New to Windstar - Questions

RemPuck

Hi All –

First time poster on the Windstar forum. My husband and I are relatively new to cruising and have not been on Windstar (3x Cunard QM2 and 1x Celebrity Xpedition). The two QM2 crossings and the one port intensive Caribbean cruise were nice adventures but we’ve done it and have no need to do it again and the Galapagos was a great trip. We are at a point where we’ve learned what we like about being on a ship (unpack once) and what we don’t (crowds). Additionally, having a mix of active and “sea” days is a perfect balance.

To that, Windstar has come highly recommended by friends and we’re looking at a trip on Star Breeze in December, Aruba to Costa Rica via the Panama Canal. The size of the ship, the mix of urban and adventure-focused ports and a chance to escape at least some part of a Chicago winter are all intriguing. As we’re doing our research and planning, I do have a few questions and I hope you all can help.

1. We are a gay couple just on either side of 60. I’ve seen some reviews where we may be on the older end, and others on the younger end, of the demographic. We are fine if we’re the only gay couple on board but are hoping that we won’t feel like “Oh, it’s the gay couple” in the dining rooms or bars. Any feedback on demographics, particularly for this itinerary?

2. If anyone’s done this route in December, what is the weather generally like? I see a lot of reference to rain in historical weather reports, but I can’t tell if that’s typical tropical brief showers or consistently wet for days on end. Also, what do the seas tend to be like this time of year?

3. One thing we like is not having to get dressed up in the evenings. However, it’s hard to tell if “country club casual” is the dress code for the full ship in the evening or just Candles. No issues not wearing shorts and t-shirts to dinner; just want to ensure that khakis and a linen shirt suffice for all evenings.

4. Any feedback or experience about either the drinking or laundry packages are appreciated. I am inclined to skip the drink package (cocktails aren’t included until the pricey package is selected and I can’t imagine running up a $1000 bar tab in ten days (will I?)). What is the price for a basic martini or nice glass of wine? The laundry package does seem to make sense (ability to have laundry done 2-3 times over the 10 days and limit packing). Any comments about the service?

5. Is there anything about Windstar in general or this itinerary in particular that would be helpful in making our decision?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I’ve read through many of the older posts on this forum and feel like I’ve got a good sense of Windstar and am hoping that some focused answers to particular questions can help close the gap.

RemPuck

]Hi All –

First time poster on the Windstar forum. My husband and I are relatively new to cruising and have not been on Windstar (3x Cunard QM2 and 1x Celebrity Xpedition). The two QM2 crossings and the one port intensive Caribbean cruise were nice adventures but we’ve done it and have no need to do it again and the Galapagos was a great trip. We are at a point where we’ve learned what we like about being on a ship (unpack once) and what we don’t (crowds). Additionally, having a mix of active and “sea” days is a perfect balance.

To that, Windstar has come highly recommended by friends and we’re looking at a trip on Star Breeze in December, Aruba to Costa Rica via the Panama Canal. The size of the ship, the mix of urban and adventure-focused ports and a chance to escape at least some part of a Chicago winter are all intriguing. As we’re doing our research and planning, I do have a few questions and I hope you all can help.

1. We are a gay couple just on either side of 60. I’ve seen some reviews where we may be on the older end, and others on the younger end, of the demographic. We are fine if we’re the only gay couple on board but are hoping that we won’t feel like “Oh, it’s the gay couple” in the dining rooms or bars. Any feedback on demographics, particularly for this itinerary?

I've never really paid attention to "who's gay and who's straight" whether it's on a cruise or not. I think you will find everyone welcoming and engaging.

2. If anyone’s done this route in December, what is the weather generally like? I see a lot of reference to rain in historical weather reports, but I can’t tell if that’s typical tropical brief showers or consistently wet for days on end. Also, what do the seas tend to be like this time of year?

We flew into Panama City on Christmas Eve, spent a couple of nights there and boarded the Wind Spirit after Christmas going through the canal and up the west coast of Costa Rica. I don't really remember it ever raining while we were on our cruise. We did bring rain jackets just in case. It was pretty hot on several of our stops. Perfect for escaping our Minnesota winters!

