Is the sleep space enough?

Ashnal

Hello, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children - 10 and 7) travelling on the Celebrity Constellation Mediterranean cruise in August. We are first time cruisers and I’m concerned that there may not be enough sleeping space in our cabin. We have a balcony room and the description in our booking states that it can accommodate “up to 4 people” but when I look at photos of the room, I am only seeing 1 bed. Am I missing something or is there something else that can be turned into a bed? Should I be contacting Celebrity?

Any help you can share would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children - 10 and 7) travelling on the Celebrity Constellation Mediterranean cruise in August. We are first time cruisers and I’m concerned that there may not be enough sleeping space in our cabin. We have a balcony room and the description in our booking states that it can accommodate “up to 4 people” but when I look at photos of the room, I am only seeing 1 bed. Am I missing something or is there something else that can be turned into a bed? Should I be contacting Celebrity?

There is either a pull out couch or overheads. The overheads will be comfortable if there are two however the couch probably not be very roomy. If you have other questions you might get a better response by posting it on the regular Celebrity board.

If you have other questions you might get a better response by posting it on the regular Celebrity board.

What other board are you referring to, this is the Celebrity board.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Will help if you post your cabin number, look at the deck plans if your cabin has a square and a triangle you are safe for 4 people. the main bed (2 beds can be separated or together) plus convertible sofa bed plus a upper berth

There should be a pull down, and an additional convertabed/couch. The convertabeds also have a lower bed that pulls out...sort of like a trundle. When the convertabed trundle is out, the walking around room will be tight, but you will have plenty of sleeping spaces. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I just realized that you are on the Constellation and they probably do not have the convertabeds. Sorry. :(

Check this thread out. There's a photo of the convertabed on a Solstice class ship!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50127546&postcount=4

Here is the entire thread about bed types. Again, these are just for the Solstice class ships.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50127546#post50127546

Edited by Iamthesea

Look at the deck plans...there are symbols/legend that show what kind of bedding is in each cabin. Typically, there will be the main beds/bed....a pullman or two, or a sofa bed that sleeps 2, or a combo of each.

If it says it sleeps four, it will.

This is a quad balcony on Summit. The couch will fold out for one (and make balcony access difficult when it is open. The big rectangle in the ceiling will come down to make the fourth bed. EM

enhance

The quads on M class ships (Constellation) are smaller than on the S class. It is a tighter squeeze in those with 4 in a cabin as they are even smaller than Concierge cabins. It’s exactly like the photo above: one convertible single sofa and a pull-down from the ceiling. I remember sailing in one when our boys were very small - 5 & 7yrs. We tend to book 2 cabins: an inside and a balcony for the extra space, especially as the kids have grown.

Ashnal, you originally posted this on a special board which is being used to answer questions about Alaska and European Destinations.

One of the moderators was alerted to this mistake and moved the question here, to the general Celebrity board.

It honestly depends what you want to use the room for and how lightly you travel. If you are going to use it as a sleep, wash and change base you will manage fine. What there will not be is an excess of storage or ‘movement’ space. I agree with Villauk that as children grow (and want more privacy) alternative cabin set ups need considering....either booking two cabins or a larger suite.

During the day your cabin will be made up and not changed to the sleep set up until you go out to dine in the evening.

The M class has some quite spacious rear family veranda cabins which are usually only for 5 passengers but near the time of travel they can be available for fewer guests. Worth watching for....

I'd be more concerned about the 'awake' space than the sleep space. If you can budget it you may want to try for a nearby extra interior cabin. Four in the cabin you describe is doable but it is going to be very tight.

I'd be more concerned about the 'awake' space than the sleep space. If you can budget it you may want to try for a nearby extra interior cabin. Four in the cabin you describe is doable but it is going to be very tight.

Correct, when wife and I traveled with the kids in one cabin years ago, son and I showered and cleaned up in the gym area, just crazy time with that many people and back then you had to dress up.

Thank you to everyone. Lots of good advice I’m taking into consideration. Thank you as well for the photos it helped for me to visualize the sleep configuration.

It honestly depends what you want to use the room for and how lightly you travel. If you are going to use it as a sleep, wash and change base you will manage fine. What there will not be is an excess of storage or ‘movement’ space. I agree with Villauk that as children grow (and want more privacy) alternative cabin set ups need considering....either booking two cabins or a larger suite.

During the day your cabin will be made up and not changed to the sleep set up until you go out to dine in the evening.

The M class has some quite spacious rear family veranda cabins which are usually only for 5 passengers but near the time of travel they can be available for fewer guests. Worth watching for....

If you find a family veranda cabin available just have your travel agent book it with 5 people and at some point near final payment cancel the 5th person.

