Oceania NEXT

LaCroisiereS'amuse

We just came back from dinner in Insignia’s Polo. I hope they don’t change much there. Carpeting and drapes need a refreshed look (although most other cruise lines would leave both...they are decent shape). But, the wood and art there fits a comfortable steakhouse look. Even the chairs look in good enough shape to last a few more years.

That said, while I love the old look of the ship, which has been meticulously maintained, I am looking forward to the cabin, MDR and lounge redos.

The changes look great! Yesterday morning while waiting to disembark Insignia is when I first learned of the changes, finally turning my iPhone's data back on!

It was fun taking one last quick around Insignia experiencing the "before" with a rendering of the changes on my iPad. Even my DH who normally couldn't care less about these types of things did a few "oohs, and aaaahs!

I really like the renderings of the cabin putting the TV on the wall and it looks like they open up the dead space where the TV currently is for more storage! Also, the new night stands look a little higher with an extra drawer, yah! As someone who is guilty of MASSIVELY overpacking for every cruise, more storage is always welcome!

The changes look great! Yesterday morning while waiting to disembark Insignia is when I first learned of the changes, finally turning my iPhone's data back on!

It was fun taking one last quick around Insignia experiencing the "before" with a rendering of the changes on my iPad. Even my DH who normally couldn't care less about these types of things did a few "oohs, and aaaahs!

I really like the renderings of the cabin putting the TV on the wall and it looks like they open up the dead space where the TV currently is for more storage! Also, the new night stands look a little higher with an extra drawer, yah! As someone who is guilty of MASSIVELY overpacking for every cruise, more storage is always welcome!

I should have put this in my prior post, one thing that I do hope that is changed are the cabin door locks. I hope the current magnetic locks are replaced with RFID readers. The reason I mention this is my watch band has a magnet in it and I was a frequent visitor to deck 4 to have a new card issued. Trust me I was trying my best to be careful, but eventually I'd go to return to the cabin and get the dreaded red light instead of the door opening! :D

did I miss it? where are the outlets at the desk? I always dry my hair and do makeup there, so wondering. I also hope the stool at the desk is of sufficient height. otherwise, I'm liking the décor (actually better than the "new" décor on Azamara...and I'm a big Azamara fan)

The outlets are on the left wall of the desk. And I use it for hair and makeup as well.

As earlier posted, these are computer renditions for marketing and impression purposes only. Please stop trying to count electrical outlets, light switches, and other minute objects outside the purpose of the slides!!!

Obviously people are just excited....no need to scold them. Smile and take a deep breath. :cool:

I too welcome the additional storage possibilities with putting the TV on the wall. That said, given the way sound travels between staterooms, I fear we will experience even less and less quiet when neighbors crank up the volume. Regrettably, the soundproofing does more to muffle sound from the hallway than from abutting cabins.

I should have put this in my prior post, one thing that I do hope that is changed are the cabin door locks. I hope the current magnetic locks are replaced with RFID readers. The reason I mention this is my watch band has a magnet in it and I was a frequent visitor to deck 4 to have a new card issued. Trust me I was trying my best to be careful, but eventually I'd go to return to the cabin and get the dreaded red light instead of the door opening! :D

My wife has a Apple watch with the magnet on it and the band. She's never had this issue with the cards. Might be something else you're doing.

Hate hearing the TV from next door!!! Spent 180 days listening to FOX news 'cause the occupant was hard of hearing!!!! Hopefully O will insulate walls so this doesn't happen!!

Could management not speak to them about the sound level ???

That would be most annoying

We had the issue on a river cruise "good Morning America " every day @ 6am glad it was a short cruise ;)

Could management not speak to them about the sound level ???

That would be most annoying

We had the issue on a river cruise "good Morning America " every day @ 6am glad it was a short cruise ;)

We did talk to her but because of her hearing she didn't think it was that loud!! After a while it just became the norm - you know that "new normal" everyone talks about today.

We did talk to her but because of her hearing she didn't think it was that loud!! After a while it just became the norm - you know that "new normal" everyone talks about today.

YUP

Too bad you had to put up with it for the whole cruise

I would have push her overboard :evilsmile:

I too welcome the additional storage possibilities with putting the TV on the wall. That said, given the way sound travels between staterooms, I fear we will experience even less and less quiet when neighbors crank up the volume. Regrettably, the soundproofing does more to muffle sound from the hallway than from abutting cabins.