I'm always a bit nervous about the seas but we had smooth sailing the entire cruise.

3. One thing we like is not having to get dressed up in the evenings. However, it’s hard to tell if “country club casual” is the dress code for the full ship in the evening or just Candles. No issues not wearing shorts and t-shirts to dinner; just want to ensure that khakis and a linen shirt suffice for all evenings.

Khakis and linen shirts will be lovely for any evening. Some times the BBQ can be a tad more casual. My husband might have worn khakis shorts that evening but I really don't remember. It is outside on deck.

4. Any feedback or experience about either the drinking or laundry packages are appreciated. I am inclined to skip the drink package (cocktails aren’t included until the pricey package is selected and I can’t imagine running up a $1000 bar tab in ten days (will I?)). What is the price for a basic martini or nice glass of wine? The laundry package does seem to make sense (ability to have laundry done 2-3 times over the 10 days and limit packing). Any comments about the service?

We haven't ever done the drink package. One of the reasons we sail on Windstar is because their cruises are very port intensive which means we aren't on the ship during the daytime hence we typically have a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner. It hasn't made sense for us. I know others have listed how much the drinks are but I think its between $8-$11 maybe?

We set sail in a month for our Mediterranean back2back2back on Wind Surf with 25 days on board. Laundry was included so it will be the first time we've tried the laundry service.

5. Is there anything about Windstar in general or this itinerary in particular that would be helpful in making our decision?

We LOVED being on Wind Spirit cruising through the Panama Canal! It was on my bucket list and it surpassed everything I had imagined. One of the best parts is you can wander ALL OVER THE SHIP (except the bridge) during the crossing. You can go to the bow or the stern; you can move to the port or the starboard side. There is always plenty of room to see whatever there is to see. They have a guide come on board and talk over the loud speakers about different sights. It's just the right amount of information at just the right times. We shared the crossing with a smaller sail boat and it was fun to watch them too. I can't image being on a big cruise ship; the Panama Canal was an intimate experience and Windstar is the perfect way to experience all it has to offer! Enjoy!!

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I’ve read through many of the older posts on this forum and feel like I’ve got a good sense of Windstar and am hoping that some focused answers to particular questions can help close the gap.

RemPuck

Khakis and a decent top are fine for dinner every night. Just no Tee shirts, although I've seen guys get away with dressy T's, so even that is flexible. Candles is actually casual and shorts are just fine there. The BBQ is wear whatever you want night.

You will be very welcome as a gay couple. As long as you're friendly and talk to the other guests you'll become part of the crowd. On a recent cruise we fell into the pattern of having a drink up to most nights with more or less the same mixed crowd of straights and gays and often wound up going to dinner together. It was actually the two guys who came up the first night and said "you look like a fun couple, can we join you for drinks?" Then there were the 4 guys traveling together who spent all of their time together and that was fine too, everyone just left them alone. If you sit alone at dinner every night you may become a little bit "the couple off by themselves again" but not in a mean way and you'll see straight couples who also spend most of their time alone. I always think "why", but then realize that's their choice. If you offer to sit with other people at dinner you'll be very, very welcomed. If you're out on a WS excursion just talk to other people. In terms of age, you're probably about dead middle for WS average.

Based on our one Windstar cruise this April in the Med:

60 will put you pretty much in the middle of the age range. Our cruise seemed to mostly range from 50-70ish.

Khakis and a collared shirt are fine for the evenings. We saw dress pants and sportcoats on occasion, but that's completely optional (and it was a bit cool on a couple of evenings so it may have been for warmth more than style).

Wines and liqueurs generally ran $7-9 a glass on our cruise. We're not big drinkers so we skipped the drink package.

The laundry service was great. We got the package since we were in Lisbon for most of a week before the cruise and knew we'd be coming aboard with a load of dirty clothes. Turnaround was fast - in by 9 AM and back by 5 PM (usually a bit earlier) and things came back nicely folded.

The things we loved about Windstar was how personal the service was and how unhurried and uncrowded it felt. There was hardly ever a line and we felt like we were dealing with people and not cogs in a machine.

