Ramps in port

iuki

Does your ECV get stuck on the hinge of the ramp when getting on and off the ship while in port? Which model scooter do you have?I have a Pride Go Go Traveler Plus and I have to get off the ECV while my hubby and/or crew member manually lift the ECV over the hinge. We also do that when leaving the deck through the sliding doors into the interior of the ship.Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with us.Judy (aka iuki)

Hi Judy,

I have the same type of scooter and have exactly the same problem when getting on or off the ship in ports. It is difficult for the ship not to have the "big hump" as the ship goes up and down due to the tide.

I do have some mobility so I always get off and let the crew push my scooter over the hump, always making sure it is out of gear first. I then get back on the scooter and let them roll me down the gangplank, a bit bumpy due to the foot holds but manageable on the way up I can usually drive as far as I can then let the crew get it back on the ship.

The crew, I have always found, are very helpful but never seem to know about knocking it out of gear. The knowledgeable ones sometimes get me back on the scooter put it into gear and they drive me up or down at their pace.

Pete

Hi Judy,

I have the same type of scooter and have exactly the same problem when getting on or off the ship in ports. It is difficult for the ship not to have the "big hump" as the ship goes up and down due to the tide.

I do have some mobility so I always get off and let the crew push my scooter over the hump, always making sure it is out of gear first. I then get back on the scooter and let them roll me down the gangplank, a bit bumpy due to the foot holds but manageable on the way up I can usually drive as far as I can then let the crew get it back on the ship.

The crew, I have always found, are very helpful but never seem to know about knocking it out of gear. The knowledgeable ones sometimes get me back on the scooter put it into gear and they drive me up or down at their pace.

Pete

Thank you so much for your response, Pete. I was beginning to wonder if it was only me. Lol. I do the same thing. When I get off the scooter, my hubby takes it out of gear immediately and “helps” the crew. We stop before getting on the ramp. The first time my scooter got stuck, the crew tried pushing the scooter and me over the hinge while the scooter was in gear. Pride scooters have a new one out Jazzy ZT (zero turn). It operates like a 3-wheel but has 4 wheels. It has a higher ground clearance, even though some specs show it as 1.3 inches while others show it at 3-4 inches. I test-drove it and my husband measured the ground clearance to the frame. It definitely is higher than my current scooter. It also has a suspension system in the front and in the back of the scooter, creating a smoother ride on bumpy streets and terrain.Again, thanks for your response.Judy

Hi Judy,

Do you find that you are invisible to able bodied, I'm the size of a small country :) but it seems as though I'm not there.

Pete

Oh yes. Especially when it comes to elevators. We will be at the elevators waiting to get on, and as soon as a door opens, everybody rushes in and we wind up waiting again. This always happens after muster and after the evening shows. Now we either go to the other end of the ship and catch those elevators, or go outside on the deck until the crowd clears. When we were younger, we always took the stairs if we only needed to go up or down a few flights. Not in today’s society. My hubby and I used to give up our bus seats, at WDW, to the elderly and pregnant women. We don’t see that anymore.It’s a whole new generation, isn’t it?

Hi Judy,

I never seem to have problems with lifts on cruise ships, I do wait my turn and if it's my turn I get on, if there are people who have pushed in front of me I get them to be "cosy" and "watch your toes" this has always worked for me, I suppose my size does help as even though I am in a scooter I am still intimidating, not that I mean to be.

I tend to find it is the older generation that is less tolerant to disabled persons rather than younger people but I haven't been on public transport for a long time.

People with mobile phones are the worse though no matter what age they are, the are too busy looking at their phone rather than the surroundings.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete!Just received my new ECV today. Now I have to practice a lot so that I can get the hang of parking in tight areas.It’s a Pride Jazzy Zero Turn which only comes in a 4-wheel scooter. It appears to have a higher ground clearance. I’ll let you know if I get stuck on the hinge of the ramp. Different websites show different ground clearance. So we measured it and compared it to my previous scooter. It’s definitely an upgrade from my previous scooter. But I could park my old scooter anyplace it could fit. Once, this guy on a transportation boat told me he was glad he didn’t have to park his scooter into the spot I had to park. He said he really didn’t think I could do it. LolNow I have to learn how to maneuver this scooter. Hope I won’t scratch it up during the break-in period.Leaving Dec 2 for a 2-week B2B on the Oasis. Will let you know how it turns out with the new scooter.Take care.Judy aka iuki

Hi Pete!Just received my new ECV today. Now I have to practice a lot so that I can get the hang of parking in tight areas.It’s a Pride Jazzy Zero Turn which only comes in a 4-wheel scooter. It appears to have a higher ground clearance. I’ll let you know if I get stuck on the hinge of the ramp. Different websites show different ground clearance. So we measured it and compared it to my previous scooter. It’s definitely an upgrade from my previous scooter. But I could park my old scooter anyplace it could fit. Once, this guy on a transportation boat told me he was glad he didn’t have to park his scooter into the spot I had to park. He said he really didn’t think I could do it. LolNow I have to learn how to maneuver this scooter. Hope I won’t scratch it up during the break-in period.Leaving Dec 2 for a 2-week B2B on the Oasis. Will let you know how it turns out with the new scooter.Take care.Judy aka iuki

Hi Judy,

Have a great time.

Pete

Hi Judy,

Do you find that you are invisible to able bodied, I'm the size of a small country :) but it seems as though I'm not there.

Pete

OMG I've been saying that. I'm like a Super Hero. As soon as I sit on my scooter I am invisible.Very frustrating. I don't want special preference. I just want the same courtesy given to walking pedestrians.

OMG I've been saying that. I'm like a Super Hero. As soon as I sit on my scooter I am invisible.Very frustrating. I don't want special preference. I just want the same courtesy given to walking pedestrians.

I agree. We now push both buttons and get on the first available one. Eventually it gets us there. Many people won’t even look at you and pretend they don’t see you, just to ease their conscience when they cut in front of you.

I agree. We now push both buttons and get on the first available one. Eventually it gets us there. Many people won’t even look at you and pretend they don’t see you, just to ease their conscience when they cut in front of you.

So true. If only... they were to spent one day in a wheelchair, one day...