Illness not death of family member (Allianz)

zitsky

Like a thousand other people, considering buying trip insurance for the first time. TA is quoting me Allianz at what I think is a reasonable price about $350/pp.

It is possible we have to deal with illness of a family member but not necessarily death. Does Allianz or anyone else cover this? I have reviewed conditions and don't see this mentioned.

Also, I have read on a few threads that Allianz will throw in pre-existing coverage if you purchase in a week or so after getting the quote? Is this still true? Both my partner and I have medical conditions that could possibly affect our travel. It's not likely, just possible.

Like a thousand other people, considering buying trip insurance for the first time. TA is quoting me Allianz at what I think is a reasonable price about $350/pp.

It is possible we have to deal with illness of a family member but not necessarily death. Does Allianz or anyone else cover this? I have reviewed conditions and don't see this mentioned.

Also, I have read on a few threads that Allianz will throw in pre-existing coverage if you purchase in a week or so after getting the quote? Is this still true? Both my partner and I have medical conditions that could possibly affect our travel. It's not likely, just possible.

You need answers from the insurer, not anonymous posters on an internet website.

But we always suggest contacting an insurance broker, who can help you choose from different policies from different insurers (the insurer pays the commission, not the traveler).

We use:

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and to the best of our knowledge, that "window" is from first deposit, not date of quote.

But ask Allianz if you think this is a feature they offer.

There is at least one company that offers the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion, if one purchases the policy within 24 hours of FINAL payment (defined narrowly, for obvious reasons).

The fine print can really matter, so don't make any assumptions.

It should all be spelled right out in the policy terms. If not, it isn't covered.

Also, the price is impossible for us to evaluate.

It depends upon cost of trip, type of coverage, and often age of travelers.

ETA: We use Travel Insured, through TIS.

GC

Sounds expensive. Just paid $450 for the two of us on a trip costing $6500

Thanks. The value of asking on an internet forum is that you get the benefit of the experience of the members. I will check out that website.

Take the comments about price with a grain of salt, etc.

As I mentioned above, it usually depends upon the cost of trip, age of travelers, exact types of coverage, and in some cases, length of trip... and possibly other factors.

CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) usually adds a few percent (of trip cost, not insurance cost).

There are lots of other choices that might add slightly, such as primary vs. secondary coverage.

Our coverage includes any illness/etc., of non-traveling family members without worrying about pre-existing conditions. I've read (but have NO first hand knowledge) that some policies are more restrictive.

Best to DISCUSS your questions/needs completely.

CALL them.

Let Steve (at TIS) "pick your brain". His questions to us early on not only helped us find the right policy, but in one case, helped him to help us to AVOID a policy that would NOT have worked for us... and if we had just purchased it on line, we wouldn't have known unless/until we made a claim.

And they'll help with claims if there are problems, but we've had no difficulties from Travel Insured, despite several claims (including two big ones).

GC

NBBaker: Could you please say more about your coverage which is so inexpensive that also covers cancellation for any reason? I'd thought that kind of coverage was very expensive. Who is your agent? Which is the company? Thanks a lot.

NBBaker: Could you please say more about your coverage which is so inexpensive that also covers cancellation for any reason? I'd thought that kind of coverage was very expensive. Who is your agent? Which is the company? Thanks a lot.

Sure. We go to insuremytrip.com, put in details about our trip and our selves, and get quotes from a dozen or more companies, and with different levels of coverage. We've used about 3 different companies over the years, and have needed to file claims with 2 of them (1 due to trip delay, and 1 due to our need to cancel). We've always had excellent service. Also if you want benefits like CFAR, or have pre-existing conditions, the dates when you purchase are very important. We always purchase the day we book our cruise.

Sure. We go to insuremytrip.com, put in details about our trip and our selves, and get quotes from a dozen or more companies, and with different levels of coverage. We've used about 3 different companies over the years, and have needed to file claims with 2 of them (1 due to trip delay, and 1 due to our need to cancel). We've always had excellent service. Also if you want benefits like CFAR, or have pre-existing conditions, the dates when you purchase are very important. We always purchase the day we book our cruise.

I like that site as well. I just used them last week to book my policy for my cruise this coming Thursday. It was $516 for 2 but one of the people is 88. I wanted a waiver for pre-existing conditions and high limits on medical and evacuation bc of my father's age. I thought that the rate was fair based on his age. In fact, when I received the policy, the rate for him was 388 and my rate was 128. Obviously age plays a HUGE factor in insurance policy rates.

Best thing about that site is that if you have any questions, you can chat online with them or call them. The people you chat with do NOT make a commission. If you check the prices from that site and then go directly to the carrier, the prices are the same so they also are not making any money when you buy from them.

Hope this helps.

