LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

Sacramento – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will begin offering the option to apply for a federal compliant REAL ID driver license or identification (ID) card beginning January 22, 2018 at DMV offices statewide. Californians may choose either a REAL ID or a federal non-compliant card.

And look how outdated CA is.....I just had mine renewed in November..no enhancement......so will I have to lug around my passport....who knows...?

The federal REAL ID Act of 2005 was passed by Congress in response to the events of 9/11. Under the REAL ID Act, all states must meet requirements set by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for its driver licenses and identification cards to be accepted for federal purposes, such as boarding a domestic flight or visiting a military base or certain federal facilities, by October 1, 2020.

Yes, but....my state does not do the enhanced license. The state has received a waiver several times as each "must have by" date approaches. The local news media starts making a big deal about it a few months before the deadline, then a few weeks before the feds grant the waiver and it all goes away till the next time. Bottom line is that each member of my family has a passport, but one would thing that the feds would enforce their rules, not keep changing the date and issuing waivers to keep states in compliance.

No, you don't have to lug around your passport. Hypothetically you will need it to fly, enter a federal building, a military base, and a few other specified locations.

OP—

Get to the DMV Monday. It has to be done in person. He’ll be issued a paper DL. Though, IIRC the the fine print says it’s not valid as an ID.

Check pockets, check the car. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes' date=' but....my state does not do the enhanced license. The state has received a waiver several times as each "must have by" date approaches. The local news media starts making a big deal about it a few months before the deadline, then a few weeks before the feds grant the waiver and it all goes away till the next time. Bottom line is that each member of my family has a passport, but one would thing that the feds would enforce their rules, not keep changing the date and issuing waivers to keep states in compliance.

No, you don't have to lug around your passport. Hypothetically you will need it to fly, enter a federal building, a military base, and a few other specified locations.[/quote']

The date I see is 2020......why would your state be getting waivers......?

Because this is not the first date that was specified.

Each time the date nears, they issue a waiver to states that have not complied and then extend the date. I've seen this at least twice already.

I know it sounds weird but it does work.... this prayer works... no matter your thoughts or beliefs...

Tony, Tony,

look around.

Something's lost

and must be found!

That prayer and the more "polite" version (Dear St. Anthony please come around something is lost and it cannot be found.)

I know it sounds weird but it does work.... this prayer works... no matter your thoughts or beliefs...

Tony, Tony,

look around.

Something's lost

and must be found!

That prayer and the more "polite" version (Dear St. Anthony please come around something is lost and it cannot be found.)

I used it for my passport and I did find it......ref. post above......

In fact not that anyone really cares........but it might help the OP.

I returned a clothing item, to a store no receipt....so they wanted my ID...to input my number.

A few days later, i noticed the ID missing...thought back and zoomed to the store...so they go back to the safe...the MGR brings out a 4 inch stack of ID's and credit cards and mind was there......but thinking all those other ones......it happens.

Because this is not the first date that was specified.

Each time the date nears' date=' they issue a waiver to states that have not complied and then extend the date. I've seen this at least twice already.[/quote']

Interesting did not know that...so hopefully CA will be extended too.....again and again......however when I renew my passport in 2020 I will be getting the passport card...should have gotten it before.....but just did not bother....

and yes. if it is enforced I will have to lug my passport..because I do a lot of domestic flying.....

To all posters who do not live in CA why bother to post.....for us that do, we understand the concern of the OP...but a simple call to the DMV...gives the OP her options....and by the way who mentioned making an appt...get real..appt. for Drivers license..usually are scheduled out 3 weeks at least in Orange County...as another poster mentioned we are one big state, and have with lots and lots of fraud.......

I recently lucked out with an online appointment. I had to go license a teardrop trailer we purchased - and pay the hideous California "use tax" on it - and I made an appointment online. I made the appointment in the morning and was in the office (and, of course, in a line) early that same afternoon. I was totally amazed but pleased.

If California is the same as here in Florida the only way to get a replacement for a lost DL is to order and pay the fee online and wait for it to be mailed. You can show the payment receipt to the police as proof you are a licensed driver should you get pulled over, but you are without proof of identity/residency/age until you get the copy in the mail. No way to expedite the replacement.

It took me two weeks to get a new passport via mail. No expedition and there was a federal holiday - Presidents Day - in there as well.

Interesting did not know that...so hopefully CA will be extended too.....again and again......however when I renew my passport in 2020 I will be getting the passport card...should have gotten it before.....but just did not bother....

Pretty soon CA will be issuing their own passports.

If it's Washington State, it's because the state government has basically declared us a "Sanctuary State" and will not require proof of citizenship for anything. Thus they will not be compliant with Federal Rules and thus the Feds keep pushing the compliance date out.... etc. etc....etc...

You CAN get an "enhanced" Washington Driver's license (with proper proof of citizenship) but it costs $178... Like I said, they discourage needing proof of citizenship for anything.....

I feel so bad for you ... very stressful to say the least.

He wouldn't happen to have been in the military, would he?? His active or retired military card with a picture would also suffice for a government issued ID.

