Help plan our first visit

Icemodeled

My husband I will be leaving for our cruise in 2 days and will be in grand cayman on Monday. We are late 20s, no kids. First time cruise and visit to Cayman Islands. Will be there from 7am to 3:30pm. I understand with tethering and debarking the ship, it will be less time. We both want to head back to ship at least 2 hours early(husband is nervous to miss the ship).

We would like to keep this day rather cheap, as we are spending quite a lot in cozumel the next day at an AI beach resort(Nachi Cocom) and doing a snorkeling tour($38pp).

Was thinking to first explore Georgetown (this is where we will be tethering to?) shop and stroll around. Then taxi or bus somewhere to SMB. Looked at Royal Palms(seems it may be the busier choice, plus they charge a small fee), Calico Jacks(no entrance fee, would walk a little down the beach to spread out from the crowds, get a appetizer to share) and cemetery beach(no facilities which we could make do). I think cemetery beach also is more for JUST snorkeling.. would like to swim also so would then want to walk to a spot without rocks. Also to walk somewhere more easy to get a taxi back to ship.

What we're looking for - good wifi(want to check in with family), bathrooms/lockers etc would be nice, be able to spread out and away from the crowds - we don't want to be bottled up with everyone. We don't drink, not looking for a party atmosphere and plan to pack snacks so we may just grab an appetizer to share at a restaurant/bar. Just a peaceful quiet atmosphere. Or maybe drop off at restaurant(rather not pay any fees, since the beach is free) to just access a path to beach.

Being our first time, we are just not sure what the best choice may be. Any suggestions based on what we're looking for?

• Like 1

You will be TENDERING...not tethering! The trip take about 5-8 mins, once the tender leaves the ship. There is little need to rebound 2 hours prior to departure....unless you're done with your time ashore! The last tender is about 30 mins. prior to stated sailaway time.

Yes, you will get off the tender in Georgetown...very walkable. 7 Mile beach is to the left of the tender dock...buses run regularly...$2.50pp and easy peezy. Buses run all over the island...Google Grand Cayman Buses....you can get the routes!

There are restrooms/rentals, both watersport and loungers/umbrellas up and down the length of 7 mile beach Public Beach has Calico Jacks, with food/drink...beaches are ALL free....if you don't want a lounger, simply throw your towels down and enjoy!

Welcome to CC!

First, be sure to take beach towels from the ship. We both carry beach bags big enough for towels, sun block, bottled water, whatever we might need. We normally go to royal palms but it can be quite crowded there. I’ve snorkeled Cemetary beach and it’s very shaded and nice but there’s nothing there at all. There’s a bus stop right where the trail runs from the road down beside the Cemetary to the beach. The reef is a short swim out but it’s sand right by the beach. Food is very expensive in GC (as is everything else) so eat breakfast aboard ship. A small pizza will run something crazy like $40 U.S. Remember that menu prices are in Camenian dollars. US dollars take something like 30% more. You mentioned shopping, my advice is stay out of the stores there. $$$!!! Find a quiet spot on the beach and get in the water. Sometimes we just stay in the water for hours there. Getting back 2 hours early is unnecessary. It’s really easy to get back to the ship and given that y’all don’t drink you won’t be hammered trying to get back. Make sure your watch or phone is on ship time though. Have fun!

Thank you for the replies and advice! We will not come back so early then, maybe head back an hour before. I guess we will mostly stroll Georgetown and just window shop a bit if we have time since it seems prices are very expensive. We decided we will also just bring snacks and water with us off the ship to have instead of eating out.

Thinking maybe to go to Governors beach first(less busy hopefully) and then walk when finished to public beach to change and use restrooms there. It seems like only a 10 minute walk? I'll have to see if there's a bus stop right by Governors, would think so. I'll check the bus routes map. Is Governors also shaded some and would it be less busy then royal palm or public beach?

The other option would be cemetery beach, since the reef is a little farther out as you said, we could swim and relax in the water at shore and snorkel when we wanted to. I like that there is also shade. Is there anywhere in walking distance, maybe 15 min walk or less, that would have public bathrooms?

take a taxi to Smith's Cove and enjoy a beautiful small beach which few cruisers will know about. There is only a small bathroom and shower building and a couple of picnic tables, no other 'facilities' .... enjoy what may be a private beach

smith_cove_grand_cayman.png

when ready for lunch walk back towards town to Sunset House and there head waterside to "My Bar" ..... you can get a bite and something cold to drink at one of the places the 'locals' go. Again, I doubt you'll run into many other cruise folks here.

https://www.sunsethouse.com/island-info-my-bar-a-local-favorite

5d876a_8a3b825f3e30402caa076b3f29c52db1~mv2_d_5184_3456_s_4_2.webp

{ask the bartender for the WiFi password .. if you are buying something they give it freely ... and it is usually OK to use the pool too - if you ask nicely and they are not using for a dive class}

From here you can either walk to the tenders (less than a mile) or ask the bartender to call you a taxi .... there are usually several hanging out right there (playing dominoes)

enhance

Edited by Capt_BJ