Hotel stay in Vancouver pre-cruise

Hi,

We are flying in the day before our cruise departs and am looking for advice on best/convenient place to stay for the night before leaving. I’m assuming taking the SkyTrain from YVR makes the most sense, but where to stay after that is up in the air. Recommendations? Prices right now for summer are insane but maybe that’s just the going rate for Downtown Vancouver.

Thanks

Rick

@rick1969: What time is your plane arriving at YVR? Do you have enough time for sightseeing?

What tentative date are you looking for a Vancouver room? Some dates are premium priced due to festivals.

We stayed in the historic Sylvia Hotel, the ‘Grand Old Lady’. There is a lot of walking and exploring opportunity to include Stanley Park and a quaint town. They also serve wonderful fresh food and interesting drinks. The sky tram doesn’t reach, so we took a taxi from the airport and to the ship port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fairmont, Westin and Hyatt are great if budget is no concern. If budget matters, the Marriott Pinnacle, Metropolitan, Coast and Holiday Inn are also viable options in on the action. In summer rates really skyrocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we stayed at a hotel by the airport..free shuttle to the hotel..took sky train in for the cruise the next day....had enough time to take the train in to downtown Vancouver to check out stuff and have dinner...train stop near the hotel

price for hotels by the airport much better than downtown

@rick1969: What time is your plane arriving at YVR? Do you have enough time for sightseeing?

What tentative date are you looking for a Vancouver room? Some dates are premium priced due to festivals.

We don’t get in until evening. Vancouver sightseeing is planned for post-cruise. Based on the prices I’m seeing, must be something else going on.

we stayed at a hotel by the airport..free shuttle to the hotel..took sky train in for the cruise the next day....had enough time to take the train in to downtown Vancouver to check out stuff and have dinner...train stop near the hotel

price for hotels by the airport much better than downtown

Thanks! Where did you stay?

That's the norm in summer around big cruise days sadly. If you want to stay by the airport there are many options in Richmond. Dt you can get cheaper and still close, but most everything will be $200 and up dt that time of year.

We paid $200 a night for a small room at the Sylvia. The clerk asked how we found them. I researched long and hard and saw those extreme prices. We were surprised at how clean that quaint old grand hotel was. It felt like we had stepped back in history. I recommend it.

I went ahead and booked a refundable rate with Expedia at the Metropolitan Hotel because of location. Right around the corner from a train station and walkable to the cruise. Thanks for all the help! Now I need to go work on best solutions for a group of 10 to communicate with each other while on the boat :)

I went ahead and booked a refundable rate with Expedia at the Metropolitan Hotel because of location. Right around the corner from a train station and walkable to the cruise. Thanks for all the help! Now I need to go work on best solutions for a group of 10 to communicate with each other while on the boat :)

Lovely hotel. Be aware that Canada Place is downhill a steepish but walkable hill from the hotel. We took a taxi to the pier because we had my mom with us but we laughingly suggested we should ride our luggage down the hill and practice our luge skills!

Lovely hotel. Be aware that Canada Place is downhill a steepish but walkable hill from the hotel. We took a taxi to the pier because we had my mom with us but we laughingly suggested we should ride our luggage down the hill and practice our luge skills!

Thanks! We will be sure to have our running shoes on! :D

We don’t get in until evening. Vancouver sightseeing is planned for post-cruise. Based on the prices I’m seeing, must be something else going on.
If you have no pre-cruise time for sightseeing.... look at an airport hotel for savings.

I like the Raddison Vancouver Airport.

• Shuttle bus to pick you up (or taxi) at the airport
  • $4 subway (station across the street) to get to the cruise terminal the next morning in 20 minutes.

If you have no pre-cruise time for sightseeing.... look at an airport hotel for savings.

I like the Raddison Vancouver Airport.

• Shuttle bus to pick you up (or taxi) at the airport
  • $4 subway (station across the street) to get to the cruise terminal the next morning in 20 minutes.

As I think about that more and how late we will end up getting into Vancouver, I think I’m going to go with this strategy instead of the Metropolitan downtown. We will be ready to crash once we get to the hotel anyway. Thanks for the further clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to Expedia. Do a rate comparison Metropolitan and the Vancouver Raddison Airport. Is there a significant price difference?

• Travel time for the hotels is not much different. It's the price/availability for your pre-cruise date.
  • Metropolitan will offer more Western food choices.
  • Raddison will offer more Asian food choices. The front desk would be advise you about a how far to walk for Western food choices or pizza delivery.

What time is your flight getting into Vancouver?

Another hotel option: we've booked the "cruise" package from the Holiday Inn in Richmond. Includes room for 1 night, breakfast, and transportation to the cruise port. We get in late so this was a good deal for us. I found this option after hunting around their website for special deals/local deals. It didn't come up in the search results. You need to look for it.

Obviously everyone's priorities are different, however I think you'd be far better off with a dt hotel vs Richmond. At least dt you can walk the sea wall, grab a coffee/breakfast, etc dt before boarding. There's nothing much to do around Richmond airport hotels.

Another hotel option: we've booked the "cruise" package from the Holiday Inn in Richmond. Includes room for 1 night, breakfast, and transportation to the cruise port. We get in late so this was a good deal for us. I found this option after hunting around their website for special deals/local deals. It didn't come up in the search results. You need to look for it.

Is this the Holiday Inn Express at the airport? Does it also include transportation from the airport to the hotel, from the cruiseport?

Thanks.