Men's attire at dinner

dor4tvl

A collared shirt & long trousers are required for the dining venues

The Terrace is the exception

Jackets. suits & ties optional

Lots of threads on dress codes here

country club attire can mean a sport jacket. do men typically wear sport jackets at dinner in the specialty restaurants and grand dining room? We're doing the Riviera in Europe. Thanks.

Dress appropriate to the venue If you feel its a class act place then dress with some class. The specialties many choose to wear sport coats more so than the Grand Dining room. But dress in a manner that reflects you.

I've said this one before.

We shared a table with a first-time Oceania couple in the GDR. He was wearing a suit and tie.

He came out and asked about the dress code and I told him he didn't need the suit and tie.

I saw him the next night in Polo and he was without the jacket, without the tie. He DID have clothes on, however.

Perhaps people who are used to the lines where formal nights are regular can't believe that men especially don't need to be in suits and ties ...

Someone one posted here that he saw a man arrive in his boxers and the staff was kind to him and didn't point out his error. I do find that one hard to believe! I can believe that they would have been kind to him in asking him to return better dressed! But not that they'd have welcomed him in his underwear.

Then again, I may be mis-remembering the finer points of this story!

Mura

We just returned from a cruise on Insignia, up to Halifax, down to Bermuda, return to NY. One man was politely refused entry to the dining room because he was in shorts. Most men were in collared shirts and slacks; a few wore sport jackets. I saw no suits or ties. In the specialties, about half the men wore sport jackets; again, no suits or ties.

Harriet

country club attire can mean a sport jacket. do men typically wear sport jackets at dinner in the specialty restaurants and grand dining room? We're doing the Riviera in Europe. Thanks.

A few do in the GDR. A few more in the specialty rest. Jacques had I'd guess a little less than 50%. Very few wore ties. I'd guess less than 5% overall. Though we brought ties, it was at times just too warm. Some say jeans are permissible, but we saw signs outside the rest(all of them)that specifically no jeans. One guy had a tux the first night & we never saw it after that. I'll say overall, most pax really made an effort to look nice, without being over the top. Country Club casual is a great description. Only a few suits. Mostly just the sport jacket option.

I've said this one before.

We shared a table with a first-time Oceania couple in the GDR. He was wearing a suit and tie.

He came out and asked about the dress code and I told him he didn't need the suit and tie.

I saw him the next night in Polo and he was without the jacket, without the tie. He DID have clothes on, however.

Perhaps people who are used to the lines where formal nights are regular can't believe that men especially don't need to be in suits and ties ...

Someone one posted here that he saw a man arrive in his boxers and the staff was kind to him and didn't point out his error. I do find that one hard to believe! I can believe that they would have been kind to him in asking him to return better dressed! But not that they'd have welcomed him in his underwear.

Then again, I may be mis-remembering the finer points of this story!

Mura

Ever see any pax in pajama bottoms? We've seen that a few times on other lines.

Elegant casual should be fine. Baseball caps and shorts in specialty restaurants and the MDR not so much. You can be comfortable without getting too gussied up. I think O has a reasonable dress code that fits everyone.

Shorts and jeans may be OK for the Terrace, please not in the MDR or specialties. Ball caps are not allowed in any country club dining room that I know of, so I would not expect to see them in the MDR or specialties, at least I hope not!

Not me personally, no! Nor have I seen bathrobes, although I've read reports of people wearing them to the Executive and Concierge Lounges on the "L" ships.

You mean it wouldn’t be a good idea to get my early morning coffee from the concierge lounge wearing my

robe? I will be staying just down the hall....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand that 'O' has no formal nights. But are there ever special occasion's, perhaps being invited to the "captain's table", or some other special occasion that might warrant a little bit more dress-up than usual?

I understand that 'O' has no formal nights. But are there ever special occasion's, perhaps being invited to the "captain's table", or some other special occasion that might warrant a little bit more dress-up than usual?

No, never.

A jacket for men is as dressed up as anyone ever gets, even at the Captains table, and about 50% of the men won't even wear that.

No, never.

A jacket for men is as dressed up as anyone ever gets, even at the Captains table, and about 50% of the men won't even wear that.

Didn’t bring a jacket and felt totally comfortable and appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Marina last September. Due to weather we were diverted to another port and offered an alternate excursion there which ran very late. We arrived just as our reservation in Polo was to happen. Knowing that they would only hold it for 15 minutes, we raced there, now past time, and apologizd, saying we knew we were still dressed in our excursion attire (sneakers, tees) , and said we wanted to change but that meant we would be late. They were so gracious. They did give us a table near the rear of the room, closer to the entrance, but one away from the window with a great view. They were quite insistent that there was no need for us to go and change. Service was excellent and we truly appreciated their graciousness. I will say that we were neat, but it was not what we would have worn had circumstances been different. My DH would have been in collared shirt and slacks, with his regular shows, and I in slacks, nice top, and dress flats.

you can dress up if you wish

Sounds like I will feel right at home then...I am used to "Freestyle Dress Up or Not" on sister NCL...:D

As I have posted many times before as long as you meet the minimum dress code of Collared shirt & long slacks it will be fine

I have seen suits with & without ties & full Tux outfits on O

Shorts and jeans may be OK for the Terrace, please not in the MDR or specialties. Ball caps are not allowed in any country club dining room that I know of, so I would not expect to see them in the MDR or specialties, at least I hope not!

On our Jan. trip,they did allow ball caps during breakfast/lunch. Other than that, only one guy wore a hat to each specialty rest. Each night it was a different hat & the guy had a good full head of hair.

Sounds like I will feel right at home then...I am used to "Freestyle Dress Up or Not" on sister NCL...:D

Do remember it's "Country Club Casual" not "Fleamarketeer" casual. NCL can be casual to the worst degree as well.