Hydro pool

a.madruga

I like it because it's out of the fray of other activity. quiet and relaxing. The bubble pool and water jets feel great. the package includes access to the steam saunas and thermal suite, which includes ceramic heated chaise-like chairs. Also the locker rooms and showers are well appointed. sometimes I will shower down there instead of the room if the spouse is in there. they're open later hours (not sure how late) so it's nice to relax at the end of the day. to me, it's worth it and I buy it every cruise.

Bruce

on the NA in two weeks, is hydro pool worth the weekly rate ....

I think it is on the larger ships, like the Nieuw Amsterdam, and the Vista ships. Not so on the smaller ships, where the 'hydro pool' is merely a glorified hot tub.

Hi Ruth - is the Oosterdam a Vista Class ship?

The Vista class ships are those with the four directions: Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam. They have very nice hydro pools.

The Signature class ships, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, also have the nice size hydro pools.

It's the smaller ships: Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam, and Volendam that don't have the hydro pools. They have a hot tub, which you can get for free by the pool. They do have the heated ceramic loungers, though.

The Prinsendam is lacking in a spa all around.

• 3 weeks later...
I like it because it's out of the fray of other activity. quiet and relaxing. The bubble pool and water jets feel great. the package includes access to the steam saunas and thermal suite, which includes ceramic heated chaise-like chairs. Also the locker rooms and showers are well appointed. sometimes I will shower down there instead of the room if the spouse is in there. they're open later hours (not sure how late) so it's nice to relax at the end of the day. to me, it's worth it and I buy it every cruise.

Bruce

Agreed. We go throughout the day, but we usually also go every night to wind down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Recently did a 38 day trip, San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand. We got the Thermal suite from SF to Sydney, as there were a lot of sea days. It was $500+ for the two of us. We used it quite a bit, but don’t think we would do it again, it is quite expensive. We mainly used the pool and heated loungers. You needed a special keycard for these each time at the spa desk, and you also got a key for the shower locker (you exchange your room key). The showers, however, did not need a key, anyone an use them, but no locker. Here were three or four shower stalls.

DD

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the December 22, 2017 to January 6, 2018 cruise. A 14 day pass for one person was $249 and I think $349 for a couple. I thought it was worth it. I used it every day, sometimes more than once a day. Used it every evening after dinner (I did the early seating). I have a bad back and sometimes get swelling in my feet if I walk a lot. The pool did a lot to relieve that. I am going on the Zaandam in 2019 for the 22-day SA/Antarctica sailing and I read that they have/will have the hydropool. I plan on getting the spa pass again. The warm stone chairs are also great to just sit and watch the scenery.

On board. They will have people offering it at the spa. I would head there first as there are limited spots so it's not too crowded. On the NA they put a sticker on the back of my card. When you go to use the spa, you hand them your card and they'll give you a lockeer key and a card to access the hydropool area.

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the December 22, 2017 to January 6, 2018 cruise. A 14 day pass for one person was $249 and I think $349 for a couple. I thought it was worth it. I used it every day, sometimes more than once a day. Used it every evening after dinner (I did the early seating). I have a bad back and sometimes get swelling in my feet if I walk a lot. The pool did a lot to relieve that. I am going on the Zaandam in 2019 for the 22-day SA/Antarctica sailing and I read that they have/will have the hydropool. I plan on getting the spa pass again. The warm stone chairs are also great to just sit and watch the scenery.

Just be aware that the "hydropool" on Zaandam, as Ruth mentioned, is not the same as the ones on the Vista Class and larger ships. it is just a smallish hot tub, in the same room with the thermal chairs. Also, the view from the thermal chairs is obstructed - there is a public deck right outside the windows - not the same floor to ceiling unobstructed view that you have from the larger ships' thermal suite. Also the locker room areas are not as nice - not even close - in the spas on the smaller ships. On my last cruise on Maasdam I made a point of asking about the "hot tub" in the thermal suite that they were calling the "hydropool", and they confirmed there is nothing special about it (no extra minerals in the water, or anything like that). The thermal suite might still be to your liking on Zaandam... just wanted you to be aware that it's significantly different than the one you experienced on Nieuw Amsterdam.

My DH and I are very interested in this as we will be on an 18-day cruise. My concern is that I suspect there are a lot of 4 and 5 star members on this cruise and that it will sell out before we are able to board and to get to the spa. Any suggestions?

I was able to get it on my first cruise, no mariner stars. I boarded about 12:30pm, dropped my carry on stuff in my cabin, changed clothes and wandered upstairs about an hour and a half later. I was able to sign up without issue. Not sure if it's always like that.

My DH and I are very interested in this as we will be on an 18-day cruise. My concern is that I suspect there are a lot of 4 and 5 star members on this cruise and that it will sell out before we are able to board and to get to the spa. Any suggestions?

I’m not sure why you are thinking the number of four and five star Mariners makes a difference here, but I have never had a problem buying the thermal suite package on embarkation day. If you are concerned, just make your way to the spa as soon as you board and sign up.

If you are in a suite that has Neptune Lounge access you can just have the concierges call the spa for you and reserve your spot. Then the first time you go they will put your spa sticker on your key card (at the spa).

You can call HAL and prebook...a 7 day was $250 for the both of us...good luck....btw daily was $40 a day

I always buy my spa pass before the cruise from ships service, if the price is less on the ship we always get a credit to our on board account. I have been told they only sell so many passes a cruise. I don't know if this is true.

We used to do the same thing, but when it happened a few times that the onboard price was less, we stopped. It just seemed like such a hassle to go through for the refund and rebook (they always have to get the manager, etc).

We’ve been on many HAL cruises and book the Thermal Suite every time. I can say that for probably the last 7 or 8 cruises, we just booked onboard and there has been no issue. We go directly to the spa upon boarding and book.

I’ve always seen the signs up for the first day or so, so I have a hard time believing that it sells out (even though they say they only sell a limited number of cruise-long passes). I know that sometimes it seems crowded in there, but it is my understanding that those who get a spa treatment can use it prior or afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums