Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

We took only one of the little battery operated candles and I wish we had brought one for each person. My kids shared this for a nightlight and to take to go to the bathroom at night. I found it at the dollar store. Additionally, I found and took a roll of clear duct tape, killing two birds with one stone. We used this tape a few times - once to fix a suitcase, one to attach our tags to luggage for debarkation and once to fix a pair of flip flops that pulled out. I didn't need the whole roll, but I'm really glad I had it. These items were both handy.

ALoW7fhZpqkznTNOf0AiuoX0y_WE_YF5kvFKSfoqG3phjWio7rIkXtTa99ZCjszFmArBjSHf8lfzlNLxYJd1PrgWYQsuXwCw0kkd8s3GnbAXnH89fuOwfjiNMaqU30CnG543NtWpj-8FWuzQgfD8sMaNv9EJ7mr0kFDOcj_bnZH-fLAO2P4Nzbmr0TTVXWDOfYpEDXdClLFtlO3Rt0nry8fQPuEj1A-cHTFGI495gq0pu3QnROQGL3QGwRMU8FwLm8nhUuHULTa9BoTFurZRFrY8TNhbIWKX9x6mr3NFnaZ93Jrh0gcUWQYoXywexLuhOmDmhflnEVoPcExsdpJ9adIdWd9e-ucYb9EBSC0FbZDUbh0KHbcW74ftZE9kVmUUqqHA-eJhWYxWH878Emjt0D5Bhz9W3rJGFKsxH4rLaWaAexIQOF06YGsVp65xC7cHAwejAA3XgNvXN4Wd5RQzRuQ78Rg6uE2L3AISVFELLQ6YsWFoHb0_pIlyFUHbIF2CWpaQ2eS9JJrjN4ZmHybhkpAHfU-eapKHB5czE-FqKD8XZhP8Ka0S_BvQ5BqzFGjGQQDtIcR5y6N-lcSL22J19sulMspWOIu52xBv7r38T5kuac9Dhg9r=w434-h770-no

• Like 1

I bought one of these portable locking cases after reading about it here (please ignore my DH's dirty socks in the background). This was nice to have but not so useful that I would prioritize it over something else. It was fairly lightweight and we stuck stuff inside when we packed, so it wasn't a big deal to bring it. We used it a few times at the pool for phones, kindles, sunglasses, etc. but we aren't the kind of family that grabs chairs and stays at the pool for the whole day, so it was less useful than I anticipated. We will use it for future outings here at home, so I am glad I bought it, I would just weigh the pros/cons of packing it and consider how your family would use it when taking it on a cruise. So that is the last of what I brought; hope it was helpful!

rP9A3Y3lymdgmKdvgW2bCZXnPkxaCoYUnDfO0IgUGFpl2UMVYmTISDnPLzWmnumVwFodxrsH-mD85FZQhO6-9wdy-KUphpDjLennPExI8_edhzSxLLBgdPGA_5VwfNqoo86CulVLTXGecz6vgR1S3FxmPRtKpPdUTzP8kNituFvz9tn0Vdr3RdfYeJteUxtaR7hfGD8kX4K9NdZTfBmI_Owlh7VtrSeA_YVKnjh-yLn-Ja-GatVTbYeilg2JgfnaOh2hdwnoBMFGeFdAmi_Qa13T5Vf6BAN7XfKAFsI8oGPOexRg87TQBjtpdKowjrCFBInjmagQUjILtAvmKXbixrSWETbmV1vZdghc4jCe65F4WW1rnH5Dk5o8plMYd-UWsVpfh0dsY0bRToLBjWX8AJUKNQWF8p3k1UR14q1ZWnslcvMn3TD-ptBDtGac24J35CZtRjynyxxKPFqVLETjv8Yi_zFbuNQxa1V8YxEVU7ILqqwQd_mvhSAMGOarAcO0eTttlI_xjuXEj3tHKlsTbyO0w0DeWOXOmgrARaKLBwevmXZu5a0ivHL61_IxE5TGTEPmyz0dbC1mlxMmrMwwMkCMgezbjvJnjDPJDG4MtECAPzaTCa12=w434-h770-no