I like that site as well. I just used them last week to book my policy for my cruise this coming Thursday. It was $516 for 2 but one of the people is 88. I wanted a waiver for pre-existing conditions and high limits on medical and evacuation bc of my father's age. I thought that the rate was fair based on his age. In fact, when I received the policy, the rate for him was 388 and my rate was 128. Obviously age plays a HUGE factor in insurance policy rates.

Best thing about that site is that if you have any questions, you can chat online with them or call them. The people you chat with do NOT make a commission. If you check the prices from that site and then go directly to the carrier, the prices are the same so they also are not making any money when you buy from them.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the prices are the same from a broker or direct from the insurer, but I seriously doubt that the broker isn't making a commission. It's just paid by the insurer, not by the traveler.

That's why it makes so much sense to use an insurance broker.

(We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com )

It doesn't cost extra.

They can help one choose between different insurers and policies and also run interference IF it is ever needed for a claim.

We also very much like having the extra assistance in clarifying any potential issues that might affect which policy will work best, etc.

GC

Yes, the prices are the same from a broker or direct from the insurer, but I seriously doubt that the broker isn't making a commission. It's just paid by the insurer, not by the traveler.

That's why it makes so much sense to use an insurance broker.

(We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com )

It doesn't cost extra.

They can help one choose between different insurers and policies and also run interference IF it is ever needed for a claim.

We also very much like having the extra assistance in clarifying any potential issues that might affect which policy will work best, etc.

GC

I disagree.

The reps I spoke with at insuremytrip.com do not individually make a commission on the policy you choose. I worked with one rep and decided not to buy at that time. I asked for his name so I could get back to him when I made a decision so he would get commission. He said he did not make a commission. When I bought the policy finally, the second rep also confirmed that they did not make a commission. The carrier pays (like you said). If I am not dealing with a carrier when I use insuremytrip, then I don't feel pressured to pick a certain carrier. The rep wouldn't care either which carrier I choose.

On the other hand, the one man show aka TIS does have an incentive to sell certain higher priced policies as he owns the company.

You said it makes more sense to use an insurance broker...why? Why would it make a difference if I used a broker like Steve or a licensed insurance agent at insuremytrip? They both provide information about policies. One, the former, just has more incentive to sell certain policies or to make a sale in general. Using the later, I get more policy options.

Also, when I just now checked for a quote on the TIS site, many of the carriers (the big ones and in business for many years) I was quoted on insuremytrip.com were not quoted for me on the TIS site. In fact, of the 6 quotes I received, the lowest priced policy (albeit a different carrier) was 100 more that I paid and did NOT have the same high limits as I already bought.

Also, with insuremytrip, there are many insurance agents you can speak or chat online with about the policies available. Steve seems to be the only one you can speak with at TIS (although one is enough).

I disagree.

The reps I spoke with at insuremytrip.com do not individually make a commission on the policy you choose. I worked with one rep and decided not to buy at that time. I asked for his name so I could get back to him when I made a decision so he would get commission. He said he did not make a commission. When I bought the policy finally, the second rep also confirmed that they did not make a commission. The carrier pays (like you said). If I am not dealing with a carrier when I use insuremytrip, then I don't feel pressured to pick a certain carrier. The rep wouldn't care either which carrier I choose.

On the other hand, the one man show aka TIS does have an incentive to sell certain higher priced policies as he owns the company.

You said it makes more sense to use an insurance broker...why? Why would it make a difference if I used a broker like Steve or a licensed insurance agent at insuremytrip? They both provide information about policies. One, the former, just has more incentive to sell certain policies or to make a sale in general. Using the later, I get more policy options.

Also, when I just now checked for a quote on the TIS site, many of the carriers (the big ones and in business for many years) I was quoted on insuremytrip.com were not quoted for me on the TIS site. In fact, of the 6 quotes I received, the lowest priced policy (albeit a different carrier) was 100 more that I paid and did NOT have the same high limits as I already bought.

Also, with insuremytrip, there are many insurance agents you can speak or chat online with about the policies available. Steve seems to be the only one you can speak with at TIS (although one is enough).

Let's be clear, please.

TripInsuranceStore is not a "one man show".

Steve has others working for him, just as other insurance agencies do.

And as for "commissions", it doesn't matter if the insurer pays the agent directly or pays the brokerage company (IMT or TIS, in these examples).

My point is that the insurer does indeed pay. It's just "invisible" to the traveler, just as it is in many other similar types of transactions with a "middle person/sales rep".

TIS purposefully works with a smaller number of insurers than does IMT. There is no secret there.

And there's no reason why they should end up offering exactly the same insurance products. The variability in coverage "features' could be huge, even within on insurer.

Steve, and his associates, have on occasion pointed out why we did NOT need an additional policy for a specific trip, and thus they did not sell us coverage that we were prepared to purchase.

