Just Off Pride Bahamas Princess Cay

Cobra1365

First, let me say this is written from the view of someone that has been sailing Carnival since the 90’s. So, I may have seen things others haven’t noticed. That being said, ANY time on a cruise is better than sitting behind my desk at work!

The Ship: Pride is starting to show some wear and tear for sure. Someone on board mentioned she’s due into dry dock soon. She could use it in spots. Overall, cleaner and in better shape 5han we saw her in Oct of 16. But, we noticed there are fewer staff to keep things shiny and new looking. For example, when we first started sailing, the balcony glass was always clean. This week, they cleaned it once in port. But, the room was always clean and Nolito took great care of us.

The Entertainment: more cutbacks over the years have seen the dance team cut down to 7 people total. It used to be 7 of each (man and woman). The shows were still good. One of the dancers seemed to over exaggerate the moves and one was very natural. The singers were good (save one male singer that strained every song).

There was a very good band in Red Frog Pub. Beasts of the East. We enjoyed a cold frosty in there each evening.

There was also a string trio that performed in the Atrium bar. Very good and quite beautiful. During one trivia session, the question was about Roy Orbison’s Pretty Woman. As the song was played, the trio came walking by in their formals...timing is everything!

Food: This is where I really have to mark them down. David’s Steak House as always was very good. But, that’s what the main dining room used to be like. Carnival’s choice to go to the American Table menu was not a good one IMHO. The selections were not very wide and I was surprised to see so few fish selections. The one night I chose Swordfish, it came from the grill, was about a 1/4 inch thick and was over cooked and dry. The Prime rib looked more like a slice of roast beef. The wait staff has been reduced so wait times were much longer. The wait staff always does a great job, they are just spread too thin.

Like I said, we enjoyed the cruise overall and will return. But, I feel like Carnival has gone from Marriott to Holiday Inn Express. It’s many little things that long time cruisers notice and tend to stack up...table clothes only on formal night. Dress codes that are rarely enforced(I know that’s an ongoing argument). The little basket of toiletries you used to get. General cleanliness of public areas (I saw a pile of French fries on the floor that weren’t cleaned up for over an hour.). BUT, rest assured, those photographers are still in your face at dinner time!

Anyway, just my thoughts. I’m sure there will be others that agree or disagree. It’s what keeps things interesting.

First, let me say this is written from the view of someone that has been sailing Carnival since the 90’s. So, I may have seen things others haven’t noticed. That being said, ANY time on a cruise is better than sitting behind my desk at work!

The Ship: Pride is starting to show some wear and tear for sure. Someone on board mentioned she’s due into dry dock soon. She could use it in spots. Overall, cleaner and in better shape 5han we saw her in Oct of 16. But, we noticed there are fewer staff to keep things shiny and new looking. For example, when we first started sailing, the balcony glass was always clean. This week, they cleaned it once in port. But, the room was always clean and Nolito took great care of us.

The Entertainment: more cutbacks over the years have seen the dance team cut down to 7 people total. It used to be 7 of each (man and woman). The shows were still good. One of the dancers seemed to over exaggerate the moves and one was very natural. The singers were good (save one male singer that strained every song).

There was a very good band in Red Frog Pub. Beasts of the East. We enjoyed a cold frosty in there each evening.

There was also a string trio that performed in the Atrium bar. Very good and quite beautiful. During one trivia session, the question was about Roy Orbison’s Pretty Woman. As the song was played, the trio came walking by in their formals...timing is everything!

Food: This is where I really have to mark them down. David’s Steak House as always was very good. But, that’s what the main dining room used to be like. Carnival’s choice to go to the American Table menu was not a good one IMHO. The selections were not very wide and I was surprised to see so few fish selections. The one night I chose Swordfish, it came from the grill, was about a 1/4 inch thick and was over cooked and dry. The Prime rib looked more like a slice of roast beef. The wait staff has been reduced so wait times were much longer. The wait staff always does a great job, they are just spread too thin.

Like I said, we enjoyed the cruise overall and will return. But, I feel like Carnival has gone from Marriott to Holiday Inn Express. It’s many little things that long time cruisers notice and tend to stack up...table clothes only on formal night. Dress codes that are rarely enforced(I know that’s an ongoing argument). The little basket of toiletries you used to get. General cleanliness of public areas (I saw a pile of French fries on the floor that weren’t cleaned up for over an hour.). BUT, rest assured, those photographers are still in your face at dinner time!

Anyway, just my thoughts. I’m sure there will be others that agree or disagree. It’s what keeps things interesting.

