Peritoneal Dialysis Experience on Carnival Ship - Have you done it?

There is a group called Dialysis at Sea that provides onboard dialysis services on certain ships/cruise lines. Google them for more information.

Roz

Evaluating this approach as a way to continue cruising instead of going to clinic in all the different ports. Any experiences and evaluation of those. Thanks for any help you can give us.
We did it on a cruise. No problem. Main reason my late partner went with it so he could continue traveling. Any questions, will be glad to answer based on our experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My dad did it when he was living and a woman who travels with my group does it as well. My dad did it manually about 3 to four times per day. The first time we had Baxter deliver the solution. That was a nightmare that caused my dad to disembark the ship, I got off with him. We caught up with the ship in Panama.

After that, my dad started carrying his solutions onto the ship himself.

The woman requests assistance at the port and someone comes and take it to her room.

With Dialysis at Sea, everyone in the cabin have to pay the same rate and the treatment cruise can be cancelled if the required patients aren't booked.

Peritoneal dialysis is easily done on your own....so you probably don't need "Dialysis at Sea" for that. Hopefully, you'll be staying the night prior in your port, and can have your supplies delivered to the hotel. I know it's a TON of stuff, but it sure beats clinics! I'm confused tho....sounds like you're on hemo-dialysis now....you know peritoneal requires surgery to place the catheter and you can't swim......

Peritoneal dialysis is easily done on your own....so you probably don't need "Dialysis at Sea" for that. Hopefully, you'll be staying the night prior in your port, and can have your supplies delivered to the hotel. I know it's a TON of stuff, but it sure beats clinics! I'm confused tho....sounds like you're on hemo-dialysis now....you know peritoneal requires surgery to place the catheter and you can't swim......

It is not me, it is my significant other. And yes we know what this is all about. We are meeting with a PD Nurse at the main Devita here on Monday and we have already been in contact with Carnival's Guest Access Department and are working to carefully understand everything and make a well thought out and doable decision. Our request here is to see if there are people who have done this on a cruise ship, by themselves and what their assessment of it is, and what are things to watch out for and things that need to be constantly watched to make sure that everything is there on time and ready to go.

We had no problems on our cruise. Ordered solution in advance with help of nurse at Davita and Baxter delivered it to the cabin where it was waiting. Have to take your cycler and other supplies but that wasn’t too hard. Just don’t check it if you fly. Doesn’t count against carry on on airlines because it’s medical equipment. We did his dialysis every night since the cycle runs for 8 hours. Didn’t do manual. Just be sure to bring an extension cord to plug in the cycler.

Sent from my iPad using Forums