CHEERS REVIEW – Fascination 9/2 – 9/9

cruisin 07

First, I would like to thank the poster that originally posted the Cheers Evaluator. I made a few changes to suit my needs.

I took out sea days since there weren’t any. Made a column with the 15 % gratuity added to more accurately reflect cost my cost. Added a section on top that counted only alcoholic drinks. From here we decided Cheers would work for us. My first day total was $121 which include water, cokes, etc. DW was always a lot less. No flames please. To each their own. 15 oz’s of alcohol isn’t even equal a bottle of water over a 24-hour period. Between the 2 of us it was a lot cheaper to have Cheers.

The cost for Cheers was greatly reduced since we used AARP gift cards to pay for everything and saved $330. Thanks to Cruise Critic members for this info. We both took our Yeti’s which the bar tenders would rinse out if we desired before refilling with a new drink. My DW loved it since on frozen drinks they always have extra when filling the standard size glass,but she would get it all.

I’m a heavy drinker and DW will usually only have 4 drinks a day, sometimes 5. Two frozen in afternoon and 2 glasses of wine with dinner always.

Observations: No particular order.

1. The pours are 1 oz. Most bars in the states give you 1 ¼ oz per pour. So, I would only fill my Yeti up half way for mixed drinks. Bartenders would give me the mixers if I asked, so I could fill my Yeti to my desire level.

2. I could order an alcoholic drink with a soda or water but not both a soda and water at the same time with an alcoholic drink.

3. With Cheers if you get a can of soda or beer you will received it open.

4. When you get to 13 drinks the bartenders will notify you.

5. On the second dining night and each night there after everyone on Cheers will receive altr of water.

6. Our S&S card where only presented the first and second night in the dining room.

7. We were charged for a bottle of wine ($32) at the dining room which we didn’t order. So, check you S&S card often. It was credited back. They did check with our servers to verify.

8. On the 3rd night and every night there after are drinks of chose were waiting for us at the table. Waiters were very good about asking us if we wanted are fill. Very quick. Remember dinner last at least 1 ½ hours.

9. Since we sailed out of San Juan sales tax was added to every drink both alcoholic and nonalcoholic until we reached the next port. Wasn’t that much.

10. We only ordered top shelf liquor for our drinks.

11 I would always go the Lido bar (open at 7) and get 2 shots (remember 5 mins between drinks and it is enforced)to take back to my room to mix a drink while cleaning up after excursions.

12. Both I and DW would tip extra to the bartenders per mixed drinks ($1), not shots. Dining room staff got their tips at the end of the cruise. They really appreciated the extra tips and us remembering their names. After all they remembered ours. It was fascinating learning about their country and living conditions both at home and on the ship. Most all the bartenders we associated with had been with Carnival for over 12 years and some over 20years. Their contracts are for 6 months with 2 months at home before returning.Some because of the cost of airfare to their home worked 7 months. The last month for paying their airfare home.

13. I would let the bartenders know I wanted my second drink as soon as 5 mins past.Especially after an excursion. They always let me know. If not ready for another drink I would take a shot to add later to a drink.

14. We always had water to take on excursions form the ship because almost every bar we got a bottle of water.

The above are what the Carnival guideline states, you experience might

be different.

Edited by cruisin 07
  • Like 1

Thanks for your review!

Two questions please:

1-when you order a glass of wine at dinner is it a nice pour?

2- do they ever just leave the bottle for you, to save themselves a trip? When we sail Celebrity they do this often, but there isn’t a limit on drinks either.

3-( okay one more question) did they ever forget about you at dinner for drinks? Glasses go empty?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I only did one excursion that wasn't diving. Did have 1 beer on ST Maartan. So picked up and dropped off at ship. DW waited to get back on ship.

1-when you order a glass of wine at dinner is it a nice pour? Wine was brought in a small decanter.

2- do they ever just leave the bottle for you, to save themselves a trip? When we sail Celebrity they do this often, but there isn’t a limit on drinks either. Never left the bottle.

3-( okay one more question) did they ever forget about you at dinner for drinks? Glasses go empty? Our waiter was always on the spot asking throughout dinner if we wanted another drink. Our drinks were always waiting for us on the table when we arrived,

First, I would like to thank the poster that originally posted the Cheers Evaluator. I made a few changes to suit my needs.

