Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Were the women in fishnets wearing fishnet stockings or fishnet vests?? ( I enjoy visual imagery)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishnet vests:) - now i have an image of madonna from 80's videos - 'like a virgin' etc and all the skimpy lace tops....

Were the women in fishnets wearing fishnet stockings or fishnet vests?? ( I enjoy visual imagery)

And considering the state of Venezuela’s economy, I wonder how anyone is selling any insurance at all down there, so maybe they were on a tight budget :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catlover, this was some years ago. A god awful cruise by all accounts on the Serenity. The women let us say were of larger proportions and were wearing cover up dresses made of fishnet, they were certainly a sight for sore eyes! Hence my tongue in cheek comment about SB going off the rails in the dress code dept with the lycra daywear comment! :');)

I see these spirited debates on dress code and it makes me groan - for those on both ends of the spectrum.

There are clearly those, typically first time Seabourn guests, who for some reason make it a mission to propose things should be more casual and they promote their agenda as such. Even trying to suggest after their first voyage that they were just fine being super casual even though I am sure many of the other guests did not feel the same. And then there are also those on the other end of the spectrum promoting more formality that want to remember the good old days where it was more formal even on non-formal evenings. These types roll their eyes and make nasty comments to others whose attire they don't appreciate. Just the thought of leaving the tuxedo at home or possibly not even wearing a tie on formal night is sacrilege. In my opinion neither end of the spectrum is accurate and probably not respectful of the rest of the crowd.

I have nowhere near the days at Sea of many of you but we've been cruising with Seabourn for 15 years and I have noticed it get slightly more casual over that time period as has the world in general. HOWEVER, in general the clientele and the Seabourn staff continue to promote the elegant casual vibe. The expectation is that people are on a luxury trip and that dressing in a classy and respectable way makes the entire experience more enjoyable for all. Seabourn markets itself as being a luxurious worldly culture which is more active and relaxed than a couple of other luxury cruise lines. It is not stuffy and tuxedos or suit and tie is not “required” attire every evening but it is expected that people will dress nicely and be respectful of their fellow guests and the environment the ship is trying to promote.

The boarding documents are actually pretty straightforward.

Day:

In a nutshell it says swimsuits and exercise attire during the day should be reserved for on deck or in the fitness center. Resort style attire including jeans and shorts are fair game anywhere during the day.

Evenings: (This is for the Restaurant but it sort of carries the vibe throughout the ship.)

Elegant Casual - collared dress shirt or sweater (it does say dress shirt for those that argue); jacket is optional. No Jeans in the Restaurant after 6pm

Formal – Tuxedo, a suit or slacks with a jacket required.

Ladies – match similar to what goes with above for men. Blouse, dress, pant suit, etc. More elegant on formal nights.

I wrote something similar to the below not long ago on this thread and then intended to stay out of this discussion but some of the recent posts I think are misleading so I will add some more color. On my first cruise with Seabourn I was in my later 20’s and I packed my tuxedo as well as a suit and sport coat and was pleased to wear all of them - and I probably had two suitcases with me as well ugh. Of course in my late 20’s this was not my normal holiday attire but I was on a special vacation and I was more than happy to dive headfirst into the experience and it was great. Participating in the experience as intended, and instructed by the documents, made it more enjoyable for us and for everyone else. Obviously we enjoyed ourselves because we keep Seabourn in our vacation rotation. Not every year but we keep coming back and for us it has always been the Mediterranean – both Eastern routes and Western routes so it has always been during the warmer months. With that said, the environment has gotten more casual with the 450 and now 600 passenger ships but it is still an elegant environment and that should be respected in my opinion. I try to pack lighter now but in my experience the majority of men tend to wear a jacket most evenings. It may not be a requirement but most people do because they want to and because they respect the others and want to uphold the feel of refined luxury and a special occasion. The second and a smaller group wear the same thing but just without the jacket – nice slacks and a long sleeve, dressy button down shirt. Either option can be sporty and worn with loafers but still a casual elegance look. Then there may be very few in the minority that choose not to do either and do simply what they want and wear a tropical silk shirt or a nice polo tucked into their slacks. That last group is wearing a normal country club type outfit that would be perfectly fine in most settings yet they are in the minority in this setting. They do probably get some eye rolls or groans whether warranted or not but I am sure it happens.

So if you want to push the boundaries and say that the rules just say collared shirt then I suppose you can do that if you like - although it does clearly state "collared dress shirt". Just be mindful that you will be in the minority. You aren’t going to blow up the party or sink the ship but you aren’t really adding to the experience to be fair - and for some people you are detracting. Do what you want but I think you and everyone else onboard would but happier if you just packed some nice button down shirts and brought along a sport coat or blazer. That's easy to do and still sporty and comfortable.

