Another reason to keep sailing HAL

1ANGELCAT

There's a thread currently on the Royal forum asking about Catholic services being offered onboard.

The Op states they will be onboard the Allure for Ash Weds and when they contacted Royal to ask whether a priest would be onboard they were advised they could not guarantee it.

How sad for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There's a thread currently on the Royal forum asking about Catholic services being offered onboard.

The Op states they will be onboard the Allure for Ash Weds and when they contacted Royal to ask whether a priest would be onboard they were advised they could not guarantee it.

How sad for them.

Sure it's great for you, DH and Catholics. But since HAL is dropping the other services unless it is a world cruise or some such like cruises, having one religion's leader on board is great,but for the rest of us (which may not have our religion of choice or a service that is inter-denominatinal at the very least.) there seems to be a gap :eek:

I am happy it works out for you and for a number of people on board but there are more on board than Catholics ;) And Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Easter are as equally important to all that believe along with our normal worship days.

Edited by kazu

Just for the record, I'm not Catholic. My point was that Royal seems to make no attempt at all according to the thread.

Also, we did have Protestant Chaplain onboard OSDM crossing last November. I'm hoping there is one on the upcoming sailing.

How sad for them.

HAL or any cruise line will not guarantee a catholic priest or any other denomination. Our last HAL cruise their a layer minister doing a Catholic service for the passengers everyday.

Sure it's great for you, DH and Catholics. But since HAL is dropping the other services unless it is a world cruise or some such like cruises, having one religion's leader on board is great,but for the rest of us (which may not have our religion of choice or a service that is inter-denominatinal at the very least.) there seems to be a gap :eek:

I am happy it works out for you and for a number of people on board but there are more on board than Catholics ;) And Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Easter are as equally important to all that believe along with our normal worship days.

I agree with you -- we also are not catholic -- and now there is no guarantee whom will be on board to do the services.

If A non-Catholic were to come to me for ashes I would give them. When I started doing Chaplaincies on HAL over twenty years ago, HAL used to carry Protestant Minister on cruise of ten days or more. I do not know why it changed.

We had two inter-denomination services conducted by a Baptist minister during our January 6 12-day Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Very much appreciated!

I am a Catholic Priest and I am glad to hear you had A Baptist Minister for the inter-denominational service.

Edited by Himself

If A non-Catholic were to come to me for ashes I would give them. When I started doing Chaplaincies on HAL over twenty years ago, HAL used to carry Protestant Minister on cruise of ten days or more. I do not know why it changed.

Very nice. Crystal Carries a Priest on all ocean cruises and they routinely do weekly interdenominational services. Last Ash Wednesday I was on the Crystal Symphony and we were specifically invited to the Ash Wednesday and given ashes if we wished.

I hope that now that HAL no longer provides Protestant Chaplains more of HAL's Priests, like Himself, will take the initiative and lead ecumenical worship services.

Sadly, this Ash Wednesday will be my Koningsdam disembarkation day so I expect no service will be available.

Roy

On Tales of the South Pacific we had a priest, a minister and a rabbi. The priest and minister had daily services/devotionals. The rabbi had Friday evening services and all through Hanukkah, which maybe was why the rabbi was on board, as Jewish services are often done by passengers. It was especially nice to have all the clergy participate in a very special Veteran's Day / Remembrance Day service.

I was not aware that HAL is changing their pattern of having clergy aboard. I hope they maintain the chaplains. m--

I think the OP's focused mostly on Ash Wednesday, which is a very specific rite that has to happen on a very specific day with a very specific officiant, etc. When you get into the realm of inter-denominational worship, there's a lot more flexibility. I wonder, though, to what extent Holland America facilitates/invites ordained and lay worship leaders like myself to volunteer to offer something by way of inter-denominational worship.

I was going to say that I wouldn't be willing to do so, though, because invariably we'll have an early excursion scheduled, but on our next cruise, Sunday morning we'll be cruising the Inside Passage. Hmmm.

How very kind of you Himself :)

On one of our Celebrity cruises, the Protestant minister missed the ship. The Catholic priest filled in with an ecumenical service. After the service, he mentioned that he lived in a town near us. His table was adjacent to ours at dinner. We enjoyed seeing him around the ship and even invited him to join us for an independent tour of the botanical gardens in San Juan.

How sad for them.

If Ash Wednesday was really important to the cruiser, he would have asked about a priest before booking the cruise.

I wo

I am a Catholic Priest and I am glad to hear you had A Baptist Minister for the inter-denominational service.
Interdenominarional Really?

I wonder jjust how interdenominatrional one could acc urately call a it when there is no Rabbbi for Sabbath service, no Rrb abi fo Passover, f or Yom kippur, eeRosh Hashanah?

What about having an Imam? Do Thy ever? for Ramadan ?terdeonominaltrrional was like at the recent Inauguration whereer there were clergy form mots of the major faiths.

Edited by sail7seas

If Ash Wednesday was really important to the cruiser, he would have asked about a priest before booking the cruise.

Very true. I do the holiday booking for myself and my dad and look at itenery re where we would be on a Saturday evening or Sunday morning for him to attend mass as it's very important to him . Google has been my friend for this .For Alaska this year we're at sea on Saturday and off the ship early Sunday so I'm hoping there will be a mass of a priest is available on the Saturday he's aware that there is a possibility that there may be no priest and he accepts that as he says it's the times we live in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The officers are typically Dutch. While most Dutch are not religious, the majority of those who are are Catholic.

Ummm we're talking about less than 12% for Catholic versus less than 9% for Protestant. Not exactly a majority ;)