Best spot for Meet & Greet on R Class ships?

MisterBill99

OK so I think I want to do it between muster and sail-away. Can I contact someone at Oceania in advance to reserve a space for us in Horizons or will I need to wait until I get on the ship?

If you just want the space just see the concierge once onboard or the GM

IME

no need for cabin numbers & list of names

Just tell people to show up

it will all work out

If you want an organized meet then provide the Concierge with a list of names & cabin number & they will send out invites for a time & place that fits THEIR schedule

A friend of mine on a cruise a few years ago was setting up a M&G on a subsequent cruise and said that at that time they wanted you to email the staff ahead of time. That's probably about the time I just started setting them up for right after the boat drill. And our groups were small enough that this worked out well. The big problem there is figuring out what email address you need!

Despite what was said earlier, it can entirely depend on the size of your group. IF you are small (say under 30 people), I'd say just go to Horizons when you want. If you are large --I've had groups that were more than 100 -- then you really do need to arrange things with the staff.

For my last two M&Gs on a B2B this past May, I used my TA who was on board a couple of months earlier who arranged things for us. That's the ONLY time I had that benefit!

I should add that we ended up using the Sanctuary (on Riviera) for these last two M&Gs (port forward on Deck 14 as I recall, but double check that) and it was really lovely. The limit is 50 people. But it's a lovely area and they will provide wait staff for drinks, etc.

Usually in the past I took in a list to the concierge (assuming we're going to be doing the festivities a day or two later). One benefit there was that the ship sent out invites to all the listed participants.

If you are on a port intensive cruise, and especially if members have set up private tours in advance and want to meet each other before the tour, then it's advisable to just get together on your own the night before your tour.

There's more to say but I am forgetting what it is right now! But in my experience it really isn't that difficult. I have spent more time making up personalized name tags than I have setting up the event.

Mostly.

Mura

A friend of mine on a cruise a few years ago was setting up a M&G on a subsequent cruise and said that at that time they wanted you to email the staff ahead of time. That's probably about the time I just started setting them up for right after the boat drill. And our groups were small enough that this worked out well. The big problem there is figuring out what email address you need!

Yes, it would be nice if there were a person to email. When I organized a M&G on my recent HAL cruise, there was a form to fill out and a group events coordinator you emailed it to. Everything was set up when I got on the ship. They did not send invites as there was a charge for that and I had no interest in paying it. Still got an excellent turnout.

For this cruise, Id imagine that there will be less than 20 people attending. I guess I will look for the concierge once I board to see if I can get an area blocked off.

You can go to the Oceania website and email guest Services with the request and info. That is what I did and they passed it on to the Concierge on the Ship. It is good to do as the Concierge is very busy on Embarkation Day.

You can go to the Oceania website and email guest Services with the request and info. That is what I did and they passed it on to the Concierge on the Ship. It is good to do as the Concierge is very busy on Embarkation Day.

Unfortunately, Guest Services is not an option in the pulldown on the Contact Us page.

Not sure if I should choose Reservations or General Questions.

Despite what was said earlier, it can entirely depend on the size of your group. IF you are small (say under 30 people), I'd say just go to Horizons when you want. If you are large --I've had groups that were more than 100 -- then you really do need to arrange things with the staff.

For my last two M&Gs on a B2B this past May, I used my TA who was on board a couple of months earlier who arranged things for us. That's the ONLY time I had that benefit!

I should add that we ended up using the Sanctuary (on Riviera) for these last two M&Gs (port forward on Deck 14 as I recall, but double check that) and it was really lovely. The limit is 50 people. But it's a lovely area and they will provide wait staff for drinks, etc.

Usually in the past I took in a list to the concierge (assuming we're going to be doing the festivities a day or two later). One benefit there was that the ship sent out invites to all the listed participants.

If you are on a port intensive cruise, and especially if members have set up private tours in advance and want to meet each other before the tour, then it's advisable to just get together on your own the night before your tour.

There's more to say but I am forgetting what it is right now! But in my experience it really isn't that difficult. I have spent more time making up personalized name tags than I have setting up the event.

Mostly.

Mura

I've been in that area many times and never knew it was called the Sanctuary.

