New to Cruise, need help, Thanks in advance!

newtocruise101

Hi There,

I am grateful that I found this website, I hope you can help to answer a couple of questions.

We are planning to book Regal Princess to cruise Scandinavian and Russia for 11 days.

First I need help to decide on a cabin. There will be three of us -- DH, DD (teenage) and I.

• Deluxe balcony or mini-suite? Yes I'd love mini-suite for the extra space, but is it worth the money for that (about $1000 extra)?
  • I am a quiet sleeper and prone to seasickness, so which deck and which section is the best for that reason?
  • Facing forward, which side of the ship is better, left or right?

Wrt dinning, fixed time or any time dinning, what would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

A mini suite has a curtain to separate the sleeping areas for privacy, deluxe balcony does not, however all walls and ceilings are metal. I’ve heard that some people rig a curtain using magnetic hooks. If you’re prone to seasickness, try for midship, both front to back and top to bottom. I recommend around deck 9. Deck 8 has common areas such as lounges, etc, below it that can be noisy. Too close to the elevator can also be noisier. We used to select any time dining, but have found we prefer fixed. They might even try to seat you with other families with teens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First I need help to decide on a cabin. There will be three of us -- DH, DD (teenage) and I.

• Deluxe balcony or mini-suite? Yes I'd love mini-suite for the extra space, but is it worth the money for that (about $1000 extra)? May not be worth the extra money. Others will disagree.
  • I am a quiet sleeper and prone to seasickness, so which deck and which section is the best for that reason? Question: if this is your first cruise, how do you know you're prone to seasickness? I thought I'd get seasick because I had in the past on small boats. Not a problem for me on a ship.
    Most say lower and middle of the ship for more stability.
  • Facing forward, which side of the ship is better, left or right? Doesn't really seem to make any difference. IMHO

Wrt dining, fixed time or any time dining, what would you recommend? We've done both and prefer the stability of same table, same waiters, no wait in line. YMMV. You won't know until you've done it.

My opinions above...others will disagree.;p That's Cruise Critic for you.

Hi There,

I am grateful that I found this website, I hope you can help to answer a couple of questions.

We are planning to book Regal Princess to cruise Scandinavian and Russia for 11 days.

• Deluxe balcony or mini-suite? Yes I'd love mini-suite for the extra space, but is it worth the money for that (about $1000 extra)?
  • I am a quiet sleeper and prone to seasickness, so which deck and which section is the best for that reason?

Thanks so much!

The deluxe balcony cabins have good room in them but you would have a bit more for 3 people in a mini.

You would want to be midship for the best location on deck 8 or 9. Those have the least motion. It's such a big ship that there isn't all that much motion especially in those locations.

It doesn't matter which side of the ship you are booked on.

Fixed dining you have the same wait staff each night and you must attend the seating assigned. For anytime dining you can go when you want to but at certain times the wait for a table may be long. It's a matter of preference.

Everything you are asking is really a matter of personal preference with no right or wrong answer.

Anytime dining means you go when the restaurant is open. As with any shoreside restaurant, you may be seated immediately or you may have to wait for a table. Fixed dining means you have your specified table and serving team every night, but you have to show up at your assigned time.

I get horribly seasick on small boats, bumpy airplanes, and back seats of cars. I've never had a problem on a cruise ship. However, the least motion is as close to the center of the ship as possible. This means forward to aft center (midship) and top to bottom (remember that there are several crew decks below what you are aware of.

Princess cabins are TINY. But only you know whether you will spend any time in your cabin or if your days are out and about on the ship. Only you can determine the best cabin type for your family.

Hi There,

• Deluxe balcony or mini-suite? Yes I'd love mini-suite for the extra space, but is it worth the money for that (about $1000 extra)? Balcony cabins ARE small ~ deluxe or not. You have to decide what works best for your family.
  • I am a quiet sleeper and prone to seasickness, so which deck and which section is the best for that reason? Agree with others if sea sickness is truly a problem. Mid-ships on lower decks.
  • Facing forward, which side of the ship is better, left or right? Depends on your preference and the particular cruise. If cruising close enough to the coast to see anything, I opt for the landside. Personal choice.

