Recently back from Adventure OTS? Specialty dining promtions question

Hi All,

For anyone who was recently on Adventure OTS, did you notice any promotions once onboard for the specialty restaurants? I keep going back and forth with the BOGO because it's for the first and second night and we want to be in main dining room for formal (second) night. Some say that they have luck changing from the second night to another night while others say they are really strict. I realize this is true in both cases because while some get lucky, others do not. If it was just two of us, I'd take a gamble but this would be a birthday surprise for someone in our group of six so it's a pretty expensive gamble. To be honest, I know that many seem to swear by the specialty restaurants but we've never been disappointed in the main dining room either. Giovanni's just sounded really good with all the things that they bring you to try as soon as you're seated and it seems quite fun. We've done Chops before and it was fine. We did Wonderland and I'd do that one again for sure if we were on the Quantum class. I'm mainly just interested in Giovanni's for this sailing and our group of six. Has anyone been offered any promotions after getting on board or saw a First Night Done Right once onboard? Someone mentioned to me that during the voyage, they got about 40% off Giovanni's just by stopping at a table outside of the Windjammer that was promoting it. Anyone see or hear of anything like this? Just torn because of stipulations, prices and after seeing main dining room menus - been pretty impressed with those haha. I know this will come down to our preference and it's very subjective as what people prefer. Just looking to gather information before deciding. Thanks in advance!

What I did notice was that the 3, 4 and 5 night packages were slightly cheaper onboard than online prior to departure. However, I am pretty sure that they added a service charge onto those prices so they ended up being slightly more expensive if you waited until you were onboard to purchase.

I did not ask for any deals but they were heavily selling the specialty restaurants each day so I'm sure you could bargain. When they tell you the price, ask if service charge is included, because that will make it more $ than you expect if it is not.

I've seen a few posts regarding the BOGO and not wanting to miss the 2nd night in the MDR. May I ask your reason? If it is for the food, you can get better filet in the specialty restaurants than would ever be served in the MDR.

If you think you will miss lobster, it's not served the first formal night and on my cruises on Allure, as an example, the 2nd formal night I was served lobster tails that were far better than those served in the MDR.

I guess I am just trying to see why it is so important to eat in the MDR the first formal night. Thanks.

What I did notice was that the 3, 4 and 5 night packages were slightly cheaper onboard than online prior to departure. However, I am pretty sure that they added a service charge onto those prices so they ended up being slightly more expensive if you waited until you were onboard to purchase.

I did not ask for any deals but they were heavily selling the specialty restaurants each day so I'm sure you could bargain. When they tell you the price, ask if service charge is included, because that will make it more $ than you expect if it is not.

We have eaten in these places many times. The specialty restaurants price includes the service charge. If you want to add more that is up to you.

On our recent sailing they were advertising a 'buy more, pay less' promotion, up to I think four meals. Unfortunately I can't say whether it was better than the online price, but the advertised price worked out such that you paid about a dollar less for each additional meal you purchased.

I've seen a few posts regarding the BOGO and not wanting to miss the 2nd night in the MDR. May I ask your reason? If it is for the food, you can get better filet in the specialty restaurants than would ever be served in the MDR.

If you think you will miss lobster, it's not served the first formal night and on my cruises on Allure, as an example, the 2nd formal night I was served lobster tails that were far better than those served in the MDR.

I guess I am just trying to see why it is so important to eat in the MDR the first formal night. Thanks.

Hi there!

I understand your question. I will be honest - we really do enjoy the the main dining room and seeing more people. One of our favorite things on past cruises was sitting at large tables and meeting other people. MTD and other options, along with smaller tables really took that away though. We just like being with a larger crowd and seeing everyone dressed up on formal night. I've emailed RC and asked if possible - and if they still had larger tables - that we'd love to be with another couple or two. I did get a response back that it will be noted and they will do their best.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses. What's really interesting is that I started to look at a few Cruies Compasses from recent Adventure cruises and it states that Giovanni's table is a $28 charge. It's listed for $35 on the Cruise Planner and the "BOGO" is $40. Since I'm really only interested in that restaurant, it would be cheapest for me to just book on board. I can't figure out why it would be an additional $7/person before hand unless they are saying that you are guaranteed your specific time requested. I'm just going to hold out and after looking at some of the menus in the main dining room, hearing about the themed meals in the WJ, I feel like I already have too many things that I want to try and not enough days to eat them haha! Giovanni's does still sound really fun and I might look into it. Maybe even try them for lunch one day...

... I started to look at a few Cruies Compasses from recent Adventure cruises and it states that Giovanni's table is a $28 charge. It's listed for $35 on the Cruise Planner and the "BOGO" is $40. Since I'm really only interested in that restaurant, it would be cheapest for me to just book on board. I can't figure out why it would be an additional $7/person before hand unless they are saying that you are guaranteed your specific time requested.

If it is $28 onboard they will add 18% gratuity so it will really be $33 pp. If you prebook on the CruisePlanner it includes service charge. The 2 night BOGO is $40 so that's really $20 per night pp and it includes service charge.

We did the D+ Bogo last cruise and since we booked onboard they charged us the onboard price plus 18% iirc (then the waiter asked for an additional tip when he gave us the check).

If you pay the full nightly price on the Cruise Planner, then yes, you can choose a specific time as opposed to the dining plans where you choose your first night time only and they choose the restaurant and then you have to wait to book the rest of your nights once you are onboard.

Edited by marci22