pride!

• Like 1