Wrt dinning, fixed time or any time dinning, what would you recommend? We typically do anytime but the last few cruises were a true pain in the butt. You can reserve a table each day if you remember and are onboard when reservations open up. That being said, we rarely could get a table between 5:30 - 7PM. If you want to stay flexible, this is the way to go but don't be surprised by the occasional wait...

Thanks so much!

Comments above. Not sure when you're looking to go but we're booked on the July 4th sailing out of Copenhagen.

For a Baltics cruise, I would recommend anytime dining. The days are going to be long and varied. This way you have the option to dine whenever you want. The buffet is so good on the Royal, most nights I found myself just going up there rather than to the MDR. I don't know what I am going to be doing each day, and do not like to be locked into a certain dining time. :D

I get horribly seasick. I get sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver and try to do anything at all other than watch the road like a hawk. I get the TransdermScop patch from the doctor and have been through really terrible seas without a hint of seasickness. When the outer decks were all closed off due to high seas and high winds and people who normally have "iron stomachs" went to their cabins to lie down due to the rocking and rolling of the ship I ate steak and lobster and didn't worry about a thing. The patch is not for everybody but it allows me to cruise and you may want to look into it if you are prone to getting sick. I can't imagine spending all that money to go on a cruise and feeling sick the entire time.

I like a mini over the balcony because of the size of the bathroom. It has a tub in it, rather than a dinky shower that you have to wrestle with the shower curtain. Also because of the bathtub, it has more room for us to put our toiletries around, as both myself and my husband use different shampoo, face wash etc.

On dining. Fixed seating is sometimes very hard to get. Suggest you try and get it when booking. If you don't like it. you can switch to Anytime dining easily. Usually impossible to do the reverse.

If you do this, and decide to abandon Traditional fixed seating, be sure to let them know, otherwise your seats will be held for the whole cruise!

I can only really speak to the cabin choice and sea sickness. First off, don't believe anyone that tells you it isn't likely you will get sick on a cruiseship. I have gotten very sea sick on cruises in the past. I found many things that work for me and now, I am pretty safe unless I am in really rough waters. For the smoothest ride on the ship, you will want to pick a cabin as close to midship as possible and down on one of the lower decks. I also find that a balcony is helpful as sitting outside in the fresh air seems to help the queasy tummy.

Other helpful hints:

- eat green apples

- don't fill your stomach with liquids and don't over eat - but if already queasy, club soda with bitters will help (I have them add lots of bitters)

- get moving -- take a walk, go dancing

- don't go to events or shows in the front or top deck of the ship if you are already feeling a bit unsteady

- seabands (acupressure bands to be worn on your wrists) - you can purchase for about $5 a pair in your local drug store. They even make one that has electric impulses for about $100 but the $5 ones work for me so haven't tried the expensive version (I, like some others, cannot tolerate the scopolamine patch)

- ginger tablets - also at the drug store for about $5 - contains just ground ginger

- if all else fails, they have a non-drowsy Dramamine that does help

I wouldn't spend that much extra for a mini-suite but to each his own. The caribe deck balconies are quite nice and will save you a bunch.

I usually book an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Emerald deck and haven't had trouble in that area and save even more money ... but no fresh air available there unless you walk down a deck or two. Here is a site that shows the obstruction (or lack thereof) for these cabins. There are some pretty good ones available.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/golden-grand-star-princess

For quieter cabins, try to pick one that has cabins above and below you. It is not quiet right above the theater, some lounges, piano bar or below the pool deck. It is quiet right above the photo display area, though. The only issue with the obstructed OV cabins is they do work on the tenders and lifeboats throughout the cruise and if you have any tender ports, they may pick the one located right outside your cabin window. It will wake you right out of a sound sleep if you have an early morning arrival. We've been in E416 on the Star before, though ... just a little chaser boat in front of that window so no noise. Not the best view but a very nice quiet room.