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the best thing I picked up for our Alaskan cruise was a Gear Beast Lanyard for my phone. It has a pocket in the back for ship card. I put the phone upside down in lanyard so when I lift to take pix it\'s right side up. Depending on your phone (mine is HTC10) you may need to move the back strap for camera to work but I was able to adjust it so camera was clear. It was great, camera was always available without searching in pockets, very easy to take quick picture, and I had no fear of dropping it in the rainy weather. I saw suggestion from another traveler here and I was so glad I did.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I bought one of these portable locking cases after reading about it here (please ignore my DH's dirty socks in the background). This was nice to have but not so useful that I would prioritize it over something else. It was fairly lightweight and we stuck stuff inside when we packed, so it wasn't a big deal to bring it. We used it a few times at the pool for phones, kindles, sunglasses, etc. but we aren't the kind of family that grabs chairs and stays at the pool for the whole day, so it was less useful than I anticipated. We will use it for future outings here at home, so I am glad I bought it, I would just weigh the pros/cons of packing it and consider how your family would use it when taking it on a cruise. So that is the last of what I brought; hope it was helpful!

rP9A3Y3lymdgmKdvgW2bCZXnPkxaCoYUnDfO0IgUGFpl2UMVYmTISDnPLzWmnumVwFodxrsH-mD85FZQhO6-9wdy-KUphpDjLennPExI8_edhzSxLLBgdPGA_5VwfNqoo86CulVLTXGecz6vgR1S3FxmPRtKpPdUTzP8kNituFvz9tn0Vdr3RdfYeJteUxtaR7hfGD8kX4K9NdZTfBmI_Owlh7VtrSeA_YVKnjh-yLn-Ja-GatVTbYeilg2JgfnaOh2hdwnoBMFGeFdAmi_Qa13T5Vf6BAN7XfKAFsI8oGPOexRg87TQBjtpdKowjrCFBInjmagQUjILtAvmKXbixrSWETbmV1vZdghc4jCe65F4WW1rnH5Dk5o8plMYd-UWsVpfh0dsY0bRToLBjWX8AJUKNQWF8p3k1UR14q1ZWnslcvMn3TD-ptBDtGac24J35CZtRjynyxxKPFqVLETjv8Yi_zFbuNQxa1V8YxEVU7ILqqwQd_mvhSAMGOarAcO0eTttlI_xjuXEj3tHKlsTbyO0w0DeWOXOmgrARaKLBwevmXZu5a0ivHL61_IxE5TGTEPmyz0dbC1mlxMmrMwwMkCMgezbjvJnjDPJDG4MtECAPzaTCa12=w434-h770-no

We found waterproof bags at the sporting goods store that when getting off the boat for excursions we can pop in phone, sea pass, money, copy of passport. This hangs around the neck so everyone can go in the water and no one gets stuck 'watching the stuff'.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe I have been watching too many episodes of "Love Boat" in the past. I thought I must look classy to enjoy a cruise ship, so I felt a little embarrassed bringing my own water bottle up and down the the decks to refill during my first trip.

Thank you all for all the survival tips.....I don't feel like a cheapskate anymore for bringing my vacuum flask on my second trip.

I have to bring my octogenarian folks on cruise ships and they always have problem identifying their own cabin. I didn't know we can our 'decorate' cabin door...i will do so in our next trip. Ribbons for the luggage and the cabin doors+lanyards for luggage tags and cruise cards. With octogenarians, I do bring along a hot/cold pack(kept in the fridge) and a first aid toiletries bag with their daily medications in case their engines break down.

Emergency: On my third cruise, I decide to pack a day trip bag.