I took out sea days since there weren’t any. Made a column with the 15 % gratuity added to more accurately reflect cost my cost. Added a section on top that counted only alcoholic drinks. From here we decided Cheers would work for us. My first day total was $121 which include water, cokes, etc. DW was always a lot less. No flames please. To each their own. 15 oz’s of alcohol isn’t even equal a bottle of water over a 24-hour period. Between the 2 of us it was a lot cheaper to have Cheers.

The cost for Cheers was greatly reduced since we used AARP gift cards to pay for everything and saved $330. Thanks to Cruise Critic members for this info. We both took our Yeti’s which the bar tenders would rinse out if we desired before refilling with a new drink. My DW loved it since on frozen drinks they always have extra when filling the standard size glass,but she would get it all.

I’m a heavy drinker and DW will usually only have 4 drinks a day, sometimes 5. Two frozen in afternoon and 2 glasses of wine with dinner always.

Observations: No particular order.

1. The pours are 1 oz. Most bars in the states give you 1 ¼ oz per pour. So, I would only fill my Yeti up half way for mixed drinks. Bartenders would give me the mixers if I asked, so I could fill my Yeti to my desire level.

2. I could order an alcoholic drink with a soda or water but not both a soda and water at the same time with an alcoholic drink.

3. With Cheers if you get a can of soda or beer you will received it open.

4. When you get to 13 drinks the bartenders will notify you.

5. On the second dining night and each night there after everyone on Cheers will receive altr of water.

6. Our S&S card where only presented the first and second night in the dining room.

7. We were charged for a bottle of wine ($32) at the dining room which we didn’t order. So, check you S&S card often. It was credited back. They did check with our servers to verify.

8. On the 3rd night and every night there after are drinks of chose were waiting for us at the table. Waiters were very good about asking us if we wanted are fill. Very quick. Remember dinner last at least 1 ½ hours.

9. Since we sailed out of San Juan sales tax was added to every drink both alcoholic and nonalcoholic until we reached the next port. Wasn’t that much.

10. We only ordered top shelf liquor for our drinks.

11 I would always go the Lido bar (open at 7) and get 2 shots (remember 5 mins between drinks and it is enforced)to take back to my room to mix a drink while cleaning up after excursions.

12. Both I and DW would tip extra to the bartenders per mixed drinks ($1), not shots. Dining room staff got their tips at the end of the cruise. They really appreciated the extra tips and us remembering their names. After all they remembered ours. It was fascinating learning about their country and living conditions both at home and on the ship. Most all the bartenders we associated with had been with Carnival for over 12 years and some over 20years. Their contracts are for 6 months with 2 months at home before returning.Some because of the cost of airfare to their home worked 7 months. The last month for paying their airfare home.

13. I would let the bartenders know I wanted my second drink as soon as 5 mins past.Especially after an excursion. They always let me know. If not ready for another drink I would take a shot to add later to a drink.

14. We always had water to take on excursions form the ship because almost every bar we got a bottle of water.

The above are what the Carnival guideline states, you experience might

be different.

Nice review. I am not a drinker, but your details will certainly help others in evaluating and using the Cheers program!!

• Like 1

This is great info and glad it worked for you! Our cruise is so port-intensive, we decided not to do cheers as we only have one sea day and plan to spend plenty of time exploring the islands the other 6 days! I will have to see how it goes and how much we spend on drinks! Thanks again!

Great review/information, I really enjoyed it.

Did I read correctly, that you could get top-shelf liquors in your drinks?

So like I could order a Cosmopolitan (I think normally $10.50 or something) and request Grey Goose (keeping in mind the now current $20/drink limit)?

I figure martinis are about the only drinks that they don't do just the one 1oz shot (my pina coladas at home have two 1.5 oz shot glasses of Bacardi in them--LOL)

Can you please share the Cheers evaluator again ?

Sure. Here are two I've saved from this board. I like the one that isn't Vista the best but to each their own. Big thanks to all the people who started and edited. I just saved it - because I SAVE EVERYTHING! LOL!

Carnival Beverage Package Evaluator (2).xls

Carnival Vista Cheers Evaluator 2018-08-02.xls

• 4 weeks later...