One of the most prolific posters on these boards mentioned something that makes a lot of sense when choosing a quiet cabin. The schematics that show a jump in room numbers indicate a fire door which is also accompanied by a strip of metal running crosswise in the hallway. Room service and room steward carts are noisy when crossing over these metal strips so you may want to avoid these rooms if you are sensitive to noise.

Also, stay away from the rooms that are directly across from the openings that spill out into the elevator / stairwell vestibules. For some reason, people love to congregate and even have a little party right there ... almost in front of your doorway. Indoor voices, please ... :o:o:rolleyes:

Lastly, I've also heard you don't want to be right across from the doorway that the room steward uses. We've not been situated there on this line but have done so on Celebrity before and there was always noise early in the morning.

Oddly enough, never have I had an issue with noise in a room directly across from the laundromat.

Enjoy and may you find calm seas and quiet neighbors.

:o:o:o

To sum up the question of deluxe balcony or mini-suite, if money is not that much of the primary factor then I would go with the mini-suite, even a cc mini-suite if not that much more. Having been an only DD who traveled a lot with her parents, I know I would appreciate the mini-suite in that the curtain can be closed and I can have my own little mini room to myself. Also, with three of you having the "normal" bathroom with a bathtub/shower and more space,............ well that is a super plus too. So if you can even consider it, don't hesitate but book a mini-suite on a deck that has staterooms BOTH above and below yours and also midship or close to mid-ship by booking a mid-forward or mid-aft cabin closest to mid area.

Pooh

Hi There,

Thanks so much![/quot

We took our 20y/o daughter on a cruise and booked a mini suite for the little extra room and she didn't mind the sleeper sofa, it was turned down every evening along with our bed, privacy was not an issue, you can ask for a table for 3 at the MDR for fixed dining time, my wife starts taking Dramamine 24 hrs. prior to cruise and then daily once we leave and never has gotten seasick, mid ship low decks provide the best stability and it doesn't matter which side and only once were we right outside the elevator and that wasn't too bad except one night when a few people were celebrating a BD. Now all you have to do is pick and choose which answers you like. Regal is a beautiful ship, we've sailed it numerous times.

I wouldn't spend that much extra for a mini-suite but to each his own. The caribe deck balconies are quite nice and will save you a bunch.

I usually book an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Emerald deck and haven't had trouble in that area and save even more money ... but no fresh air available there unless you walk down a deck or two. Here is a site that shows the obstruction (or lack thereof) for these cabins. There are some pretty good ones available.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinv...-star-princess

As the OP stated they're going on the Regal, Regal has no ocean view rooms, just saying.

Went on my first cruise in January, Fort Lauderdale down to Caribbean. People DO get seasick. We were lucky however, I heard of others who had to stay in their cabin the whole first day. FYI, they had to close ALL the pools that day due to motion of the ship. I would suggest talking to your doctor and being prepared. If you don't need the medicine great.

Others have also said the same thing about being lower on the ship and in the middle. If you are worried about being seasick you might want to trade this off against noise. Again, personal choice.

You may also want to check out the location of the sit down restaurants. Because of when we booked (last minute) we ended up in an aft restaurant so you could really feel the motion of the ship on the first day out.

There are many different opinions as to dining: fixed time, anytime, buffet. Personally we liked fixed time in a dining room, we had a nice table for 2. Didn't really like a buffet and with fixed time the staff gets to know you and for example they would bring us what we drank without even asking. Again, this is up to you. However, with anytime dining in the main dining rooms there can be a wait for dinner. On your cruise it may not be a problem or it could be an hour wait. If you do get into a higher class meal venue with the mini-suite the food may be better, if that is important to you.

