Passing other cruise ships at sea

JaiJae

I would love to see and take pics of other cruise ships while at sea. I’ve been on 3 cruises and I’ve never seen other ships. Is there a way to find out when and where other cruise ships will be at sea when we sail?

Jae[emoji624]

When I was on the Horizon this past August heading back to NYC on a sea day, we passed the Vista heading south. Couldn't have been more than a mile apart, it was pretty cool. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone on me so I don't have any pics to share.

Travel out of New Orleans and you will pass within approximately150-200 feet of each other on Mississippi river. We were on the Dream returning and passed by the Triumph departing. It was about midnight and we had just entered the Mississippi. Both ships were lit up. Quite a sight.

I've seen other cruise ships at sea a few times during my cruises. Here are a couple shots from our most recent Alaskan cruise. Both of these shots are not zoomed in so you can get an idea of the distance between our ship and theirs. On both of these, I was standing at the rail on our aft-wrap balcony (you can see the railing in both photos).

30766617078_aa89a5427d_b.jpg

This is a Princess cruise ship that we passed on our starboard side during our last sea day. We were heading back to Seattle and they were heading up into the Inner Passage of Alaska.

42826654200_3ed6b858d3_b.jpg

Here's Carnival Splendor passing us on the port side as we both sailed inside Glacier Bay in Alaska. This was the closest that I have ever seen two cruise ships pass each other, however we were both going very slow and the bay is fairly narrow.

Travel out of New Orleans and you will pass within approximately150-200 feet of each other on Mississippi river. We were on the Dream returning and passed by the Triumph departing. It was about midnight and we had just entered the Mississippi. Both ships were lit up. Quite a sight.

Wow..That’s good to know! Thanks! I just have to figure out what ship to sail since the Dream is coming to Galveston

Jae[emoji624]

I've seen other cruise ships at sea a few times during my cruises. Here are a couple shots from our most recent Alaskan cruise. Both of these shots are not zoomed in so you can get an idea of the distance between our ship and theirs. On both of these, I was standing at the rail on our aft-wrap balcony (you can see the railing in both photos).

30766617078_aa89a5427d_b.jpg

This is a Princess cruise ship that we passed on our starboard side during our last sea day. We were heading back to Seattle and they were heading up into the Inner Passage of Alaska.

42826654200_3ed6b858d3_b.jpg

Here's Carnival Splendor passing us on the port side as we both sailed inside Glacier Bay in Alaska. This was the closest that I have ever seen two cruise ships pass each other, however we were both going very slow and the bay is fairly narrow.

Nice pics! Did they announce it on the ship that there were other ships passing?

Jae[emoji624]

We, too, have seen many ships. Some on sea days you can see them on the horizon (and closer) on the open seas, but mostly at night (all lit up) when going in circles after leaving one Caribbean island and sailing to another that is close by. We have seen as many as 3 other ships at night from our balcony. It is a neat sight!!

Nice pics! Did they announce it on the ship that there were other ships passing?

Jae[emoji624]

The captain did announce that the Splendor was passing us in Glacier Bay but did not announce the Princess ship passing us. I just happened to be out on the balcony when it passed us. Like many others have said, it is very easy to spot other cruise ships at night by their lights.

Sailing from Galveston on a Thursday on the Valor you are likely to see the freedom coming in around 1130-100 on that friday. heading back in on Sunday you could see the freedom heading back out. The captain rarely announces this, but has a couple of times.

Leaving on the freedom on Saturday, I have seen the breeze coming in for Sunday. don't remember around what time but it was late and dark...