At the end of the day, I think those that want things to be more formal all the time and wish for the days of the old Legend, etc may need to lighten up or start to look for another line. And for those that are trying to push the boundaries and just get by with whatever they want should probably stick with one of the more mainstream lines such as Norwegian or whatever (I am guessing here as we haven't been with them). Otherwise be nice, respect the decorum, find a happy medium and stay classy San Diego.

Well said!

scb71,

The most important line in your post referred to most passengers on Seabourn knowing how to dress appropriately no matter what the code says. I agree wholeheartedly with this which is why these endless threads mean absolutely nothing expect to those who keep posting here. I admit I post more than I should as well but when I read how others want people to conform to what they think is appropriate I feel compelled to strike a blow for those who prefer to dress as they see fit, as long as they keep to some variation of the code.

I agree with nearly all of what Scb71 said, I'm just offering my experience of a recent cruise because most people want to know what the reality of the situation is - would this be a 50 page thread if the dress code was 100% clear and enforced? No.

I had severe packing constraints and wanted to know if I would feel out of place in less than a full traditional collared dress shirt for casual nights in the MDR. And while yes it was a minority in the MDR, it was a pretty significant minority and I could not detect any scorn.

Apologies to those who were offended but seemingly able to hide it well, or for "disrespecting the atmosphere/experience" - that said, you should be blaming the MaitreD and staff for allowing such transgressions to sully the enjoyment of others! If there was clarity and enforcement we could close this trainwreck thread...

scb71,

The most important line in your post referred to most passengers on Seabourn knowing how to dress appropriately no matter what the code says. I agree wholeheartedly with this which is why these endless threads mean absolutely nothing expect to those who keep posting here. I admit I post more than I should as well but when I read how others want people to conform to what they think is appropriate I feel compelled to strike a blow for those who prefer to dress as they see fit, as long as they keep to some variation of the code.

Indeed. One thing cruising has to commend it as a form of travel is the ability to engage and potentially make friends with people from a cross section of nationalities and cultures. Assuming passengers dress 'elegant casual' as appropriate for their culture/background, IMO it enhances the experience to meet people as they actually are and as they feel comfortable being, not as some stuffed up expectation/reflection of how someone else thinks they should be.

We are a couple in our mid-fifties who just returned from our first Seabourn cruise. Before leaving, this thread had us rethinking our choice of Seabourn. We are professionals who are active in our community and know the importance of dressing appropriately for the situation. However, when we are on vacation, especially a cruise on the Adriatic where temperatures are expected to be in the 90's every day, we also like to be comfortable. I can say that we were fine! My husband brought 2 jackets, which he wore in the MDR and the Grill. One night we wanted to try the Patio (the outdoor dining venue by the pool) so we asked in the Square if shorts would be alright, we were told yes. There were several other people wearing shorts and enjoying the beautiful views and ambiance. On our first night in the MDR we saw one woman enter in shorts and quickly leave - not sure if she felt uncomfortable or was asked to leave. I think Seabourn needs to clarify their material. It specifically says, no jeans after 6pm in public areas. We found that many were wearing shorts or jeans in the outdoor bars, the card room, the Patio, the Observation Bar and even in the Grand Salon the night we watched the World Cup. So changing the wording to the dining areas where "elegant casual" is required rather than stating "public areas" would be more accurate.

Welp, some probable vagrant stowaway gained access to the Sojourn MDR last night wearing a non-collared T-shirt and a collared windbreaker type jacket. Nobody fainted.

... No it wasn't me.

Was it late? Maybe the dress code mullahs were sleeping. Enjoy your cruise!

Just a little addition. I normally avoid the formal nights but on the last S.America cruise actually packed a jacket. I believe the colour could be described as 'oat'. For me it's some sort of creamy colour. Anyway, I was probably the only one not in a dark jacket when I rolled up on formal night. I did add a blue dress shirt and a tie (and slacks). No comments or rolling eyes that I noticed. Before you ask, I didn't do this as some sort of test, to offend anyone or because the code simply says "jacket". I actually felt a bit more formally dressed than some of the guys in dark jackets and no tie, but then I always liked a tie when I wore a dress shirt to the office.

I think the “oat” jacket sounds like an inspired choice.

Wearing something a little bit outre or exaggerated is a simple way of dressing up without needing to get too hung up on the code. A Bright pocket square or a buttioniere in the lapel of your jacket is an easy way of looking more “formal” without having to pack a lot more stuff or worry too much about the finer points of the code.

Style is the key gents. There’s nothing worse than seeing a whole lot of blokes at some occasion all conforming to the dress code by wearing badly cut suits in some ghastly fabric.

