Just off the Dawn, 2/18-2/25.

Alan C

What a great ship and staff. Seven day Western Caribbean out of Tampa, and had an awesome cruise. Ship is in good refurbished condition, crew staff was so accommodating and friendly, and iternary was pleasurable. Captain was on time or early when he could be, outside of last minute passengers who got back to the ship late (very rude on their part) in two ports. Restaurants were clean and food was more than acceptable, even portions were a bit more than other lines. Specialty restaurants fill up fast, so make reservations as soon as you can. Forward outside decks were the easiest to get deck chairs, and the forward hot tub on 13 is the least crowded. Entertainment is very good, and only bad thing from my end were the hours of the library, like two hours per day. However, Tampa is not the best port to sail from. Embarkation was acceptable and easy for tiered passengers, however disembarkation was a night mare. Cruise staff was held up due to non-American passengers who could not be found to clear customs on the morning we returned to port. This held up everyone for over an hour while Immigration officers were searching for them, unfortunatelyI would have thought NCL would have a better plan for this. Plus the escalators being out of service in the Tampa port was not helping. Sorry, I am rattling on, but overall had a very outstanding Cruise on the Dawn. We stayed in a mini suite on deck 11, and stateroom was more than accommodating for two:cool::cool: people.

What a great ship and staff. Seven day Western Caribbean out of Tampa, and had an awesome cruise. Ship is in good refurbished condition, crew staff was so accommodating and friendly, and iternary was pleasurable. Captain was on time or early when he could be, outside of last minute passengers who got back to the ship late (very rude on their part) in two ports. Restaurants were clean and food was more than acceptable, even portions were a bit more than other lines. Specialty restaurants fill up fast, so make reservations as soon as you can. Forward outside decks were the easiest to get deck chairs, and the forward hot tub on 13 is the least crowded. Entertainment is very good, and only bad thing from my end were the hours of the library, like two hours per day. However, Tampa is not the best port to sail from. Embarkation was acceptable and easy for tiered passengers, however disembarkation was a night mare. Cruise staff was held up due to non-American passengers who could not be found to clear customs on the morning we returned to port. This held up everyone for over an hour while Immigration officers were searching for them, unfortunatelyI would have thought NCL would have a better plan for this. Plus the escalators being out of service in the Tampa port was not helping. Sorry, I am rattling on, but overall had a very outstanding Cruise on the Dawn. We stayed in a mini suite on deck 11, and stateroom was more than accommodating for two:cool::cool: people.

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on Dawn in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks for your mini review and comments. We will be sailing on her in just about 2 months and are exceited. We have cruised the Dawn one other time. I am so happy to hear she is looking good and the crew is friendly. We know our days of cruising will come to an end before long, so want a possitve experience. Thanks again.

Hubby and I were with you on this cruise, and we agree with your review overall. Especially agree with your comment about disembarkation. It was ridiculous. We weren't exactly sure what was causing the delay, so thank you for the info. What should have been easy, stress-free disembarkation for carry -off luggage passengers beginning at 8 am....added another 3+ hours before finally getting off the ship to head home. Luckily we didn't have a flight to catch, or it could've been missed! NCL really dropped the ball on how things were handled.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Hubby and I were with you on this cruise' date=' and we agree with your review overall. Especially agree with your comment about disembarkation. It was ridiculous. We weren't exactly sure what was causing the delay, so thank you for the info. What should have been easy, stress-free disembarkation for carry -off luggage passengers beginning at 8 am....added another 3+ hours before finally getting off the ship to head home. Luckily we didn't have a flight to catch, or it could've been missed! NCL really dropped the ball on how things were handled.

Did y'all happen to keep your dailies?

Hubby and I were with you on this cruise' date=' and we agree with your review overall. Especially agree with your comment about disembarkation. It was ridiculous. We weren't exactly sure what was causing the delay, so thank you for the info. What should have been easy, stress-free disembarkation for carry -off luggage passengers mbeginning at 8 am....added another 3+ hours before finally getting off the ship to head home. Luckily we didn't have a flight to catch, or it could've been missed! NCL really dropped the ball on how things were handled.

Were you doing the walk off program and delayed 3 hours?

I had a great time on the cruise but disembarkation was horrendous. NCL screwed up big time. Yes, walk off passengers that were supposed to walk off around 8am were still on the ship at 10:30. There wasn't any crew in sight keeping order to the lines nor updating passengers as to what the situation was. The hold up was because of immigration which happens, but how they handled the delay was disgusting! How do you create another exit and let passengers off the ship bypassing those walk off passengers and their luggage who have been standing in line for hours?? It was totally unacceptable.

I had a great time on the cruise but disembarkation was horrendous. NCL screwed up big time. Yes, walk off passengers that were supposed to walk off around 8am were still on the ship at 10:30. There wasn't any crew in sight keeping order to the lines nor updating passengers as to what the situation was. The hold up was because of immigration which happens, but how they handled the delay was disgusting! How do you create another exit and let passengers off the ship bypassing those walk off passengers and their luggage who have been standing in line for hours?? It was totally unacceptable.

We haven't had a 3 hour delay but our last few cruises the debarkation has been darn long, and usually caused by a combination of walk offs and immigration. The worse was last spring on the Breakaway. Along with about a 2 hour delay the people were just down right rude. I was so glad when we were finally off and on our way to Le Guardia. (spelling)

I am sorry, I did not keep the dailies, but it is traditional cruise information, ship sales, photo and spa sales, port excursion sales, etc. Disembarkation was truly mishandled by NCL, and the staff and crew were not to be found. While they might have not known what was happening with IMMIGRATION, they were of no help and seemed just as confused as how to get off the ship. It was a nightmare and something they should have thought of before the morning of and make sure all non Americans are registered by the night before. Outside of that incident, the cruise and staff was outstanding.

Thanks for the info on the Dawn. We sail on her in May. Out of Boston, so fingers crossed that we don't have issues like you encountered! I'm sorry part of your experience was marred; but think of the good times and have a laugh at how ridiculous disembarkation was (always easier to laugh than cry after the fact!)

Thanks for the update! We just got off the Dawn in December but out of San Juan, so I appreciate your feedback on Tampa where we will be sailing out of in about a week. I agree with you that the Dawn is a great ship (of course, or we wouldn't be sailing on it again!)

Out of interest why did the non americans cause immigration issues.

I go on this cruise on 1st April and I am from the UK

I have sailed from Tampa in the past - a few years ago on a carnival cruise and i didnt recall any ussues on return to Tampa - it was very straightforward.

It was just a case of having a valid Esta and oassport .

If you boarded at Tampa then iI dont understand why on return there would be an issue for non americans - unless i have missed something

The issue was the Canadians (French Citizens ??) did not register with Immigration, and they were paging them the morning of disembarkation, all the way up to 9 am, and no one was allowed off ship, even those with walk off status.

Ok - its the registration aspect - still really dont understand why you have to register - as when you board all passport details and esta info is taken at that point.

anyhow I will keep this in mind on our last night

Thanks for the info on the Dawn. We sail on her in May. Out of Boston, so fingers crossed that we don't have issues like you encountered! I'm sorry part of your experience was marred; but think of the good times and have a laugh at how ridiculous disembarkation was (always easier to laugh than cry after the fact!)

You won't.

It is Tampa immigration that requires a face to face with every non US pax

No one can leave the boat until that happens. Today they called for the same 10 people for probably half an hour. How RUDE of those people to hold up 2000 people. It was very smooth and fast to get off and through customs and catch an Uber