We were on this same cruise and the review is very accurate. The Pride really needs a complete makeover, things are both worn and dirty. Great comedians

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the 2 week Journey cruise right before you. Saw Saffie get her hair cut for St.Jude lol. Agree about the Beast from the East. We were in there almost every night. The woman singer had to leave in SJ because she had a sore throat that wouldn't clear up. Not sure if she is back. The drummer's wife had a baby boy during our cruise and he was to fly home at the end of our cruise for 2 weeks. Also saw the trio and they were very good. Saw one show titled the Beach Boys, I think and it was awful. Saw the comedian juggler who was very good. We are not too much show people, tho. YTD started at 5:15 and by 5 there was a very long line. Moved very fast, but then early dining started at 5:30. One of the waitstaff told us the early dining times caused a "problem" for the waitstaff as they were just overwhelmed with so many pax all at one time. I will admit that besides the excellent short ribs I had twice, the meat was always tough. I noticed some wear and tear around the ship, but nothing that really stands out and the crew were constantly washing and shining and mopping. My biggest pet peeve was I noticed empty cups and plates left in the ELEVATORS at times. You cannot expect the waitstaff cleaner uppers to be EVERYWHERE for goodness sake and I cannot comprehend why anyone would leave these items there. Come on people!!! :o We did a B2B on Pride, a Journeys cruise in 2016 and this Journeys cruise so we have been on Pride 6 weeks and we have had wonderful cruises. The good far outweighed any bad. And love that retractable roof at the Lido pool!

Sounds like you took a break from CCL. We first sailed with CCL on the Pride in 2012 and since then we've felt that the food in the MDR took an upswing (although we do see fewer choices on the menu with AT). We'll be on the Pride in 26 days or so and I look forward to comparing the two sailings.

We are going to be on the Pride on 3/25, and are wondering what kind of music "Beasts of the East" play? The only "Beasts of the East" that i can find online is some kind of rap band. We are hoping it's not the same. :) We went on the pride in 2015, and loved hanging out listening to the band in the Red Frog Pub, so we are looking forward to that again.

We are going to be on the Pride on 3/25, and are wondering what kind of music "Beasts of the East" play? The only "Beasts of the East" that i can find online is some kind of rap band. We are hoping it's not the same. :) We went on the pride in 2015, and loved hanging out listening to the band in the Red Frog Pub, so we are looking forward to that again.

No Rap.

They played a mixture of 80s and 90s. A Motown set. A Nashville set...thought it was more Southern Rock than country. Over all just a good mix of entertaining music.

Some folks we met did give them some feedback on their guitar solos though. He timed one that went for 17 mins!! So, he told them “we get it! You’re a good guitar player! But, 17 mins?” :D

I told them to add in Unchained Melody for the Motown set. The male lead has the range to kill it.

Not the OP here, but we were in Princess Cay in December. If you have been to Half Moon Cay, this is not it! While it was a pleasant day, it was not nearly as nice. The water, while beautiful, clear and warm even in December, was not the baby powder like bottom of HMC. Wear water shoes! Lots of rocks.

I walked, and walked, and walked, way down past the surf fishing and around the bend a couple of times and found some really nice spaces.

Here is a link to my photo album, which includes videos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1om350DQdhnYyeJ42

Not the OP here, but we were in Princess Cay in December. If you have been to Half Moon Cay, this is not it! While it was a pleasant day, it was not nearly as nice. The water, while beautiful, clear and warm even in December, was not the baby powder like bottom of HMC. Wear water shoes! Lots of rocks.

I walked, and walked, and walked, way down past the surf fishing and around the bend a couple of times and found some really nice spaces.

Here is a link to my photo album, which includes videos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1om350DQdhnYyeJ42

Thanks for the photos and your opinion of Princess Cay. I haven't been to PC yet, and I love HMC. After looking at your PC photos, I see that my memories of HMC, like yours, are much nicer.

One thing I forgot to mention is the location of the clamshells. I would have been very disappointed had I forked over money for one. There is no way into the water, nor is it really swimmable in front of them. Here is a screen cap from one of the videos. Also, note how far back the cabanas are.

26133626268_54c4ac8dd7_z.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention is the location of the clamshells. I would have been very disappointed had I forked over money for one. There is no way into the water, nor is it really swimmable in front of them. Here is a screen cap from one of the videos. Also, note how far back the cabanas are.

The sea wall was at the far end. They have moved a lot of clam shells to the main beach area. Yes, very rocky beach. I mainly stayed under an awning while my wife floated in the water all day!

Thank you- cabanas were available last I checked but reading the reviews, I didn't think they would be worth it. thanks for confirming.

Was that Allure Strings in the atrium? They were on the Conquest earlier this month and they were fabulous!

We were on the cruise before the OP (1/7-1/21) Not sure if they changed out,but the women on our cruise were the Liberty Trio. Also, the Caribbean Boyz at the pool were great as was the DJ.