Princess cruse bait and switch

W1000

We booked a curuse because my wife is suffering from lung cancer. I hoped she could go. I called Princess direct and ask what type of insureane I needed to purchase. They told me the standerd would be fine as long as I canceled at least one day before the trip started. I called two weeks before and ask if it was still in effect. They said it was. She became woese and ended up in the pain clinic hospitol. I called as instructed and canceled the day before and got an email of the cancelation. Two weeks later I contacted the aron insurce compnay and filed for the insurance claim. We submitted all required forms even copies of the dotctor report. This was not enough. 4 months later we had to have re subit a hard writen doctor report, then the claim was turned down becasue we told we had the wrong insurance. They offered us a 75 percent credit on a future curse. Never was told there were any more options on insurce even after all the contacts directly with Priness. Funny I also found out Priness owns the insurance company also. So beware if you ever book Priness. Its a full bait and switch operation and you are the bait.

Its a full bait and switch operation and you are the bait.

Too bad you didn't use a Travel Agent who knew what he was doing. DIY bookings carry a lot of pitfalls.

Sorry about your wife.

Sorry about your wife, as the previous poster said, under your circumstances, I would have used a knowledgeable travel agent, gotten the correct insurance. As for the Carrier, I have Princess Platinum insurance and the carrier is Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company out of Garden City NY. I have printed out the policy and it gives me on the first page, the benefits and maximum benefits....in black and white

Oh and it's not bait and switch, each policy is suited for each individual cases. You need to know what you are purchasing and 75% off a future cruise is being VERY generous

Edited by myfuzzy

We booked a curuse because my wife is suffering from lung cancer. I hoped she could go. I called Princess direct and ask what type of insureane I needed to purchase. They told me the standerd would be fine as long as I canceled at least one day before the trip started. I called two weeks before and ask if it was still in effect. They said it was. She became woese and ended up in the pain clinic hospitol. I called as instructed and canceled the day before and got an email of the cancelation. Two weeks later I contacted the aron insurce compnay and filed for the insurance claim. We submitted all required forms even copies of the dotctor report. This was not enough. 4 months later we had to have re subit a hard writen doctor report, then the claim was turned down becasue we told we had the wrong insurance. They offered us a 75 percent credit on a future curse. Never was told there were any more options on insurce even after all the contacts directly with Priness. Funny I also found out Priness owns the insurance company also. So beware if you ever book Priness. Its a full bait and switch operation and you are the bait.

First of all, I hope your wife is feeling better and got help with the pain.

It's an expensive, hard lesson. When they say you have the wrong insurance, do they tell you what that means? For example, are they denying you because your wife's cancer was pre-existing? Or do they give you another reason?

I know from my own experience having had cancer that you have to be clear that the coverage you get will include pre-existing conditions

Too bad you didn't use a Travel Agent who knew what he was doing. DIY bookings carry a lot of pitfalls.

Sorry about your wife.

After 29 cruses over the past 30 years working with 7 differnit lines I understand about bookings. I would have thought after that many phone calls and questions ask that they would have been honest enough with me, but buyer beware.

After 29 cruses over the past 30 years working with 7 differnit lines I understand about bookings. I would have thought after that many phone calls and questions ask that they would have been honest enough with me, but buyer beware.

Sorry and I hope your wife is feeling better. But you did not have a problem understanding bookings, you had a problem understanding Insurance. And the Princess agent you spoke with may not have understood your explanation of your situation when you were told "you have the right insurance".

Lesson learned. Read the Insurance Policy, do not depend on an agent's opinion.

To bad you didn't read the rules. If AON insurance refuses your claim . Princess will give you 75% credit for a future cruise to be used within the next year. Did she have the cancer before you booked and in remission for 2 years ? AON can and did assume the cancer was not in remission at the time of buying the insurance. Most plans would do the same.

