Princess Star General Questions

vegasgal47

I've never been on Princess so I have a few questions. I'll be on the Star balcony cabin 15 days. Do they put towel animals in your cabin? I was told they didn’t.

How many shops do they have on the ship? I was told 3.

Do they have enclosed pools or jacuzzis that are heated?

Do the cabins on the Baja deck have a blocked view of the ocean (looking down) by the premium balcony below on the Caribe deck?

Are there fun activities on board?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be on the Star for the March 4 Hawaiian sailing; we took this same cruise last March.

This will be our 24th Princess cruise, and we've never had towel animals.

There are more than 3 shops.

There is a covered pool, but I don't know if it is heated.

We always book a Baja balcony, and you can see part of the balcony on the decks below.

There is plenty to do every day; Patters will be delivered to your mailbox each evening, and it lists all of the activities for the next day.

Also, the dining room is open for lunch on all sea days, but closed on port days if that matters to you. Breakfast and dinner are served every day whether it's a port or sea day.

We'll be on the Star for the March 4 Hawaiian sailing; we took this same cruise last March.

This will be our 24th Princess cruise, and we've never had towel animals.

There are more than 3 shops.

There is a covered pool, but I don't know if it is heated.

We always book a Baja balcony, and you can see part of the balcony on the decks below.

There is plenty to do every day; Patters will be delivered to your mailbox each evening, and it lists all of the activities for the next day.

Also, the dining room is open for lunch on all sea days, but closed on port days if that matters to you. Breakfast and dinner are served every day whether it's a port or sea day.

Thanks! Is there a reason you always book a Baja balcony? Is it that bad seeing the balcony below you? So you cant look down and see ocean? Have to look out?

Weird no towel animals. All the other lines I've been on had them. Holland, Royal, Celebrity and Carnival. Wonder why they don’t do that. It's ok, just curious.

We just got off the 15 day Hawaii cruise on Star.

We were in a Caribe balcony, half covered and half uncovered. You could see the balconies below but it wasn't a big deal.

We had no towel animals - I think this is dependant on cabin steward rather than ship. Sometimes on Princess we get them, sometimes we don't. We have been on Star before and got them. This time we didn't.

Star has a covered pool and several uncovered pools. None of the pools were particularly hot but they are all "heated". The hot tubs were all a good temperature for me!

Ships onboard were disappointing - the usual "boutique" where you can buy magnets, clothing, souvenirs, etc; a chocolate store that also had limited duty free alcohol and cigarettes, essentials you may have forgotten (Tylenol, toothpaste, etc); Effy jewellery store; the store that stocks the Clinique, prefumes, high end beauty products (the name escapes me). In addition there were constant "pop-up" stores in the dining room (outlet sales - clothing, stuff from old ports, etc) and on decks 6 and 7 (gold, t-shirts, port souvenirs). I wouldn't plan on getting too much shopping done onboard - even when I really TRY to spend money in the stores on the ship I fail miserably. There is just nothing much in there to buy!

I've never been on Princess so I have a few questions. I'll be on the Star balcony cabin 15 days. Do they put towel animals in your cabin? I was told they didn’t. Apparently, some stewards will do it. Your odds are better if you a) ask or b) have kids with you.

I think they don't do towel animals, because it uses a LOT of towels.:eek:

How many shops do they have on the ship? I was told 3. You can check the deck plans and see how many shops there are, definitely more than 3. Be ready to spend lots of $$ if you buy anything. I needed batteries (AAA) on our last cruise and 4 cost $10.:eek:

Do they have enclosed pools or jacuzzis that are heated? Hot tubs are always plenty warm, pools range from not warm at all to tepid.

Do the cabins on the Baja deck have a blocked view of the ocean (looking down) by the premium balcony below on the Caribe deck? The view down to the water isn't "blocked", you can still see the ocean, you'll also see balconies below you (depending on the deck).

See above.:D

We were in a Caribe balcony, half covered and half uncovered. You could see the balconies below but it wasn't a big deal.

We had no towel animals - I think this is dependant on cabin steward rather than ship. Sometimes on Princess we get them, sometimes we don't. We have been on Star before and got them. This time we didn't.

Star has a covered pool and several uncovered pools. None of the pools were particularly hot but they are all "heated". The hot tubs were all a good temperature for me!

Ships onboard were disappointing - the usual "boutique" where you can buy magnets, clothing, souvenirs, etc; a chocolate store that also had limited duty free alcohol and cigarettes, essentials you may have forgotten (Tylenol, toothpaste, etc); Effy jewellery store; the store that stocks the Clinique, prefumes, high end beauty products (the name escapes me). In addition there were constant "pop-up" stores in the dining room (outlet sales - clothing, stuff from old ports, etc) and on decks 6 and 7 (gold, t-shirts, port souvenirs). I wouldn't plan on getting too much shopping done onboard - even when I really TRY to spend money in the stores on the ship I fail miserably. There is just nothing much in there to buy!

Thank you so much and thanks for the laugh. I've had to try before to spend money. [emoji4]

Btw, did you enjoy the cruise?

Thanks! Is there a reason you always book a Baja balcony? Is it that bad seeing the balcony below you? So you cant look down and see ocean? Have to look out?

Weird no towel animals. All the other lines I've been on had them. Holland, Royal, Celebrity and Carnival. Wonder why they don’t do that. It's ok, just curious.