In it, a maglite torch (as suggested in this thread),first aid toiletries bag (also suggested in this thread), cell phone, a power bank, photocopies of my travelling documents in ziplock bag (also suggested in this thread), money and everyone's cruise cards in ziplock bag, and a warm shawl. Deep into the night, I had banging on my door to "clear deck"...temporary evacuation to the muster station.I pulled my folks and grabbed my day trip bag and followed the rest (everyone in our pj) to the muster station. That wasn't a drill. On hindsight, I realized i have taken the right advice from you.

Thank you so much for the tips.

Here's my contribution: if you don't have a plastic bag, ask the steward for a shower cap to wrap your beach slippers or shoes, keep a bar of soap or keep your toothbrush dry.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never see anyone bring this up so I will. :D

I'm a coffee lover and have to have some first thing in the morning. On the last day of the cruise there is NO room service for coffee. :eek: That's why I always pick up a pack of Starbucks mini's. Either from home, or if you're going somewhere that sells them, pick them up there. They have saved my sanity many times.

• 3 weeks later...
Really curious how they attached the clothesline.[/

Aren’t all the walls metal? I’ve used magnets to hold notes before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not always. Have been on a few ships recently where stateroom walls are either some other material or wallpapered, preventing magnets from holding... a shame as this was such a great technique. Bring your magnets but have a backup plan.

• 1 month later...

Best thing I brought for first cruise was 1-2 shoulder bags for carrying things around on the ship (reusable water bottle, hat on/off etc.).

With a roommate we liked having a dry erase board to write messages to each other (instead of texting etc.)

Closepins of different colors can be used to mark whose towel is whose with roommates, etc.

We like the "pop-up" hampers & nightlights, as mentioned already, especially when traveling with children.

Also love the candy idea!!

• 1 month later...
I never see anyone bring this up so I will. :D

I'm a coffee lover and have to have some first thing in the morning. On the last day of the cruise there is NO room service for coffee. :eek: That's why I always pick up a pack of Starbucks mini's. Either from home, or if you're going somewhere that sells them, pick them up there. They have saved my sanity many times.[/quote

Some cruise lines DO have room service the last day - at least Holland America does. So you can get coffee delivered on the last morning (and breakfast too) if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised numerous times before but are gearing up for a 10 person cruise that includes both sets of parents, After perusing the suggestions, I will be getting the following things to add to the packing list: Clorox/Lysol wipes for first day cleaning of surfaces, lint roller (dispose at end of trip), some sort of min-desktop plug in fan so I can have some noise and air movement at night, a Febreze Plug In's night light for bathroom (double duty!), binder clips for hanging up wet swimsuits, travel size downy wrinkle release, quart and gallon ziplocks ( we used these many times on previous trips). I will also do a modest decoration for my parents 50th anniversary on the door so they can find their room easily. Now about the power strip... I have seen people saying you are not allowed to bring these anymore. Are the smaller ones acceptable still or is it NO power strip type units anymore? I could bring an extension cord that has 3 plugs on it, if needed. Anyone been on a recent RCCL cruise know if they were able to bring a multi-outlet power source? I also plan to bring carryon bottled water and a 12 pk Diet Mt Dew, will just slap 2 luggage tags on them and hope they make it to the room.

Thanks!

I have seen people saying you are not allowed to bring these anymore. Are the smaller ones acceptable still or is it NO power strip type units anymore? I could bring an extension cord that has 3 plugs on it, if needed. Anyone been on a recent RCCL cruise know if they were able to bring a multi-outlet power source?

Thanks!

You should be fine as long as the power strip is not one with surge protection. These are not allowed on board due to the ships wiring being different than that on land. There are a few threads in regards to this on the RCCL board.

Keeping in line with this thread a couple of little things that might be kind of fun. First would be a small pair of binoculars for spotting other ships while at sea or for watching the pier runners. Another idea is a small portable FM radio for listening to the local radio stations in port.