Hi, welcome to WS. I have completed 22 cruises, we are very partial to WS on many levels. We have met many gay folks on WS, many of our gay friends have sailed with us, ( we are now 70 but started sailing with WS at 51 ) never saw or heard of problems. Olivia Tours uses WS. The Panama Canal cruise is glorious, as you go through the canal you will be so pleased that you are on a smaller ship. Make sure you read The Path Between the Seas: The creation of the Panama Canal superb written by David McCullough. Gives you a great background to appreciate how truly great this canal is. WS has a great guide that goes with the ship narrating about the canal, terrific addition.

We love the laundry service always have. I have bought the package only once and I feel we have always come ahead. The time I did I had been traveling for close to three weeks. ( I have never checked a bag... that time I was desperate for the laundry ) superb service.

One of the reasons we love the WS is because we do not have to dress for dinner, my husband wears khakis and a nice shirt. The ship is civil, lovely, not ostentacious, comfortable, welcoming all with increcible service. The food is of hugh quality and varried , healthy choices are widly available, beautifully presented and generous.

We have sailed from Aruba through the canal with WS and the Costa Rica coast twice, calm seas, rain, if there is any 10-20 minutes similar to the Caribbean. Hot, very. I love heat.

Costa Rica is a wonderful country and WS makes some terrific stops.

We have never purchased the drink package we simply do not drink much more than 2 drinks a day always a glass of red wine with dinner.

Going through the canal with WS is very special. Happy Sailing.

Thanks so much to all of the quick replies. It sounds like this will be a great fit for us. We're still figuring out some final bits of logistics and planning, but we hope to formally book in the next few weeks. I may be back with more questions! And please keep any suggestions coming.

Thanks again -

RemPuck

Thanks so much to all of the quick replies. It sounds like this will be a great fit for us. We're still figuring out some final bits of logistics and planning, but we hope to formally book in the next few weeks. I may be back with more questions! And please keep any suggestions coming.

Thanks again -

RemPuck

I just noticed your avatar. I think the drink package may be in order!

Just adding a few things- we went through the canal on the Wind Star at the end of December. That was considered the dry season. We had a few afternoon tropical showers and bright sunny weather the rest of the cruise. We sailed from Limon, Costa Rica, through the canal, then as far north as Nicaragua.

I agree with everyone else on your other questions. Oh, and do read the book mentioned, makes the experience even more meaningful. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Another emphatic vote for the laundry package. We now travel with 1/2 the amount of clothes we used to bring. There's nothing like getting home with a suitcase full of clean clothes.

Our 12th WS cruise will be this October (Beijing-Hong Kong) and we always come away feeling like we were on a private charter.

I do wish the individual Roll Calls we're more active. Difficult to get small group excursions planned ahead.

Speaking of ... Anyone on the Wind Star Greek Isles cruise departing Aug. 28, 2018?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Yes about the Roll Calls. A huge part of the issue is that with Private Messaging turned off it is virtually impossible to connect with anyone without posting your contact information on an open forum. Something that I, for one, will not do.

We are leaving in November for our 3rd trip this year on the Star Breeze. So in love with this ship and it's crew. We have gone on nearly 40 cruises and this ship is one of our favorites. No complaints about anything. The laundry is unbelievable. It is so fast and good. Zero complaints. We are mid 50s and early 60s and we fit right in (age). We are bringing friends with us for the next one who have never cruised before. I felt this would be the best ship for them to try. I hope you book it, I know you won't regret it.

You're going to love it Rem. It's so personal and the guests are so friendly. Most are very well traveled, experienced cruisers who will welcome you with open arms. Simply a great experience. Do it. Bet you come away with some new friends and isn't that what life's about?

We have done three Windstar cruises and have booked a fourth. Would highly recommend the laundry package, particularly if you have any pre-cruise days. Very quick and personal service from your room steward.

We also,got the laundry package on a cruise with Holland America but all our clothes came back with annoying laundry stickers on them and some clothes a bit damaged. Not the same level of service.