Princess Vacation Protection Payment

WVBill

I've booked a cruise departing Sept 22 this year. (Booked directly on Princess web site, no TA).

Included Princess Vacation Protection (PVP Platinum included free because we're platinum).

Paid deposit with FCD.

Final payment date July 9

Because we are seniors but have been healthy for the last 60 days, I wanted to eliminate the "preexisting condition clause" now. And heeding the advice of others on CC, I called Princess and told them I wanted to pay for my Princess Vacation Protection now.

He took a payment of $294.44 and acknowledged it was for Princess Vacation Protection.

The payment of $294.44 is reflected in the e-mail they sent me and on my Travel Summary, but I can find nowhere that documents the date I paid for Princess Vacation Protection.

For any of you who have paid for PVP early, did you get any written confirmation?

A friend of mine did it exactly as you did and received the same type documentation. Unfortunately they had to use the insurance and it was for a pre-existing condition. When they tried to file a claim they were told that although they made a payment it was listed as just a payment on the entire cruise and not specifically for the PVP. They were not able to get reimbursed for their many medical expenses.

Do not stop until you get documentation that your Insurance was paid for on such and such a date directly from Princess. Do not accept anything verbal over the phone. It means diddly squat if you do not have it in writing. Good luck and keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How does paying early eliminate a pre-existing condition?

It has a 60 day look back period. If your condition has been stable for the past 60 days, technically it should be covered.

If you wait until final payment, something may come up and you may not be able to have pre-existing conditions covered.

A friend of mine did it exactly as you did and received the same type documentation. Unfortunately they had to use the insurance and it was for a pre-existing condition. When they tried to file a claim they were told that although they made a payment it was listed as just a payment on the entire cruise and not specifically for the PVP. They were not able to get reimbursed for their many medical expenses.

Do not stop until you get documentation that your Insurance was paid for on such and such a date directly from Princess. Do not accept anything verbal over the phone. It means diddly squat if you do not have it in writing. Good luck and keep us updated

Thanks, That's my concern - I have nothing written that says anything other than I made a payment that just happens to be the amount of the insurance. I'll call them back when they open today and see what I can get in writing.

This was on Princess website. Hope this helps

please note that payment of the required cruise deposit does not automatically activate enrollment in Princess Vacation Protection. To activate enrollment, the appropriate program costs must be paid in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. Please refer to the plan description for details regarding the terms, conditions and exclusions or call Aon Affinity at 1-877-846-8833 with any questions.

Several years ago I was considering taking out the Princess insurance so I called and talked to a Princess Representative. When I asked about the insurance covering pre-existing conditions I was told that it would be determined when a claim is filed. Needless to say, I did not take the Princess Insurance. I went with a nationally known insurance company with an excellent track record.

Reporting back -

I called Princess, gave them my booking number and said: "Can you tell me if my Princess Vacation Protection Plan cost has been paid?" He said: "Yes sir, your booking record shows that your payment on January 29 was applied to your Princess Vacation Protection and your plan is paid."

I asked if he could send me some documentation saying that and he said there was no way he could.

I'm a bit more satisfied that it's all good but I may heed the standard advice we see here on CC to call again.

• 3 weeks later...
I would like the answer to this as well. Thanks.
no, once insurance is paid you have an insurance policy for that cruise

on those dates. I wait until final payment is made before buying insurance. Of course if you have preexisting medical issues you need to get insurance right away in case you need to cancel cruise

Of course if you have preexisting medical issues you need to get insurance right away in case you need to cancel cruise

If you currently have a preexisting condition diagnosed or treated in the last 60 days you DO NOT want to get insurance right away because the date you pay for the insurance is the date the 60 day lookback starts. Thus you would NOT be covered for anything associated with that condition.

If you have had NO medical issues diagnosed or treatment changes for the last 60 days, now is the time to pay for the insurance, because anything that happens going forward will be covered.

Just read through the Princess insurance brochure and it says that the upgraded Platinum insurance would provide a credit for the full amount towards a future cruise if you 'cancel for any reason'. That section does not mention pre-existing conditions. Does anyone know - If I have a pre-existing condition when I buy my Platinum insurance and do have to cancel, will Princess give me the cruise cost as a credit towards a future cruise?

Reporting back -

I called Princess, gave them my booking number and said: "Can you tell me if my Princess Vacation Protection Plan cost has been paid?" He said: "Yes sir, your booking record shows that your payment on January 29 was applied to your Princess Vacation Protection and your plan is paid."

I asked if he could send me some documentation saying that and he said there was no way he could.

I'm a bit more satisfied that it's all good but I may heed the standard advice we see here on CC to call again.

Every time I have bought PVP I have received an email with the insurance information right after the purchase. I usually get this at final payment but next cruise was booked after final payment date and I got the email at the same time I got the email showing the cruise was booked. Email was from Princess reservations, not ION.

I recently booked a couple of cruises B2B and as part of the booking, it asked if I wanted Princess insurance and showed me the cost of adding it. Princess would have had me cover each leg separately at a cost of $147 pp for each leg--total cost of the insurance would have been almost $600. A better policy with a well known national company that I've used before (and over the years made 2 small claims thru) was $234 for both of us. Total, not "each." And because I purchased within 21 days of initial payment, it includes pre-existing conditions. I know that the private coverage is based on age as well as amount being insured, etc; I'm in my 60s, my daughter is in her 20s....just to give readers an idea of what we were booking. This is not a low end, bare bones policy; I'd categorize it as a "mid range."

True, if I cancel my cruise, I'm out $234. That's a risk I was willing to take.