Cruise On :cool:

• 8 months later...
On 7/13/2006 at 3:22 PM, 98Charlie said:

No problem. You're not taking my idea but taking it to the next step.:)

When I pass out my candy I always tell them ``thank you'' in person and sometimes I'm out on deck around the pool with a chocolate candy ready for the first drink steward that comes my way.

Words can not describe the smiles we receive for the ``unexpected'' chocolate tip.

Word of warning, don't store the chocolate in your pocket aboard ship unless you know you will be delivering it within the next few minute. Been there, done that. Have the shorts to prove it.:D

Dianne

Great idea. I used candy canes once in the winter. Big smiles, not quite as messy. 

I always pack a length of paracord, which I can tie into a bottle sling or use as a heavier clothesline or loop to make cascading hangars in crowded closet. About three yards is a good length. $1.25 from Walmart. I also pack a tiny "put and take" spinning top, which makes a fun game while waiting for food or flights, etc. I'm a new cruiser but long camper and traveler. My best find: mesh striped zippered bags in bright multi colors which are $8 for six on amazon. I have several sets. The big ones are perfect for "packing cubes," small ones for toiletries. They weigh almost nothing and have hang tags. I use them in my purse and luggage. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I brought post it pad and affix them with a magnet near the switches to tell my folks where the bathroom switch and bedside switch are, and in which clock direction does the bathroom door lock, "who- is- in -which room".

One thing I want to ask....can I bring toy walkie-talkies? 400m distance is sufficient for me to find my folks.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s half the fun of cruising; all that planning, & all that daydreaming!!  😂😂😂

On 12/15/2016 at 4:24 PM, jc3443 said:

Wow...Just reading through all of this stuff makes me tired! I'm more a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants guy. I figure if I make it on board the ship with surf trunks, flips flops and a credit card I will still have a great time! In fact, as long as I have the credit card I can track down everything else I need pretty easily, although a few people might object to me wandering naked down the decks with my credit card in hand! :eek:

More power to you all for your extensive thought on all these things!

JC

• 3 months later...

I don’t know if this has been mentioned.  I bring liquid hand soap.  I hate the bar soap.  I tape it shut and put in a ziplock and leave the leftover at the end of the cruise.

To personalize our room I bring a small 4x6 clear plastic frame with a pic of our family.  It has a magnet on the back and goes on the wall.  (Walmart)

i bring lots of foldable boxes for keeping clutter in.  We fly southwest so I don’t worry much about what I bring. ( Dollar tree, Amazon ) I use one under the sink in the bathroom,  one for snacks, one for all those ziplocks I bring along, one for excursion stuff like umbrellas and disposable rain coats.  We go enough on Royal that I put pretty much everything in the same place each time and DH knows where to find everything he needs. I have a five pocket mesh holder that I put on the wall with a strong magnet and that’s for sunglasses,  excursion tickets,  invites and pens. I use a shoe holder that hangs on the closet bar for shoes ( nice cloth one ) and a pop up laundry hamper from dollar tree on the closet floor. I have strong magnets to hold our hats on the wall.

As a disclaimer we don’t cruise above the balcony category.  For suites you wouldn’t need a lot of the things we bring.  We’ve had a few Jr. suites with Royal and with the walk in closets and extra storage you don’t need as many of the organizational tools above.  We do use these in balcony and ocean view cabins however where there is much less space.  

I also must must say that Royal does a great job with storage space in their cabins compared to just about every other cruise line.  I do love Princess open closet space but Celebrity is a bit lacking as well as other lines that cost even more.  Viking has 3 drawers total. What?  We did a recent Viking River Cruise and while everything fit it in the cabin for 2 weeks, the clothes were just stacked high in piles on shelves which made it difficult to stay organized.

When we cruise 5 nights or less I don’t bring as many room things along but most of our cruises are 10-14 nights.

If you’re not a suite traveler I suggest you google your cabin type on your ship to get an idea before you go how small/big your cabin will be and what kind of storage you’ll have to help you prepare.  

• Like 1