I specificly ask about the insurance. Was told there was only one option. I ask this question for several months over and over agian after reading the insurance info. I have added insurnce to every cruse over the past 30 years. After this was over a new option maglicy apeard after the time had passed. Was told by the line that they hd sold off there insurance bussiness and I was caught between companies so that why there was no up grade to the insurance poilicy, but after booking and asking the quesition was this the right insurance 4 differnet times you might have thought they would have informend me of those incovient facts, but I have leaned my lesson. Just don,t use a compay who works both sides of the street at the same time.

The only good thing about buying insurance thru a cruise line is the provision for a percentage toward a future cruise. While the cost of insurance is based on age of the travelers, in my experience the cruise line insurance has always cost more than private insurance. Private insurance purchased within a certain period of booking the cruise can often include pre-existing conditions at no additional charge.

And finally, we've all learned that the Princess reps on the phone do not always give accurate information. In fact, it is almost on the level of "if you don't like it, call back and ask again; you'll get a different answer." You can only believe what you see in writing.

I'm sorry about your wife. But the issue is not "bait and switch." The issue is an ignorant Princess agent and the fact that you didn't understand what you were buying. A good TA or good insurance broker could have helped.

i'm sorry about your wife and hope she's doing okay now.

it can be very frustrating when you ask the questions and don't always get the answers.

in my experience, aon insurance has been great. like moki'smommy said, unfortunately the reps don't always know what they are talking about.

this really isn't bait and switch. this was bad information given to you. you said you read the insurance contract, so you know that is the case. the contract in writing is more accurate than what a rep would tell you. did they know it was pre-existing? that type of insurance is a whole different thing.

i'm sorry you are feeling taken advantage of and that you didn't get to go on your cruise.

I am sorry about your wife - I hope she is doing better now.

Princess's insurance is the worst if you have a health condition. Please, next time use an agent who will look out for your best interest. You got hit with a pre-existing condition clause and probably should not have bought this insurance. Or at least upgraded to get a better future cruise credit.

BTW - Son is a very large company. They are not owned by Princess but if Awn rejects the financial payout, Princess gives future cruise credit.

I am sorry you learned this way. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. I hope you can take a future cruise at some point and that your wife is better than a few months ago.

This topic is often discussed on the cruise insurance board. But suffice it to say that when it comes to insurance, what matters is what is in writing in the policy! Things told to you by cruise line clerks, travel agents, friends, etc. are completely worthless as they are not binding. Since the OP is an experienced cruiser they should have been aware that there are numerous insurance options other then the policies sold directly by cruise lines. Personally we do not like any of the cruise line policies and would only consider them as a last resort. Others will disagree which is why we enjoy reading many of the posts on the Cruise Insurance blog.

Hank

I am sure this person wanted to do the right thing and was given wrong information even though he's an avid cruiser. Who thinks straight in this situation. HOWEVER, IF during her medical care, it was discussed that she would be cruising, too bad her doctor couldn't give advise as well as for the insurance, because of her medical condition, she must be covered with something, somewhere that could have been called and asked what kind of "upgrades" could be bought for the cruise. Everone, has homeowners, renters, car, boat, and what ever body part can be insured. Agencies, I am sure would be happy to answer questions about additional insurance.

Like others, I'm not sure what you mean by "the wrong insurance." Either level of Princess Vacation Protection should cover your wife's situation and pay out 100% in cash, unless the insurance company is just being difficult. Had you bought Platinum Protection, you would have gotten 100% credit toward a future cruise rather than 75% under "cancel for any reason," though realistically neither might be of use in the future. And - no offense - the Princess insurance brochure clearly states on the very first page of text that there are two levels of protection. In extra-large bold blue type.

And Princess (or CCL) doesn't, AFAIK, own the insurance company. They simply are responsible for paying out credits under "cancel for any reason."

The only joker I can see in the pack is the "pre-existing condition" clause, below. Could it be that her meds were changed or she was hospitalized in the two months before you paid for the policy?

A condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or

has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is purchased.