Your kids are still young enough that they may find tight quarters adventurous. We booked a simlar room, for our family of 4, for our first cruise. We ended up upgrading at the last minute to a 2 bedroom suite. I was worried about space and we got a great deal. That was a BIG mistake. I mean we had a grand vacation. But it is hard to go from a 2 bedroom suite back down to a single cabin. Now we HAVE to book 2 rooms- but now our kids are adult sized teenagers. I think you might give the single room a try and save your money for the next cruise.

We took our first cruise with our kids at about those ages, in a cabin with 2 pull downs. It was cozy, but we managed, although it was on,y a 4 day.

In the Med you won’t spend a huge amount of time on the ship

Dear Ashnal,

I believe you have got great help from all answers provided here, I hope you have all doubts cleared up.

Otherwise I would suggest to contact Celebrity One Touch team to help you out with any other inquires.

Have a fantastic cruise.

My family of 4 has shared a cabin many times. There is enough space for 4 people, some cruisers even share 4 adults to a room. It is all in your attitude, be flexible, have fun.

Ashnal, our family of 4 has been cruising in a single cabin since I was pregnant with the youngest (kids now teenagers). Our kids actually love being in a small room all together when we are on vacation (guess when we're at home, we're all spread out in separate rooms, and luckily, they're not repulsed by parents … yet. And actually, if they get to that point, we'll leave them at home, cheaper cruise for us :).

On the Constellation/M class, we had the drop down/pull out bed (aka upper berth) above the main bed (that was fun for the kids, but I recall if you are sleeping in the main bed, you need to not sit upright abruptly if you want to avoid a sudden headache); on the S class, it was the trundle bed from out under the sofa and that configuration did make it difficult to get move around/get to the balcony. We moved to a sky suite (though on S class only as 4 can't fit in M class SS) the last few years, and this is definitely better with two teenagers. We've considered 2 cabins vs suite, but the suite (with its benefits) has been winning.

I think at ages 10 and 7, one cabin will be fine.

Enjoy your Medi cruise with your family; many happy memories to be made!

We had a family veranda on the Summit so cannot comment on the M class ships, but we have been on several S class with 4 in a room (kids are now 9 and 11) and have never had an issue. On S class the couch does not pull out so there it plenty of walkable space at night. They put the pull down away during the day, I would imagine a pull out couch might take up more room but when they make up the room in the mornings they would fold it back up. It would only be tight at bedtime. One cabin is perfectly doable with kids that age.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMHO 4 people in a regular balcony on M class will be very tight. Have sailed many times in that category (or OV for that matter) but there were only 3 of us and it was crowded. On M class, you need to go to Concierge Class or above to get rooms as large as a basic balcony or outside cabin on S class. Since you are on an M class ship, expect to get to know each other really well! If you have any chance to change to Concierge Class I would highly recommend it. If not, there will be room for everyone to sleep.

And to the person who suggest booking for 5 and then cancelling one last minute - really?! You might have prevented a family of 5 from sailing at all on that ship if the FV's were all booked (which they often are, early on), and they could not afford 2 rooms. Just because you can 'work the system' doesn't make it right. My opinion.

4 people in a cabin shouldn’t be too bad compared to a travel trailer that we seen. Years ago we went to a RV show and seen a 30 Ft trailer that slept 16 people. This pulled out, that dropped down and other things converted to beds. The people would have had to gone to bed in a very strategic order and who knows if you had to go to the lav during the night. The aisle no longer existed and the beds were stacked over, across, under, and sideways. The space was probably a little more than the personnel on a submarine had.

I asked the sales rep what did you tow it with and he proudly said that any car could tow it. I then pointed out that I meant what vehicle carries 16 people plus all of the bedding and clothes. He then came back with it should be obvious that you would need to travel in more than one vehicle to accommodate everyone. No thanks.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We are just off the Solstice. My daughter and son-in-law sailed with us with their 4 and 6 year olds. The sofa, which was near the balcony door, converted to a bed and there was a trundle under it. Also on the floor there was a configuration where the sofa became a bed and there was a pull down that turned it into a bunk bed. Converting to a bed means there is a mattress topper hooked on top of the sofa. I babysat one night - it was comfortable enough for a kid. You just have to be sure what configuration you are getting because sometimes the symbols are misleading. As they get older - 10 ish - I would consider an inside cabin across from the main cabin. Or check out a 2 BR suite, but that might be more expensive.

Our very first cruise was on the Celebrity Galaxy (now with another cruise line)

and it was DH and our two teenage daughters (19 and 16 years old). We shared

an oceanview cabin and we literally had 4 beds that folded down from the walls.

Wow! pretty funny (2001)

I think you will be fine.