Time Needed to Catch Cruise Leaving Sydney

We are interested in the 2 cruises below:

Cruise #1

Sea Princess 7 days sailing (Sunday December 9 to Sunday December 16.) Cruise itinerary is below:

Brisbane, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, Willis Island, Brisbane.

Cruise #2

Sun Princess 7 days sailing (Sunday December 16 to Sunday December 23.) Cruise itinerary is below:

Sydney, Hobart, Port Arthur, Burnie, Melbourne, Sydney

As cruise #1 ends in Brisbane on December 16 (ship itinerary shows that it docks at 7AM) and cruise #2 starts at Sydney also on December 16 (ship itinerary shows that it leaves at 4PM) . We are wondering if there is enough time to fly from Brisbane to Sydney and catch the Sun Princess cruise?

Thanks so much

We are interested in the 2 cruises below:

Cruise #1

Sea Princess 7 days sailing (Sunday December 9 to Sunday December 16.) Cruise itinerary is below:

Brisbane, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, Willis Island, Brisbane.

Cruise #2

Sun Princess 7 days sailing (Sunday December 16 to Sunday December 23.) Cruise itinerary is below:

Sydney, Hobart, Port Arthur, Burnie, Melbourne, Sydney

As cruise #1 ends in Brisbane on December 16 (ship itinerary shows that it docks at 7AM) and cruise #2 starts at Sydney also on December 16 (ship itinerary shows that it leaves at 4PM) . We are wondering if there is enough time to fly from Brisbane to Sydney and catch the Sun Princess cruise?

Thanks so much

You normally need to board by 2 at the absolute latest for a 4 departure. But let’s ignore that part for now

So you got nine hours let’s try and break it down.

An hour for disembark

An hour or perhaps two to get your luggage and get to bris airport, but let’s say do carry of so just 1

An hour flight plus you need to check in 1/2 hour prior, so 1 1/2 there (and that assumes you can get a flight at exactly the right time)

2 hours to collect you luggage, get through the airport find a cab and get to White Bay

So if everything goes exactly to plan, you might manage it, but one small glitch and you are dead, I wouldn’t risk the cruise fare on it, that’s for sure.

We are often (at least a few times a year) on a cruise leaving from Sydney and we always fly the same morning as the cruise. I think you can make it OK.

During summer (while NSW is one hour ahead of Queensland time) we usually take the 8.05am Qantas flight. This arrives in Sydney by 10.35. We would be in a taxi 45 minutes later, then at the ship around midday. You would not be able to get an 8.05am flight, but if we work on the Qantas 10.05 am flight (arrive Sydney 12.40) you would be at the ship around 2pm. Portside where the Sea Princess docks is less than 30 minutes drive from the airport. The ship docks at 7am. If you ask for the earliest disembarkation you would get off the ship a bit after 7.30. Pick up luggage, through customs and in a taxi by 7.45 (but lets call it 8am). You would be at the airport by 8.30. The absolute latest check-in time is 30 minutes before the flight. In my opinion, booking the 9.05 flight would be risky, but the 10.05 flight would give you time to allow for a slight delay somewhere in the schedule.

For extra 'insurance' I suggest you book Qantas. We find that their flight times are more reliable than some other airlines.

I'd give you a 90% chance of doing it. Especially if you are traveling light.

Just make sure your insurance will cover the 10%.

Remember that because of the time zone difference between Brisbane and Sydney, you have one less hour than you think.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

For me the risk is the estimated time of arrival in Brisbane. I would check how long the cruise line says you should allow between arrival and departure by plane. If you book a flight less than the recommended time, I doubt you'd be covered by insurance.

As others have said possibly doable but risky.

Worst case you could fly down to Hobart easily and catch the cruise, just saying if you miss it, and without missing any other key travel sights.

If it's something you really want to do, it's feasible, with a contingency plan so I'd go ahead. All things considered you're likely to make it and even the worst case is still recoverable.

I outlined the timing in my earlier post. I believe the OP could easily do this. The only factor that could intervene would be the very rare time when the Sea P returns into Brisbane late on the Saturday morning. They do their utmost to get in on time because there is another cruise scheduled to leave.

We live in Brisbane and I posted my comments based on personal knowledge. We have flown Brisbane to Sydney to get on a cruise ship on a couple of dozen occasions and always boarded around noon. We book an 8.05 flight in summer and a 9.05 flight in winter (difference because of daylight saving in NSW.) I do not think the OP will have any problem.