And, I had a boss at work that needed an expedited passport and she was actually able to go to San Francisco and received it within a week. That was a few years back.

In California, they are now just rolling out their Real ID so the DMV offices are crazy. There were no appointments for a month out. I do live in a more heavily populated area, though. But, you are going to need either a Real ID or a passport even for domestic flights in the near future....I think it is 2020. They keep extending that deadline but now since they've got the ball rolling on issuance, I don't believe they will extend it again. So, best to apply for one of those since you may have to go down to the DMV anyway.

Best of luck and hope he is able to find his DL before the trip.

In California, they are now just rolling out their Real ID so the DMV offices are crazy. There were no appointments for a month out. I do live in a more heavily populated area, though. But, you are going to need either a Real ID or a passport even for domestic flights in the near future....

In Maryland we have been compliant for years but they just started issuing the actual Real ID licenses that will be needed at the final deadline. Everyone can get the ones with the star if they go to an office instead of online renewal. But if you do onlline renewal which you can do until a certain age alternate renewals you won't get it until the next renewal. Also they won't issue a license at the DMV now like before, only take your picture. They give you a paper temporary copy and mail the license. I expect all you gloating about California may have the same situation eventually. The DL will have to be mailed. Probably has something to do with Real ID.

If the OP is near a big city they can get a passport at a passport office. A family member in Texas was able to get one the same day in Dallas.

How do you get a passport without a picture ID?

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

You can submit one primary ID or at least TWO secondary IDs. Ultimately, if you have nothing, you can have someone else who has appropriate ID attest that you are the person you claim to be. As you can see, things like a social security card, health insurance/medicare card, voter registration card, etc. do not have photos on them.

Primary IDs (submit one)

• In-state, fully valid driver's license (not temporary or learner’s permit)
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card (with recognizable photo, can be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Permanent resident card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

Secondary IDs (submit a combination)

• In-state, fully valid non-driver ID
  • Out-of-state driver's license
  • Out-of-state non-driver ID
  • Social Security card
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license

He should try and remember if he had to show it somewhere. My brother in law could not find his license. Turned out his daughter had it. They went to the DMV to transfer title to a car. He got a replacement. A few weeks later my niece says why she has his license in her purse. The DMV had handed it to her with her license......she hadn’t noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in FL , last year I lost my license, I brought my documentation in and go my replacement the same day.

If California is the same as here in Florida the only way to get a replacement for a lost DL is to order and pay the fee online and wait for it to be mailed. You can show the payment receipt to the police as proof you are a licensed driver should you get pulled over, but you are without proof of identity/residency/age until you get the copy in the mail. No way to expedite the replacement.

Only alternative is to get an appointment at one of the emergency passport centers. Which for the OP would likely involve two six hour round trip drives to Los Angeles (one to order, the other to pick up passport a couple days later).

Yes, California is same as Florida...gotta wait for it to be mailed. Looking into emergency passport system here in CA..thank you!
I live in Florida lost my license downtown Orlando the very same day I went into the DMV I'm Brevard county where I live and got a replacement. I don't recall how much it was maybe $20 or more. I asked the girl what happens if I find the others she said I could keep them just don't have them both on me at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Hopefully tomorrow will bring an usable solution...if not it won't be the first time I ended up cruising without him (Others were due to emergency issues with his own business). We are getting passports for sure now, lol.

Please keep us posted on your situation and how it's resolved.

In Maryland we have been compliant for years but they just started issuing the actual Real ID licenses that will be needed at the final deadline. Everyone can get the ones with the star if they go to an office instead of online renewal. But if you do onlline renewal which you can do until a certain age alternate renewals you won't get it until the next renewal. Also they won't issue a license at the DMV now like before, only take your picture. They give you a paper temporary copy and mail the license. I expect all you gloating about California may have the same situation eventually. The DL will have to be mailed. Probably has something to do with Real ID.

If the OP is near a big city they can get a passport at a passport office. A family member in Texas was able to get one the same day in Dallas.

No gloating here in California ... that's for darned sure! (n) And, they always mail the licenses to us ... always have, probably always will....and nothing to do with the Real ID. We just get the paper copy until the laminated license arrives by mail.

Looks like the OP is in Pismo Beach so a bit of a drive either way to get to a city where passports are issued.

No gloating here in California ... that's for darned sure! (n) And, they always mail the licenses to us ... always have, probably always will....and nothing to do with the Real ID. We just get the paper copy until the laminated license arrives by mail.

Looks like the OP is in Pismo Beach so a bit of a drive either way to get to a city where passports are issued.

Pismo Beach to LA - about 3 hours (176 miles)

Pismo Beach to SF - about 3 1/2 hours (245 miles)

Certainly a 6 hour trip (round trip) in order to be able to board the ship would be worth doing.

Yes, California is same as Florida...gotta wait for it to be mailed. Looking into emergency passport system here in CA..thank you!

That's not true in Florida. Thought I lost my DL last summer. Went to our local Sumter County Tax Collector's office, told them I couldn't find my DL. Filled out a form, took my picture, made a small payment, and BAM...they handed me a new DL. The OP needs to check with their local offices.