Considering cruise in China, Japan and/or Vietnam

jkgourmet

We're looking at several of Asian cruises offered by Celebrity in Fall, 2018.

We did a European cruise several years ago and disliked that many of the ports were so far away from the important tourist sites, particularly since the area where they docked was industrial and unpleasant. However, we were very pleased when the ship stopped somewhere where we could just walk into town and look around, have a meal, stop for a drink, etc. In fact, in 19 days there, we didn't take one excursion, preferring to go independently by public transport or taxi.

The Asian ports seem to be rather far away from the tourist sites. Is an excursion REALLY necessary at all/most ports to enjoy this trip? We have visited Thailand, Malaysia, Borneo and Singapore on our own. I visited China 30+ years ago on a tour.

We will be on the Millennium for the December 22 Southeast Asia cruise...Hong Kong (overnight) --Hanoi (day and a half)--Da Nang/Hue--Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)--Bangkok (2 days)--Singapore...

We haven't done this one yet...but, my understanding is that Hanoi is 3-4 hours from the port, Hue OR Da Nang both at least 60-90 minutes from the port and Bangkok 90 minutes to two hours...

Many people might do overnights off the ship in Hanoi and Bangkok...

Our plan, as of now, is to visit Hanoi the first day there and just put up with the long bus ride...same with first day in Bangkok...

Second day in Hanoi--which is really just the morning since the ship sets sail at 1:00 pm, we will just take a boat tour in Ha Long Bay and Second day in Bangkok, we'll stick close to the ship at Pataya...For Dan Nang, we'll do a trip to Hue...

IF we can get any traction on our roll call, we'll look into organizing or joining private tours in the ports...if not, we're resigned to doing the ship's excursions...which, surprisingly, are not all that expensive. We will put up with a couple of long bus rides because, well, you can't always insure that the places you want to go are anywhere near a cruise pier. Our attitude is that we will "see enough" in whatever we have the time to spend--happy with a glass half full.

Also, when we cruise Europe, there are a lot of places where we feel comfortable...where we've visited before, where we speak or understand the local language...even if far from, port, we can probably make our way around the local logistics...and, if we want, we're completely okay with wandering off on our own. Even there, we often like the convenience and organization of being on a tour0--but, yes, of course, we prefer private, small group tours...

But I look at this one as sort of a different animal...I've done China once before--and did it on a Viking cruise-tour...and I am glad that everything was organized and arranged for me...So, on this one, my intent, again, is to keep it all fairly simple...I've been to Hong Kong before, even had a bit of time on my own there...and have no trouble there--in fact, we're arriving ahead of the cruise and staying in a hotel and on our own there...But, for places like Vietnam, I'll be fine casting my lot with a tour guide or even with the ship's excursions...

We love cruising.

We have spent the last four out of five winters in SE Asia. Mostly Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and some Malaysia. Typically two- three months of independent travel each year.

We would not recommend visiting Thailand or Vietnam on a cruise. Take a long hard look at the amount of sea time, where you will be docking, the places you want to see, and the time and complications in getting to them and back. Then calculate how much time you will effectively have net of travel, disembarking,embarking, etc. Even in Thailand the stops at Phuket or Samui are way down on our places to visit in Thailand.

Just our opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Whether you use a ship excursion or do one privately organise before you go. Most of these ports are commercial. There is absolutely nothing near there. There will be markets set up on the pier but you need to get out and see this beautiful country. It is an experience sitting in a tour bus and seeing water buffalo pulling a wagon, watching farmers in the rice paddies etc.

Nha Trang is one port that is about a 10 minute ride from ship, either taxi or trishaw. Last October we hired a golf cart and driver for a tour around the town. Hired it at port gates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you consider having ports that are easy to get around, maybe a cruise around Japan will fit your bill. Many ports in Japan provide complimentary shuttles to town or at least close enough to easily get around. Their volunteers are very helpful providing maps and information when you arrive at each port. As for other ports in Asia that can be easily done DIY include Hong Kong, Singapore, Penang, Malacca, and Busan. A land tour is more ideal for China since most of the ports are far away from major cities or attractions.