Tie on formal nights?

rainbowhays

I am taking my first Princess cruise in September and am a little concerned about the tie rule on formal nights.

I do like to dress up and have a blazer and sports jackets with dress shirts.

I cannot do up my top shirt button due to medical issues so I cannot wear a tie.

I am a rule follower and I don’t want to look out of place.

I hope someone who has sailed with Princess can offer me some advice.

Ties are not required and a trend I have seen in the last few years is men dressed in suits with an open collar. Ties seem to be on the wane. I have never worn a noose around my neck on a cruise ship and have always gone to formal night in the MDR. Have a great cruise.

BTW suits and sport coats are also not required these days.

I am taking my first Princess cruise in September and am a little concerned about the tie rule on formal nights.

I cannot do up my top shirt button due to medical issues so I cannot wear a tie.

I don't have a medical issue, but tight ties are uncomfortable for me, and arthritis in the hands makes it difficult for me to tie a decent knot. I found these on Amazon, bought a few, and use them for formal nights (DW wants me to dress semi-formal, at least) with a dress shirt and blazer and slacks.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=zip+up+necktie&sprefix=zip+up+nec%2Caps%2C230&crid=1WQ79MNFW4WIW

They may be something you could wear and leave a slight bit loose.

Good luck, and have a great cruise.

You will be fine and probably look better then most!!

Tony

You will be fine without a tie. Some passengers will probably try to enter the dining room in shorts.

We just returned from our first Princess cruise. DH wore a jacket and tie, but many many others did not. A nice shirt and a jacket will be totally appropriate. We saw passengers with shorts every single night, including formal night.

Between diabetes and arthritis I have the same problem. Jacket with dress shirt is all I do. No tie, either (and Maitre D' did not blink an eye.

Unless you are in a full suite on princess, #3 is not true. They will not bring you entrees or any food from the MDR to your cabin.

We were in a balcony cabin last September on board the Emerald, and we ordered room service from the MDR menu several times, without any problems. Of course, we gave the room service waitress a generous tip. - EBC

I have problems with wearing a tie due to my neck size.

I have worn a tie with the top button of my shirt un-buttoned,

I have worn shirts that were much too large (but had the proper neck size), I have gone to the "big and tall shop" for shirts that would fit properly. The latter advised me that they had nothing that would fit me properly and that the best solution would be a nice shirt with an open collar. It was about this time that I noticed that the Princess Patter description of the dress code for formal nights does not mention a tie. It states "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men".

• 2 weeks later...
When I wear a suit or a tuxedo it is because I want to compliment my wife for 28 years and not to please the other people in the dining room. I appreciate that Princess designates a few nights of our cruise as a salute to a time when cruising and dining were events. Then again I wouldn’t turn up for dinner in my own home in shorts or pyjamas which puts me at odds with today’a fashions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry but I meant to add that dressing nicely and appropriately does not require a tie either tightly or loosely done. Enjoy your cruise and your dinners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn shirts that were much too large (but had the proper neck size), I have gone to the "big and tall shop" for shirts that would fit properly. The latter advised me that they had nothing that would fit me properly and that the best solution would be a nice shirt with an open collar. It was about this time that I noticed that the Princess Patter description of the dress code for formal nights does not mention a tie. It states "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men".

Maybe a bit off topic, but I found the solution for me was to buy the larger neck size in a slim fit if you normally take a regular fit.

I use a button extender. They are available many places and inexpensive. There is a loop that goes around the "real" button and then a button on the end that you use to actually button the shirt. This allows me to button the shirt and also keeps me from choking. If dining in MDR on formal night I wear a suit and tie. I have never seen shorts in MDR. On our last cruise there were a couple of people turned away from MDR for inappropriate dress.

f34c7ec5-95a3-41e7-9400-95423855bfad_1.0c1626a799e5bd116c2aa30a81e64f97.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF