St. Maarten - Enough Time?

blackfoot

You have nerves of steel! From Boston we come 2 days early and last year we made it by a few hours only! If your flight lands at 4 on the dot perhaps, if it lands an hour late bonne chance! I think there is an earlier flight from Miami daily, not sure though. I would come a day before. Seriously. Happy Sailing

( immigrstion is slow in St. Maarten we have been in a line up to an hour) (traffic from the airport to dock can be horrid). Come early enjoy life.

No offense but I think this is a very crazy risky and foolish move! So much could go wrong with a late flight, waiting for luggage, traffic! No way! Generally they require you to be on board one hour ahead of departure at the start of the trip - so that means that you have even less time to make it.Think of the money, angst and time you will spend catching up with the ship at its next port if you miss it.

Come a day early at least - plenty to do in St. Maarten ahead of time!

We've sailed out of St Maarten numerous times on the WindSurf. The captain held the ship twice for late arrivals, but both of those were on Transatlantics and there was going to be no catching up to the ship on the second or third day!

I personally would be somewhat irritated if the captain chose to wait for someone who scheduled an airport arrival at 4 pm for a 7 pm departure on a one week cruise, and then was late to the ship. Particularly as things tend to take awhile to happen there between airport and ship. Think of those who have arrived on time and are ready to start their vacation. As others have said, try to find an earlier flight or come the day before for your sanity and for other passengers and crew.

Well said Pudgesmon. Indeed it would be annoying to have to wait. I was simply stunned by the question knowing what I know and last year stuck in Boston for 3 nights due an ice storm and barely making my WS cruise. That was cruise 22 and we have always arrived two days ahead. Yes, those decisions people make are irritating to others such as myself who are extremely punctual. Come in a day early and get ahead of Caribbean life. Happy Sailing

Last winter the Windsurf sailed out of Barbados. Since many people had to rebook air, they were very good about making sure everyone was able to embark. Embarkation was delayed for a plane that had a delay. We left 3 hours late. Distances between ports is small. Late departures can be easily made up. Windstar is very good when it comes to holding for late planes. However, in winter there are often cancellations due to stormy weather. I like to fly in early and have piece of mind that I will be there on embarkation day. I have stayed in St. Martin many times. Sometimes we went on a cruise and mostly just stayed in a hotel.

From the input , I changed my flt to get in the morning of, so I am allowing 8 hours for late arrival and the traffic to go 5 miles between the airport and the ship!

You should know I am flying from Phoenix the night before and then down on a flight( 85% on time w/ a <3% cancellation performance in Jan/Feb)) that only shuttles between Charlotte and St Maarten- should not have any East coast weather issues.

Relax, stay Happy!

From the input , I changed my flt to get in the morning of, so I am allowing 8 hours for late arrival and the traffic to go 5 miles between the airport and the ship!

You should know I am flying from Phoenix the night before and then down on a flight( 85% on time w/ a <3% cancellation performance in Jan/Feb)) that only shuttles between Charlotte and St Maarten- should not have any East coast weather issues.

Relax, stay Happy!

Just so you know, Charlotte does get ice and snow. May your air travels go smoothly and you have a wonderful cruise.

Relax, stay Happy!

Wise move. That first flight of the day from a southeast departure city is fine. While slightly different, we flew last winter to MCO for an overnight prior to boarding a 6:30a flight to San Juan during a time when not much was open in PR. We had to be onboard by 4p. Easy.