Do I collect my luggage ?

irenedee

Please pardon my newbie question. We will soon be flying BA, North America to Heathrow. We will have a 2hr layover and then our journey continues from Heathrow to Italy on LH

Do I need to collect my luggage at Heathrow or does BA transfer the luggage to LH. I know that I will clear customs at Heathrow, just not sure about the luggage

With thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please pardon my newbie question. We will soon be flying BA, North America to Heathrow. We will have a 2hr layover and then our journey continues from Heathrow to Italy on LH

Do I need to collect my luggage at Heathrow or does BA transfer the luggage to LH. I know that I will clear customs at Heathrow, just not sure about the luggage

Your luggage will be transfered for you. You will see it again in Italy.

You will not clear customs in London. You will not clear immigration in London.

You will do both in Italy, assuming that you have a non-stop from LHR to "Italy". However, since you say you are flying Lufthansa from London, I'm wondering if you have another segment in there from LHR to either FRA or MUC and then on to "Italy". If so, you will perform immigration formalities at that connection and customs on arrival in "Italy".

Your luggage will be transfered for you. You will see it again in Italy.

You will not clear customs in London. You will not clear immigration in London.

You will do both in Italy, assuming that you have a non-stop from LHR to "Italy". However, since you say you are flying Lufthansa from London, I'm wondering if you have another segment in there from LHR to either FRA or MUC and then on to "Italy". If so, you will perform immigration formalities at that connection and customs on arrival in "Italy".

My thought as well. LH doesn't fly Italy non-stop to LHR.

Codeshare on some other airline perhaps but I can't think of any since mainline BD's demise.

It is odd. Alitalia and BA are the only two between Heathrow and Rome. Choices from other cities in Italy would be even less.

Does the op have a single ticket, or two seperate tickets? If the latter, luggage will have to be collected, and there is insufficient time to catch the flight to Italy, which, as has been said, is not on LH.

More detailed information is required before the question can be accurately answered.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

With thanks

If you fly Lufthansa from London to Italy you will have to pick up your luggage at Heathrow. When you connect in Germany your luggage will be transfered to your next flight so you don't have to pick it up there.

A 2hr layover at Heathrow is not much, especially not when you have to get landside to pick up your luggage, get to another terminal, drop your bag, go through security and walk to your gate.

Looks like I was incorrect in my original post, so sorry for the confusion

We fly BA - YYZ to LHR - 2 hr layover - then we continue with BA - LHR to VCE

If I’m reading your replies correctly, I don’t collect my luggage and I don’t clear customs and immigration until Italy. We stay in T5, so I’m hoping the 2hr layover is sufficient. We are also business class which someone told me has priority lines

The return trip is on LH - BCN to FRA - 2hr layover then - FRA to YYZ - also business and no terminal change. Can I assume the luggage transfer will also be handled for me on the return trip

I appreciate your comments and advice and again so sorry for the previous errors

Looks like I was incorrect in my original post, so sorry for the confusion

If I’m reading your replies correctly, I don’t collect my luggage and I don’t clear customs and immigration until Italy. We stay in T5, so I’m hoping the 2hr layover is sufficient. We are also business class which someone told me has priority lines

The return trip is on LH - BCN to FRA - 2hr layover then - FRA to YYZ - also business and no terminal change. Can I assume the luggage transfer will also be handled for me on the return trip

I appreciate your comments and advice and again so sorry for the previous errors

No problem then, you won't have to pick up your bags at Heathrow, or in Frankfurt.

2 hours shall be enough. The flights from North America to Heathrow often land early so don't worry.

Yes, your luggage will transfer.

But no, you will not be in the same Terminal. You may come into Terminal B, which could include a bus ride and certainly some walking. Or you could arrive at Terminal A. You will depart out of Terminal Z, which is upstairs of Terminal A. But you will go through security/Immigration checks going from A to Z.

Yes, you are correct. No immigration or customs, just security. Follow the purple signs for Flight Connections. When you take the escalator or elevator up from the transit train follow the path round to the right (the UK Border is to the left) and look for the black and white "Fast Track" signs. You'll go through a boarding pass check first then upstairs to security.

Flying to VCE chances are you'll go from the main Terminal 5 building. If so you have two sets of "Galleries Club" lounges to access. The southern one is larger but generally a little busier, but you can get a shower in the Elemis Spa at south lounge complex. If you are flying from the B gates there is another lounge there, but the C gates have no lounge.

No problem then, you won't have to pick up your bags at Heathrow, or in Frankfurt.

2 hours shall be enough. The flights from North America to Heathrow often land early so don't worry.

You will have to go through security again. This time it is only a line for connecting passengers. Since your traveling business class you should have access to the "Fast Track" lane.

In Toronto you will also have access to the express lane through security.

• 2 weeks later...
Flying to VCE chances are you'll go from the main Terminal 5 building. If so you have two sets of "Galleries Club" lounges to access. The southern one is larger but generally a little busier, but you can get a shower in the Elemis Spa at south lounge complex. If you are flying from the B gates there is another lounge there, but the C gates have no lounge.
For completeness: In the main building (aka T5A, where the A gates are), the other Galleries Club lounge is at the north end of the building, and it also has showers. The T5B (B gates) lounge has showers as well.