This may come as a shock but ships are made of metal. Metal is an excellent conductor of sound, heat, electricity.

When you decide to take a trip in a metal capsule for a week or more you need to have reasonable expectations that you are going to have to compromise. Also be advised that the metal capsule you booked actually floats in a constantly moving fluid and will never stop moving as long as it is in that environment.

If you want the experience to be just like home...then don't leave it.

This may come as a shock but ships are made of metal. Metal is an excellent conductor of sound, heat, electricity.

When you decide to take a trip in a metal capsule for a week or more you need to have reasonable expectations that you are going to have to compromise. Also be advised that the metal capsule you booked actually floats in a constantly moving fluid and will never stop moving as long as it is in that environment.

If you want the experience to be just like home...then don't leave it.

After 29 cruises on three different cruise lines, including 14 on Oceania, I am well aware of how ships are constructed and that certain compromises must be made. Such compromises should be shared by those in adjoining staterooms, including keeping TV volume at an appropriate level and showing courtesy to your neighbors in so doing.

You failed to mention that the metal construction also has an adverse effect on the ship's wi-fi capabilities, which, when coupled with less than up-to-date satellite internet offering to one and all, is another "compromise" we accept when sailing on Oceania (BTW. We've got cruise no. 15 booked for September 2019 and are looking forward to seeing the offerings for all of 2020).

Bottom line: Staying home is not an option yet for us; we expect our fellow passengers to be just as courteous toward us as we try to be toward them.

• Like 1

Im following this thread a week after getting off Azamara Pursuit. Maiden voyage. Oceana is on our list of options.

Both of us work and it's often the case of " itinerary" being important ( ie cruises when we have time off).

The Azamara Pursuit stateroom ( verandah balcony) had wonderful, contemporary decor. The links to verandah shown earlier reflect that ( IMO). We also visited an Oceanview and it had similar decor.

Thx for Oceana info.

Oceana is on our list of options.

I know you probably know that OCEANIA is the cruise line

OCEANA is a ship in the P & O fleet

so it can make a difference in the spelling

just saying

Sorry you had to put up with it, but glad it became easy to ignore the 'new normal' quickly.

I do wonder how soon onboard inroom TVs will become headphone only - even if proprietary headphones they could be disposable (if in ear) or with disposable covers (if over-ear). Then it would be pretty hard to hear in the next cabin I would hope. Might even help keep the peace between room-mates who disagree over what (or whether) to watch, and at what volume ;)

Bottom line: Staying home is not an option yet for us; we expect our fellow passengers to be just as courteous toward us as we try to be toward them.
Excellent post, and very true, yet I'm reminded of a recent thread in which what seemed to be an imminently sensible and highly intelligent gentleman booked an Oceania Cruise during which he hoped, and I quote, "to recover from a very serious illness".

Unfortunately, because he was not feeling up to snuff, such things as passengers visiting adjoining cabins in the afternoon disturbed him greatly. His expectations of being moved to another cabin were not accommodated, and as a result he came away with a sour taste in his mouth.

My point is that expectations sometimes need to tempered by others right to enjoyment.

Might even help keep the peace between room-mates who disagree over what (or whether) to watch, and at what volume ;)

I asked a question once about whether wireless headphones could be used with Oceania's tv's, but the responses were mixed. Also, it didn't sound easy to set up so I dropped the idea. My friend (who I travel with) likes to go to bed early...like 8pm...and I prefer 11pm. But she doesn't want the TV volume on after 8 so she can sleep. That's why I was hoping to find a solution. Oh well....

I asked a question once about whether wireless headphones could be used with Oceania's tv's, but the responses were mixed. Also, it didn't sound easy to set up so I dropped the idea. My friend (who I travel with) likes to go to bed early...like 8pm...and I prefer 11pm. But she doesn't want the TV volume on after 8 so she can sleep. That's why I was hoping to find a solution. Oh well....

The wireless headphones just might work with the new TVs. Ask someone on a cruise after the first refurbishment is done. Would the light from the TV bother your roommate? If not (and if the wireless headphones don’t work) can you live with CC?

Edited by Paulchili

I guess the solution to that problem would be one of the "super suites" ... since they have separate bedrooms.

But not everyone can pay that freight! If you were in a VS or OS where the TV is in the living room, your roommate could be sleeping in the bedroom with the door closed. Even an OC on the "O" ships since the TV is in the media room ...

Mura

An IPad with headphones works in our house