Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

If it wasn't for the debate here on Cruise Critic, I probably would sail on my next Carnival cruise and not even notice that the table cloths are gone. That's how much I think they make a difference: ZERO. It was never fine dining to start with.

Edited by Tapi

That would be eating, not dining.

Some people love to throw labels around to make themselves look better than others . "That's eating , not dining"....."Be a traveler , not a tourist" is another one people throw around these boards.

Everyone enjoys their vacation in their own way and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else ....who cares?

Tablecloths or lack of them does not cheapen ones enjoyment. People who have to use labels to make themselves look better can try, only if we let them.

I prefer the table cloths.

1- they help dampen the sound, without them I think the ambient noise will significantly increase.

2- table cloths keep the table cleaner, doesn't this become a norovirus concern?

3- I don't want it to feel like I'm going out to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner, that's not special at all. I can do that at home. I didn't book a cruise to feel like every night we're going to cracker barrel.

4- when do we start throwing peanut shells on the floor?

I've always found that there are two types of cruisers, those that like the fine dining experience and those that wish the dining room was more like Applebees. You can't satisfy both so why not separate them by dining room. I'd gladly pay another $100 a ticket to choose a better dining option. Eating at the steakhouse every night isn't really an option, it would be if the menu changed a little and there were more appetizers to choose from.

Some people love to throw labels around to make themselves look better than others . "That's eating , not dining"....."Be a traveler , not a tourist" is another one people throw around these boards.

Everyone enjoys their vacation in their own way and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else ....who cares?

Tablecloths or lack of them does not cheapen ones enjoyment. People who have to use labels to make themselves look better can try, only if we let them.

Isn't this the truth! What's also the truth is that many "fine dining" restaurants don't use tablecloths. :rolleyes:

The people that do care.

And I disagree with your analogy. Tourist/traveler is how one acts. Dining and eating are two different kinds of activities.

Tablecloths or lack of them does not cheapen ones enjoyment. .

But those are your feelings....... To others it might cheapen there enjoyment.

Personally, I don't know till I experience it, whether I will like it or not :confused:

Isn't this the truth! What's also the truth is that many "fine dining" restaurants don't use tablecloths. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I think for some people the MDR on a cruise ship is their only shot at Haute Cuisine. Because if they really did frequent fine dining establishments , they wouldnt think the MDR is such a big deal.

If you need tablecloths, a tie around your neck and a gown to give you class. You probably didnt have any before you walked in the room

I don't care at all about it. The dining rooms on ships have never been "fine dining" to me. As long as the food is decent I don't care what the table setting looks like. I also probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for all the discussion here and on John Heald's FB page.