Wow, I am floored by the amount of angst, agony, apprehension, anxiety, alarm, agitation, (and that’s only the (A’s) some people are putting into this. I tried to following this from page one and gave up – but I think it’s a matter of – don’t dress like a slob. What’s a slob – well that could be another 50 page thread. I think acceptable dress (the no, no and no), times, areas of ship to be worn or not worn - should be well defined by the cruise line for their various demographics. Outside of that – whatever makes you comfortable? If you don’t look like a slob, are not wearing the “no’s” and your appearance makes ME uncomfortable – too bad for me. I should be looking at my wife anyway - she always looks great.

Some of the self-appointed interpreters of what constitutes proper remind me of Waldo’s mother (meant humorously).

“No No Waldo you’ll disarrange me, I’ll kiss you later. And Your B-flat in the obbligato pianissimo needs more staccato.”

attachment.php?attachmentid=426028&stc=1&d=1533135790

I guess Waldo broke the Seabourn dress code.

attachment.php?attachmentid=426029&stc=1&d=1533135790

Seabourn Fashion Police – Reaction:

attachment.php?attachmentid=426030&stc=1&d=1533135790

Edited by Yankeeclipper1
Typo

On previous. Must have run afoul of copyright. I had miscalculated public domain by 10 years so my attempt at levity on this long thread makes absolutely no sense without the pictures that were removed.

They were from the early 1930's Little Rascal (Our Gang) Washee Ironee and showed Waldo's society mother fainting when he came out to a lunch party to play violin dressed with only a lampshade on. She faints into the butler's arms.

On previous. Must have run afoul of copyright. I had miscalculated public domain by 10 years so my attempt at levity on this long thread makes absolutely no sense without the pictures that were removed.

They were from the early 1930's Little Rascal (Our Gang) Washee Ironee and showed Waldo's society mother fainting when he came out to a lunch party to play violin dressed with only a lampshade on. She faints into the butler's arms.

With or without pictures I completely agree with you. Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much energy devoted to what other people are wearing.

Scenes from the dress code absurd while aboard Sojourn...

Patio dinner 8pm some people in T-shirts, shorts, cargo pants, non-collared tops, etc. Colonnade dinner some ladies wearing flip-flops, casual tops and/or jeans, some men in polos, non-collared shirts, jeans or day wear pants, etc. Even occasional deviancy in the MDR! DW seriously pissed she "way over-thought" wardrobe concerned about being appropriate. Me in dress shirt and slacks SMDH, then LMAO hoping and praying some upturned nose's meal is ruined.

Moral of the story: Do whatever you feel is comfortable and appropriate, and worry not what anyone else thinks.

I also amused by this thread. Just off of the Ovation a month ago and can agree with Robisan. I saw all sorts of interpretations of the dress code. Some women were very dressed up (and looked truly lovely) while others were almost shockingly casual--all in the same venue! I think a lot of this stems from each person's interpretation of the words elegant casual. It all depends on where you live I think--and what you are used to. I'm reminded of a party given by a partner in my husband's law firm years ago. The printed invitation said CASUAL. One young woman lawyer in the firm arrived in blue jeans and was mortified. I heard her talking about it later. She had just finished law school and jeans WERE her interpretation of casual. Others, having lived in Dallas much longer, knew for a fact that in Dallas casual often meant pearls and silk--or anything just short of a cocktail dress. Over the years, I learned to acquire some clothing items that could fit many different definitions. This made it easier for me to pack for our SB voyages.

It's not really dress code, but too trivial to put elsewhere - does anyone else take their towelling slippers home to wear in bedroom/bathroom? I do (I do have fairly big feet), and they wash and wear for ages! Talk about being a cheapskate.

Hmm. Yay or nay ��

Asymmetric-Wrap-Playsuit-C20738-S18_400x800_636686338558138608_C20738-S18-990-1.jpg

Yay on the girl, nay on the plain dress, or what there is of it, with that odd belt, though she meets dress code criteria for MDR at dinner.

But the thing about this girl is no one would really notice her uninspiring dress as they (especially most men) would be too busy looking at her face and her legs.

Yay on the girl, nay on the plain dress, or what there is of it, with that odd belt, though she meets dress code criteria for MDR at dinner.

But the thing about this girl is no one would really notice her uninspiring dress as they (especially most men) would be too busy looking at her face and her legs.

I find the asymmetric detail on the "dress" interesting... but I think the reason it is so short now that I'm looking at it on a monitor and not smartphone is that it is a romper (short jumpsuit) and not a dress.

And not to open up an entirely different line of dress code discussion, but please don't let rompers (or worse, Romphims) become a thing on Seabourn! :eek::eek::eek: