What is worth the trip by taxi to Puerto Plata

BillandKateC

We are going to hire a taxi at Amber Cove and go to the cable car. We are trying to decide if it is really worth the time to continue on to Puerto Plata and see the city. Is the church or fort worth seeing and what about the rum and amber factories. Just looking for some honest opinions.

• 1 month later...

The cable car is the best thing there, with great views from the top. The rum factory is really only a bottling/packaging plant, but they do have good prices for buying rum as you leave. The cathedral is small. The amber museum is mildly interesting, as is the fort. If you like mamajuana, you can buy some at the amber museum and store. We were staying for a week at a resort east of town and frankly, I couldn't wait to return to it. Now, this was six years ago, and perhaps things have changed since. But I speak Spanish, went to school in Mexico, and still found the town terribly depressing.

Edited by Langoustine

No, not that far but it is a "hike." I would compare it to the walk to get to the taxis at Puerta Maya/Cozumel. You have to "run the gauntlet" of shopping opportunities. :D

See #9 on this map of the port. You enter the port from the walk from the ship at #1.

https://www.ambercove.com/userfiles/images/Amber%20Cove/Brochure-AmberCove%20jpg.jpg

I liked the fort, the city was fairly standard but nice.

The taxis are about 1/2 way to the private tour area. That said, you may find that arranging a private tour may be cost effective depending on number of people, and you have a vehicle that stays with you, etc.