Planning My First Cruise

ChuckL88

Hi all

I am currently planning my first cruise and have plenty of questions.

I will be sailing on Carnival Spirit for a 9 night cruise, from Sydney Australia to New Caledonia on the 9th of December 2019.

I will be travelling as part of a group of 11 if all goes according to plan.

We are considering your time dining. The youngest will be in a high chair.

1. Are there tables on board this ship big enough for all of us?

2. Is there normally a long wait for a table this size?

3. If we decide to eat somewhere else for dinner do we still inform the MDR?

4. Can we all eat at different times or separately if some want to dine elsewhere?

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure Carnival does things 100% the same when sailing out of Australia.

(1) There should be. They've been trending towards smaller tables over time, but worst case they might put you at 2 adjacent 6 seat tables. However, assuming you're not all in one cabin :eek: you will need your TA to link your reservations so Carnival knows to seat you together.

(2) If you have an assigned dining time, you will have an assigned table(s) at that time. If you do "my time dining" and go at a busy time you could be in for a long wait to get that much seating together.

(3) We don't do this sailing out of the US, so I would not think it would be necessary over there either. That would be something of a cultural thing though.

(4) You can do as you choose individually. However, if some are not dining in the MDR, it's nice to let the others know so they can tell the waitstaff, so they don't delay taking orders.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure Carnival does things 100% the same when sailing out of Australia.

(1) There should be. They've been trending towards smaller tables over time, but worst case they might put you at 2 adjacent 6 seat tables. However, assuming you're not all in one cabin :eek: you will need your TA to link your reservations so Carnival knows to seat you together.

(2) If you have an assigned dining time, you will have an assigned table(s) at that time. If you do "my time dining" and go at a busy time you could be in for a long wait to get that much seating together.

(3) We don't do this sailing out of the US, so I would not think it would be necessary over there either. That would be something of a cultural thing though.

(4) You can do as you choose individually. However, if some are not dining in the MDR, it's nice to let the others know so they can tell the waitstaff, so they don't delay taking orders.

Thanks for the help Mike, much appreciated :)

Hi all

I am currently planning my first cruise and have plenty of questions.

I will be sailing on Carnival Spirit for a 9 night cruise, from Sydney Australia to New Caledonia on the 9th of December 2019.

I will be travelling as part of a group of 11 if all goes according to plan.

We are considering your time dining. The youngest will be in a high chair.

1. Are there tables on board this ship big enough for all of us?

2. Is there normally a long wait for a table this size?

3. If we decide to eat somewhere else for dinner do we still inform the MDR?

4. Can we all eat at different times or separately if some want to dine elsewhere?

If it is like the US sailings, you will need to link your reservations and then you should receive a table/seating together. I would strongly suggest you get EARLY fixed dining with the little one. It could be a challenge to get a table for a large group with YTD.

If you miss, or only part of your group shows with fixed dining, you will still be at your same table - but that is not an issue. If we know we will not be there because we are eating in the Steakhouse, for example, we let the staff know the night before. But if it is a spur of the moment - we want lido or pizza, then no worries - a no show is fine.

If it is like the US sailings, you will need to link your reservations and then you should receive a table/seating together. I would strongly suggest you get EARLY fixed dining with the little one. It could be a challenge to get a table for a large group with YTD.

If you miss, or only part of your group shows with fixed dining, you will still be at your same table - but that is not an issue. If we know we will not be there because we are eating in the Steakhouse, for example, we let the staff know the night before. But if it is a spur of the moment - we want lido or pizza, then no worries - a no show is fine.

Thanks for the advice A&J

Congrats on booking your first cruise! There is definitely a table big enough for all of you. If you do not go to the MDR, you do not have to inform them. There is likely to be a VERY long wait for a table of this size if you do not have a set seating time of either main or late dining. In that case it is reserved for you every night. It is very flexible, and half can eat somewhere if they want, or you can all eat together every night. There is no requirement to stick to whatever seating you are at.

I see you have some little ones in your party. Here's an article we just wrote that hopefully helps some, and below I included some stuff from a draft we are making for a sequel article that could apply to your situation. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

http://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/12/5-tips-for-cruising-with-kids

Stash Snacks in Your Room

Snacks will be your new best friend. Whenever you see a box of cereal, an apple, or a bag of chips, grab them so you always have snacks for hungry little ones. Some of these snacks can even be packed in your bag to take on excursions. Just beware that some countries do not allow produce to be brought off the ship into their country. This can be helpful on longer tours with your kids.

We went to Iceland when our son was 3. We took a long bus tour, and I swear Zack went through 5 boxes of cereal. It helped him stay calm and occupied him while the tour guide (who's name is Thor, I kid you not) spoke. Zack didn't bother any other passengers and the snacks made it a very pleasant tour for all involved.

Know Your Dining Options

Everyone knows that there is lots of food available on cruise ships! There are all different types of dining experiences from formal seating to poolside grills. Knowing what your food options are can help you make the most informed choice about what and where to eat. It can make a huge difference both on how stressful meal time is and as well as the timing of meals. Knowing where the fastest place on the ship is to grab a meal is will come in handy when you have a tour to meet.

Researching kids dining options will be helpful too! Some kids programs serve meals, or have services where they will meet you in the dining room so adults can finish their meal. Whatever type of meal you want, knowing your options will help you have a good cruise.

Congrats on booking your first cruise! There is definitely a table big enough for all of you. If you do not go to the MDR, you do not have to inform them. There is likely to be a VERY long wait for a table of this size if you do not have a set seating time of either main or late dining. In that case it is reserved for you every night. It is very flexible, and half can eat somewhere if they want, or you can all eat together every night. There is no requirement to stick to whatever seating you are at.

I see you have some little ones in your party. Here's an article we just wrote that hopefully helps some, and below I included some stuff from a draft we are making for a sequel article that could apply to your situation. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

http://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/12/5-tips-for-cruising-with-kids

Stash Snacks in Your Room

Snacks will be your new best friend. Whenever you see a box of cereal, an apple, or a bag of chips, grab them so you always have snacks for hungry little ones. Some of these snacks can even be packed in your bag to take on excursions. Just beware that some countries do not allow produce to be brought off the ship into their country. This can be helpful on longer tours with your kids.

We went to Iceland when our son was 3. We took a long bus tour, and I swear Zack went through 5 boxes of cereal. It helped him stay calm and occupied him while the tour guide (who's name is Thor, I kid you not) spoke. Zack didn't bother any other passengers and the snacks made it a very pleasant tour for all involved.

Know Your Dining Options

Everyone knows that there is lots of food available on cruise ships! There are all different types of dining experiences from formal seating to poolside grills. Knowing what your food options are can help you make the most informed choice about what and where to eat. It can make a huge difference both on how stressful meal time is and as well as the timing of meals. Knowing where the fastest place on the ship is to grab a meal is will come in handy when you have a tour to meet.

Researching kids dining options will be helpful too! Some kids programs serve meals, or have services where they will meet you in the dining room so adults can finish their meal. Whatever type of meal you want, knowing your options will help you have a good cruise.

Thanks Kendall :)

I love the blog :)