Edited by shepp

Did she have the cancer before you booked and in remission for 2 years ? AON can and did assume the cancer was not in remission at the time of buying the insurance. Most plans would do the same.

From what I can see, there's no two-year-remission requirement, only that someone's medical condition has been stable over a two month look-back period. Any reason you cited a 2-year period? That's sure not what the brochure says.

It sounds as though you purchased the less expensive insurance that Princess offers, in which case, it also sounds like the insurance company that Princess uses denied this claim under the medical reasons that are covered. It is very specific and actually, not owned by Princess. I believe Princess takes over with the cruise credit if the insurance company denies the claim.

I know you don't really want to hear this now, but you should have read the policies and their differences in coverage. At least if you purchased the more expensive product, you'd have gotten 100% credit to use on another sailing even if the insurance denied your claim for full reimbursement in cash.

There may be one other avenue to explore. Check with the credit card used to pay for your cruise. I believe the full must all be made on the same credit card but they may check into your claim and maybe at least get some reimbursement in cash. No promises, but I've read on these boards that it has been successful with some of the posters.

Best of luck to you and hope your wife is doing better.

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is feeling better. I never buy insurance through the cruise line but use our regular insurance company (USAA). I have never filed a claim but do know they will only cover pre-existing medical conditions if you buy their cancel for any reason policy which is more expensive and you must purchase it when you pay your deposit (and who insures a $200 deposit). I buy insurance mainly because my dad is 92 and I never know if I have to cancel at the last minute. You might check to see if you can buy vacation insurance through your regular insurance carrier for auto and homeowner ... and life ... and boat. Can you tell we buy a lot of insurance through USAA! It's way cheaper!

I’m sorry you had an awful experience and so sorry about your wife! Princess switched insurance carriers late 2017 to AON. I noticed that when we bought our policy, and there was one way to click for the old company and one way to click for the new company. We had to file a medical claim with them and did receive timely payment without hassle. I’m wondering if maybe it was because it was a pre-existing condition. Mine wasn’t. You do have to meet their criteria in order for it to be covered; buy insurance at time of deposit if pre-existing or not have been treated for the condition within a certain timeframe preceding the purchase of the insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do have to meet their criteria in order for it to be covered; buy insurance at time of deposit if pre-existing or not have been treated for the condition within a certain timeframe preceding the purchase of the insurance.

Sorry, but that's not accurate. You can in fact be undergoing treatment during the 60-day lookback period. From the current Princess website:

Q: If I have a heart condition and am on continuing medication, am I protected if my heart condition flares up during my vacation?

A: Yes! Princess Vacation Protection provides reimbursement for conditions that are stable during the 60-days prior to purchase, so if you have had no changes in your health (even if you are on continuous unchanged medication), you would be protected.

Check with your credit card. It may offer additional insurance on travel. When I had to cancel a cruise on Holland America, I received 80 percent back under the insurance purchased through HAL. I filed a claim with my credit card company for the remaining 20 percent. It also paid back my nonrefundable Hotwire hotel bookings.

I had always bought cruise insurance through a non-cruise line insurance company. A few years ago I considered Princess insurance and talked to a Princess Representative. I asked about the coverage for a pre-existing condition and was told that it would be determined at the time a claim would be made. Are they kidding? You don’t make up rules as you go along. Needless to say I stayed with a non-cruise line insurance company.

I had always bought cruise insurance through a non-cruise line insurance company. A few years ago I considered Princess insurance and talked to a Princess Representative. I asked about the coverage for a pre-existing condition and was told that it would be determined at the time a claim would be made. Are they kidding? You don’t make up rules as you go along. Needless to say I stayed with a non-cruise line insurance company.

The rules for determining a pre-existing condition are in the fine print of the policy. The determination is made at the time of the claim, but must follow those written standards.

Please check the terms of your credit card insurance coverage ASAP. I was surprised to find that the terms on my card were that a claim must be initiated within 7 days of the incident (in contrast to 90 days with the purchased coverage).