Baja has cabins on the cabins above and below so there isn't a lot of noise like you might get if you're under a pool or HC for instance. It's not a problem at all seeing the ocean from the balcony. We've seen lots of wildlife, and, in fact, I even saw a whale directly under the balcony while we were in Scotland. Baja is up high enough that you don't see the lifeboats and not so high up that you feel rough seas.

Btw, did you enjoy the cruise?

We had a great cruise! The Star had just come out of drydock so we were on for the repositioning prior to the holiday cruise (so 18 days in total). The staff were outstanding, lots of great activities, lots of special things going on for the holidays, and the ship itself was great - especially the brand new kids clubs! Already booked for next Christmas!

I've cruised on Princess, Royal, Celebrity, and Carnaval. We only had towel animals on Carnaval.

We had a great cruise! The Star had just come out of drydock so we were on for the repositioning prior to the holiday cruise (so 18 days in total). The staff were outstanding, lots of great activities, lots of special things going on for the holidays, and the ship itself was great - especially the brand new kids clubs! Already booked for next Christmas!

Glad you had a great cruise!

I've cruised on Princess, Royal, Celebrity, and Carnaval. We only had towel animals on Carnaval.

I guess it depends on your cabin steward cause i had them on every cruise I've been on. Never been on Princess or NCL. Will be sailing on the NCL Bliss in September.

Been on the Star twice and maybe had a total of 4 or 5 towel animals, They usually did them on formal nights if I remember correctly.

Pools not really warm, but chill knocked off.

Yes you can see other balconies if you look down.

Star is one of our favorite ships, always had great service and we enjoy the Wheelhouse Bar.

K and J

I guess it depends on your cabin steward cause i had them on every cruise I've been on. Never been on Princess or NCL. Will be sailing on the NCL Bliss in September.

Maybe it was just your steward then as you suggested. Looks like I will be seeing you on the NCL Bliss in September if you are cruising from Vancouver to Los Angeles.

On the Star on our Hawaii cruise last September, Traditional Dining was in the Amalfi Dining room on Fiesta Deck 6 Aft. There is no walkway access on Deck 6 beyond the Piazza. The only ways to get to the Amalfi Dining room are the aft stairways or two of the four aft elevators from Deck 7 (or above). You can't get there from Deck 5 without going up to Deck 7.

Starting at about 5:00 PM people start arriving and by the time they open for the 5:30 seating the little elevator lobby on Deck 6 aft is full and the crowd has spilled up the stairs and into the Deck 7 elevator lobby.

So just be prepared if you have early Traditional on the Star, particularly if you can't do stairs.

On the Star on our Hawaii cruise last September, Traditional Dining was in the Amalfi Dining room on Fiesta Deck 6 Aft. There is no walkway access on Deck 6 beyond the Piazza. The only ways to get to the Amalfi Dining room are the aft stairways or two of the four aft elevators from Deck 7 (or above). You can't get there from Deck 5 without going up to Deck 7.

Starting at about 5:00 PM people start arriving and by the time they open for the 5:30 seating the little elevator lobby on Deck 6 aft is full and the crowd has spilled up the stairs and into the Deck 7 elevator lobby.

So just be prepared if you have early Traditional on the Star, particularly if you can't do stairs.

Thanks! We have 6:30. Hope its better by then.

Vegasgal, we will be sailing on this cruise with you. If your Steward doesn't make you a Towel Animal, let me know. I can come and make you a swan or an elephant. They used to have towel folding classes (not sure if they still do), but those two are the only ones I remember. DH has accused me of taking every class Princess offers, which isn't true. Sometimes the classes overlap and I can't.

Vegasgal, we will be sailing on this cruise with you. If your Steward doesn't make you a Towel Animal, let me know. I can come and make you a swan or an elephant. They used to have towel folding classes (not sure if they still do), but those two are the only ones I remember. DH has accused me of taking every class Princess offers, which isn't true. Sometimes the classes overlap and I can't.

I've seen the towel folding class on occasion, but definitely not every cruise.

Thanks! We have 6:30. Hope its better by then.

If you mean First Seating in traditional dining, don't count on it. Princess has a nasty habit of confirming 1st seating at 6pm, but when you get onboard it's either 5:45 or even worse 5:30. There's an early 5:30 seating in another dining room, but it's rarely 6pm in the traditional dining room.

We took this same cruise last March, and first seating was 5:45 in the Amalfi dining room. We're on the March 4 cruise, and we're confirmed for 6pm. I keep hoping it will actually be at 6pm, but I'm expecting 5:45.

If you mean First Seating in traditional dining, don't count on it. Princess has a nasty habit of confirming 1st seating at 6pm, but when you get onboard it's either 5:45 or even worse 5:30. There's an early 5:30 seating in another dining room, but it's rarely 6pm in the traditional dining room.

We took this same cruise last March, and first seating was 5:45 in the Amalfi dining room. We're on the March 4 cruise, and we're confirmed for 6pm. I keep hoping it will actually be at 6pm, but I'm expecting 5:45.

We had 5:30pm traditional in the Portofino. Worked out great for us as we were sailing with little ones so dinner was finished in time for them to go to kids club!

Lol. Thank you!

Been on the Star twice and maybe had a total of 4 or 5 towel animals, They usually did them on formal nights if I remember correctly.

Pools not really warm, but chill knocked off.

Yes you can see other balconies if you look down.

Star is one of our favorite ships, always had great service and we enjoy the Wheelhouse Bar.

K and J

Thank you. Glad to hear its one of your favorites.

Thanks. Early is ok as long as we r back on ship and dint miss shows. We normally ear dinner at 5pm anyway.