FYI, at least one of the nights will be a formal night and people do tend to dress in the dinning rooms a little nice than at the buffet even on non-formal nights. My personal opinion is if you are going to a sit down dining room on a formal night you should dress nice.

FYI, you did not ask however unless it was a free perk you might decide ahead of time if you want to buy a drink package (there are both soft drink only packages and liquor based packages). There are numerous threads regarding whether or not these make sense. Also, at least on the Crown Princess the bartenders were not that good.

Finally, you did not ask but did mention your teenage daughter was going with you. Depending on your particular cruise there may be many other teenagers or very few. Princess tends to skew a little older and is typically less of a party boat than Carnival. However, I tend to think the age mix is extremely dependent on the particular cruise. Our cruise started out of Fort Lauderdale (Florida is one of the retirement capitals of the US) and during a time when school was in session. As a result very, very, few under the age of 21. A few more people in retirement age then in the general population however there seemed to be a good mix of ages across the board from twenty something couples and singles through 80 year olds.

We liked our cruise and will go on an additional cruise with Princess assuming we like the itinerary.

Thanks so much to all!

We are booked with a mini-suite, on deck 10 mid section. The winning argument was our daughter will love the extra "room" and space to her own. Club Class mini-suite is sold out, that does sound good though.

I currently have the fixed time dinning reserved, but was told that we don't have to show up for the night we don't feel like it and can go any time dinning or buffet.

Thanks so much for all the tips for preventing from seasickness, I definitely will use them. I hope I can be like others that I will not experience the seasickness although I think I am prone to it.

Thanks again!

You made a good choice with your cabin!

The bathroom with tub should be a real plus, as well as an actual table on the balcony.

There is a very good video tour of this type of minisuite here: If it is okay to post...

PLEASE do not try to get into anytime dining if you are signed up for a traditional dining time.

Anytime diners often have some wait times.

I do not know how Princess staff on the Regal is handling this right now. But, traditional dining guests should not expect to walk-in at Anytime Dining.

If you have traditional dining (same table, waitstaff, etc...) but would like some flexibility on some nights, there is the Buffet, which seems to be extensive on the Regal, and the other specialty restaurants as well.

You made a good choice with your cabin!

PLEASE do not try to get into anytime dining if you are signed up for a traditional dining time.

Anytime diners often have some wait times.

I do not know how Princess staff on the Regal is handling this right now. But, traditional dining guests should not expect to walk-in at Anytime Dining.

If you have traditional dining (same table, waitstaff, etc...) but would like some flexibility on some nights, there is the Buffet, which seems to be extensive on the Regal, and the other specialty restaurants as well.

OK. Understood your logic and got your points, thanks for pointing that out.

The concept that you can book traditional dining but go to "anytime" is one of the things that bothers me about Princess. The bottom line is that sometimes you can and sometimes you can't--it seems to be up to the powers that be. On the other hand, I think it is terribly unfair to those who have booked "anytime." They often have a wait for a table, and shouldn't be required to wait behind someone who booked "traditional" but decided to crash "anytime" that night. If you book "traditional" but don't show up, your table sits empty that night. It can't be used by someone else as it has been reserved for you. If you are permitted to go to "anytime," you are essentially taking the table of someone who has booked a spot there. The only difference is that they didn't have to specify their arrival time.

The buffet is open every night, so that is an option. And room service on Princess is actually good.

Thanks so much to all!

We are booked with a mini-suite, on deck 10 mid section. The winning argument was our daughter will love the extra "room" and space to her own. Club Class mini-suite is sold out, that does sound good though.

I currently have the fixed time dinning reserved, but was told that we don't have to show up for the night we don't feel like it and can go any time dinning or buffet.

Thanks so much for all the tips for preventing from seasickness, I definitely will use them. I hope I can be like others that I will not experience the seasickness although I think I am prone to it.

Thanks again!

Certainly sounds like you've made the best possible choice available.

Enjoy! :D