Opinions appreciated about TAP Airlines

rkacruiser

My possible itinerary would be from Lisbon to the United States. Comments concerning the service, comfort of both Business Class and Economy Class, and cuisine are appreciated.

I have not found their web site particularly friendly to use as to looking at possible future flights.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

My possible itinerary would be from Lisbon to the United States. Comments concerning the service, comfort of both Business Class and Economy Class, and cuisine are appreciated.

I have not found their web site particularly friendly to use as to looking at possible future flights.

They were founded in the 1940/50s. They a reputable well established airlines. A bit smaller that most of the big guys but still a fair size.

Economy is fairly standard these days across most airlines. Nothing spectacular about TAP. At the same time nothing negative to say.

The business class is dated. It does not have all the bells and whistles of some of the refreshes that other airlines are doing. That said United has been working on deploying its Polaris refresh for a few years now and most flights still don't have it. I would say TAP international business is similar to what historically you would get on any of the US Major airlines

They are a star alliance partner. So you pick any star partner to credit miles to include United and Air Canada.

Lisbon is not a premium market the same way as Paris or London. Air Canada runs their Rouge product into that market. Not certain what United is doing these days, it use to be a 757. I would pick TAP over those two options.

Food and service are sketchy. They now have new updated business class with lie flat on a couple of routes — NY and BOS I think. Check carefully before paying or using miles, because their older product probably isn’t worth it for the premium.

Economy is about the same as anyone else unless you have access to main cabin extra or E+ on AA or UA.

The main advantage is you don’t need to change in Europe. If I had my choice I would probably prefer DL to JFK or United to EWR but if there’s a decent price difference, I’d probably be ok with TAP.

You can read my review of TAP here (post 2):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2578581

Hope it helps.