Port Everglades Parking

payitforward

Hi All,

In reading the disabled parking section of the Port Everglades parking, it looks like you have to have a Florida toll exemption, an equipment modified vehicle or disabled veterans plates in order to get parking fees waived. Does anyone know if they honor out-of-state handicapped tags? My elderly parents - and mom has Parkinson's - will be driving down. They will also have me, and I travel with a scooter.

I am not sure if I am going to be able to give you a definitive answer for your situation but can share what has happened with us in 8+ times parking at Port Everglades:

My friends have a child who is a quad in a powerchair so they have a lift van with a GA handicapped tag. They have never been denied the free parking but it frequently takes them more than 15 minutes when they are leaving. The people at the exit have always looked to ensure it is a lift van and even looked in to make sure that she is physically sitting in chair (and pretty sure at least one time they were trying to prove that she didn't need the chair!)

Given that level of scrutiny, I am not sure what they would have done were they to have looked in and not found her in the chair. However, the out of state handicapped tag has never been one of the issues.

Hopefully, someone else will have some information. Good luck and happy cruising!

Hi All,

In reading the disabled parking section of the Port Everglades parking, it looks like you have to have a Florida toll exemption, an equipment modified vehicle or disabled veterans plates in order to get parking fees waived. Does anyone know if they honor out-of-state handicapped tags? My elderly parents - and mom has Parkinson's - will be driving down. They will also have me, and I travel with a scooter.

Any HC Placard or HC License plate issued from a USA State is honored in all 50 states and USA Territories including some cities in Canada. Most DMV websites lists everywhere that State's placard is honored.

For Free Parking your placard will be honored as long as the vehicle has disabled veteran license plates, an accessible ramp, an automatic scooter trunk lift or an exterior scooter carrier. Just having a scooter in the vehicle does not gaurantee free parking.

Just curious, so please no flamers. Why free parking with a handicap plate or placard?

That question needs to be asked directly to State of Florida Legislature that approved the bill that provides free HC parking based on special conditions. IMPO it's not a question for this forum or should be debated on this forum.

That question needs to be asked directly to State of Florida Legislature that approved the bill that provides free HC parking based on special conditions. IMPO it's not a question for this forum or should be debated on this forum.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were the forum moderator.

The question was about free handicap parking and I asked a simple question related to the topic.

I have some mobility issues, but not such that I need a handicap permit yet, so I am unfamiliar with them.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were the forum moderator.

The question was about free handicap parking and I asked a simple question related to the topic.

I have some mobility issues, but not such that I need a handicap permit yet, so I am unfamiliar with them.

Definitely not the moderator. Sorry you took offense to my statement. Just stating my opinion. Funny you stated in your post "Please no flammers" but yet you had no problem flaming me ....Hmmm ?

What's the point of debating the topic on this forum if it's something that can only be changed by the Florida Legislature and their constituents? The qualifications to have a placard as well as the laws that apply to usage varies greatly between all 50 states.HC Placards & HC License Plates do not fall under ADA or for that matter any Federal guidlines and standards. Each state defines the guidelines and qualifications .

Illinois has 3 placards.

Red - Temporary disability

Blue - Permanent disability

Yellow- Permant disabiltiy , fully wheelchair bound and unable to reach a parking meter.

All 3 are subject to all state and local laws. The only exception is Yellow is exempt from feeding the parking meter if unable to reach it but does have to pay if there's a parking attendent

Doctor's approval has to be obtained for all 3 types and the Doctor can be fine $5,000 and potentially loose their license if they're found to have fraudulently signed the state placard/license application

Edited by xxoocruiser

Sargasso Pirate - fair question. They do pay to park in most places (concerts, sporting events) and have even once or twice been charged more since their accessible van is larger than many cars.

They were pleasantly surprised that they were not charged the first time they parked at PEV. As it was explained to them, they (FL gvmt) know that there are still very few accessible options for someone in a power chair to get to the port (many of the off-airport shuttles do not have ramps or tie downs and the accessible taxis are not always readily available) so people are essentially forced to drive to the port while others make a conscious decision to do so. Not saying they are right or wrong, but that is how it was explained to them.