Your email may get passed around & you may never get a confirmation

try

specialservices@oceaniacruises.com

So I wrote to them and got this reply. I'm not sure if the "cocktails and h'orderves" she mentions would be complementary. I'm guessing there would be a charge but I would be happy if I am wrong. Anyway, I guess I'll look for one of the people mentioned when we get on the ship.

Thank you for contacting the Special services desk at Oceania Cruises.

Please be advised a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet needs to be arranged onboard with the Executive Concierge and Cruise Hostess. We are not able to pre-arrange anything prior to embarkation unless you want to arrange cocktails and h'orderves.

Let us know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Oceania Cruises and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

".... Please be advised a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet needs to be arranged onboard with the Executive Concierge and Cruise Hostess. We are not able to pre-arrange anything prior to embarkation unless you want to arrange cocktails and h'orderves."
I always meet up with the Exec Concierge to finalize my M&Gs but can't for the life of me recall meeting with a "Cruise Hostess" on any Oceania ship. :confused:

~ Linda

Update - there would be a charge for the cocktails and h'orderves.

Yes if you want the package it is not free you will be footing the bill

Just ask for the space to be set up once onboard

We just do the buy your own drinks & they will usually supply chips/nuts/pretzels just like at Happy hour

No, just make sure they know it's a cash bar! I wouldn't have signed for everyone in our group that first time either but my husband became aware of the problem and we corrected the situation.

BUT if you have a large group and aren't aware until the end that you weren't paying the whole bill, that could cause a kerfluffle ... even if you refuse to sign!

Best to deal with it ahead of time.

I do add that because of that first time we have always made sure that they know it's a cash bar. And I tell the bartender as well. Truth to tell, I haven't had to do that for some years ago ... but in the early days, I did.

Mura

I always meet up with the Exec Concierge to finalize my M&Gs but can't for the life of me recall meeting with a "Cruise Hostess" on any Oceania ship. :confused:

BTW where am I likely to find the Exec. Concierge when I arrive on the ship? I assume I go to guest services and ask for them?

BTW where am I likely to find the Exec. Concierge when I arrive on the ship? I assume I go to guest services and ask for them?

The Executive Concierge is stationed in the Executive Lounge which may be found on Deck 11 of the Marina and Riviera only; serving Suite passengers, exclusively.

x_120816.jpg

You'll find another Concierge through Guest Services.

~ Linda

I've never set up a meet and greet but have interacted with the Social Hostess on many Oceania ships. They do needlepoint, assist at the Repeaters party & Captain's welcome, fill out the table at hosted dinners, etc.

On the Marina recently they were trying to increase her visibility by giving the answers to the Mensa questions(daily quiz) after trivia.

The Executive Concierge is stationed in the Executive Lounge which may be found on Deck 11 of the Marina and Riviera only; serving Suite passengers, exclusively.

You'll find another Concierge through Guest Services.

Bolding is mine.

Jim, I think your statement needs some clarification. Oceania's concierge terminology can be confusing.

When I'm the organizer for a roll call's M&G, I go to Reception/Guest Services sometime after boarding, introduce myself and ask to speak to the Executive Concierge. I'm prepared to wait or come back later, knowing boarding days are especially busy for them.

The confusing labels for "concierge" became more apparent to me last year when I told a fellow M&G organizer to "talk to the Executive Concierge" after boarding. I neglected to say she should ask for him at Reception (the staff there report directly to him). She later told me she kept looking for him in the Executive Lounge. The concierge there is not the ship's Executive Concierge who is accessed through Reception or at his desk in the Atrium (on the O ships) when on duty. That is the person who assists with M&G location and time confirmations.

~ Linda

When I'm the organizer for a roll call's M&G, I go to Reception/Guest Services sometime after boarding, introduce myself and ask to speak to the Executive Concierge. I'm prepared to wait or come back later, knowing boarding days are especially busy for them.

Thanks, I will do that. I can even leave my cell phone number so they can call me if it's easier, since my phone will work while we're in port (and the rest of the US, until we get too far from shore).

So, we're on the ship. First stop was to Guest Services where they told me that the executive concierge was busy in the terminal and then had to do other stuff. They took my cabin number but made no offer to set up a section for us in Horizons. Looks like I'll be on my own.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app