I can't speak for others, but they've never "pushed" us to "higher cost" policies.

What they've done is answer our questions about "what if, what if... what policy would work for that?" We then compare features and prices, and make our own choice.

Whoever owns IMT would have similar concerns about making sure they get paid enough to pay their staff and cover other expenses. I doubt they are doing this for no pay, as a public service...

My point about using a broker is that they offer policies from a variety of insurers, vs. working for a single insurer. ALL of the people involved at either company (and other similar) had better be licensed, so I'm not sure what that comment is about!?

You seem to have some confusion about what a "broker" is, and how licensed insurance sales reps work, and who pays for what, etc.

If you are happy with the services of IMT, that's what counts.

But kindly don't misrepresent what their competition do or don't do.

[Note: I have zero affiliation with TIS other than as a very satisfied customer. I learned about them here on CruiseCritic.]

GC

No confusion about insurance. I worked for many years as an insurance defense attorney for several large insurance carriers. I also worked many years as a Compliance Director and part of that job involved managing insurance claims in NYC.

I did not misrepresent anything about TIS. I also did not say insuremytrip agents work for no pay. It’s not a volunteer job. It’s salaried.

Of course you need to research this with your insurance company, but this is our personal experience.

We have had to cancel two rather long involved trips, one to China, including a river cruise and a river cruise plus land travel is Europe due to health crisis of our parents. My mother had a severe heart attack the day before we were flying to China; my husband's mother spent 28 days in ICU for intestinal problems including two surgeries. We cancelled that trip a few days before leaving. Neither one died.

In both cases we were reimbursed the entire amount of the trip, which was well over $6000 in each case. Yes, you will have to jump through some hoops, largely getting doctors and/or hospitals to verify that the conditions are legitimate.

It wasn't too bad, just involved a lot of letter writing, especially since one of them lived in a distant state.

Since we also had to cancel another trip for a different reason, plus have had two grandparents die while we were on cruises, we always get insurance! We have also had other health crisis for parents while we were on cruises including hospitalizations (our sons managed to take care of things so we didn't have to leave the cruise) and a broken hip two years ago for a mom.

Literally every single cruise for at least five years someone was hospitalized while we were gone! One to two cruises a year. We escaped the curse last Dec. and Jan.; Whoopee! Of course, only one parent left now.

Of course you need to research this with your insurance company, but this is our personal experience.

We have had to cancel two rather long involved trips, one to China, including a river cruise and a river cruise plus land travel is Europe due to health crisis of our parents. My mother had a severe heart attack the day before we were flying to China; my husband's mother spent 28 days in ICU for intestinal problems including two surgeries. We cancelled that trip a few days before leaving. Neither one died.

In both cases we were reimbursed the entire amount of the trip, which was well over $6000 in each case. Yes, you will have to jump through some hoops, largely getting doctors and/or hospitals to verify that the conditions are legitimate.

It wasn't too bad, just involved a lot of letter writing, especially since one of them lived in a distant state.

Since we also had to cancel another trip for a different reason, plus have had two grandparents die while we were on cruises, we always get insurance! We have also had other health crisis for parents while we were on cruises including hospitalizations (our sons managed to take care of things so we didn't have to leave the cruise) and a broken hip two years ago for a mom.

Literally every single cruise for at least five years someone was hospitalized while we were gone! One to two cruises a year. We escaped the curse last Dec. and Jan.; Whoopee! Of course, only one parent left now.

Wow! What a story! Would you mind sharing what insurance you purchased?

Sounds expensive to me. Never paid more than $200pp, and that was for a 14 day. We always get coverage which includes "cancel for any reason" to cover us no matter what.

Private nsurance increases significantly when you reach a certain age (I think 80 is a big jump). You'd then pay almost double for a 14 day cruise. Ship's insurance is much cheaper but coverage is limited for both hospitalization and evacuation. I would not be comfortable with their limits and will always choose a separate insurance company. I can vouch for Travel Insured. We get a small discount being USAA members, but it's not much. Still worth the peace of mind we're covered from our front door until we get back (not just on the ship). Have had a couple of small claims with them without any problems.

Wow! What a story! Would you mind sharing what insurance you purchased?

We don't always use the same company; the three trips cancelled were all in the 2004-2010 range and I would have to do some research to discover which company(s) were used--not sure if I could find this at this date.

I use Insure My Trip to choose a plan, looking at a waiver for preexisting conditions that includes close relatives, a large medical amount and a large evacuation amount.

This year we may buy a one-year policy that covers all travel instead. Even though we have been well reimbursed for our cancelled trips, we are not so worried about losing the cost of the trip as we are very expensive medical and evacuation costs.

Being in our 70's now, although with no major health problems, makes a difference!