Any HC Placard or HC License plate issued from a USA State is honored in all 50 states and USA Territories including some cities in Canada. Most DMV websites lists everywhere that State's placard is honored.

Interestingly, the City of New York DOES NOT honor any placard issued outside of the city for the purposes of using the designated spaces. I know this because my car was towed there and I went before a judge to argue against it. He told me that my plate wasn’t valid in the city. Me being a smart ass, I then asked him if that meant that I could throw away my crutches and walk. I had to pay my fine.

Interestingly, the City of New York DOES NOT honor any placard issued outside of the city for the purposes of using the designated spaces. I know this because my car was towed there and I went before a judge to argue against it. He told me that my plate wasn’t valid in the city. Me being a smart ass, I then asked him if that meant that I could throw away my crutches and walk. I had to pay my fine

Hard to beleive you got a ticket for using an out of state HC Placard in NYC. Unfortunately the Judge was wrong. To the best of my knowledge No such law exists in NYC . The violation had to be for something else. Perhaps parking in an HC space assigned to a specific Placard number. Such a thing does exist in most cities. On my parents block there is a house that doesn't have a driveway and the car must park on the street, Though it took a lot of time to get approved there is space infront of that persons house marked as a HC spot but the signs clearly state only permit #,,,,. If I parked there with my placard the car would be ticketed and towed.

As perviously stated any HC Placard or HC license plate issued in the USA is honored in all 50 states. Add to that no USA city even NYC can prohibit someone from using their out of state HC placard or HC license plate,

Provided that the violation wasn't for something else if it were me I would have filed a complaint with the NY State Attorney Office,

Here's the link to NY DMV https://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/disabled-drivers.php

Edited by xxoocruiser

Sargasso Pirate - fair question. They do pay to park in most places (concerts, sporting events) and have even once or twice been charged more since their accessible van is larger than many cars.

They were pleasantly surprised that they were not charged the first time they parked at PEV. As it was explained to them, they (FL gvmt) know that there are still very few accessible options for someone in a power chair to get to the port (many of the off-airport shuttles do not have ramps or tie downs and the accessible taxis are not always readily available) so people are essentially forced to drive to the port while others make a conscious decision to do so. Not saying they are right or wrong, but that is how it was explained to them.

Thanks, Micmac, that 's a reasonable explanation and probably a good decision on the part of the officials.

Definitely not the moderator. Sorry you took offense to my statement. Just stating my opinion

My apologies as well, xxoocruiser. I got rankled at what I took as an attempt to silence a question that I saw as related to the OP.

I requested no flamers because of my pre-conceived notion that people would take offense that I would be seen as insensitive by questioning why someone should be getting free parking just because of a handicap placard.

Let me buy you a virtual drink at my pirate bar and discuss our next cruise.:cool:

My apologies as well, xxoocruiser. I got rankled at what I took as an attempt to silence a question that I saw as related to the OP.

I requested no flamers because of my pre-conceived notion that people would take offense that I would be seen as insensitive by questioning why someone should be getting free parking just because of a handicap placard.

Let me buy you a virtual drink at my pirate bar and discuss our next cruise.:cool:

Apology excepted. I'm enjoying my virtual Bloody Mary ! Thank You. had to cancel my upcoming cruise . It's been a very rough past 12 months for me and my MS.

Just curious, so please no flamers. Why free parking with a handicap plate or placard?

I'm not 100% sure but I think in Florida it also includes all airports with the same stipulations. I think I read that when I was a first time scooter user.

Actually, at Port Everglades, you ONLY get free parking for the following three reasons:

1. Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in Florida Statute 316.1964
  2. Vehicle is modified with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot and hand controls for use by a disabled person
  3. Display the "DV" license plate from any state - Disabled Veteran - issued under Florida Statute 320.084

A handicap plate or placard will get you access to the lot, but you still have to pay.