Royal Caribbean banning emotional support animals

NemoCrownie

I saw this and came to Cruise Critic to see what was being posted. I can't believe it isn't being discussed so I will start the discussion and say I hope this will also apply to Celebrity and I hope it is enforced.

https://cruisefever.net/royal-...imals-from-their-cruise-ships/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have read here on CC where there were a few issues with 'service animals' aboard some X ships, yet personally, I have never seen or seen any evidence of them on our sailings...

How prevalent are they aboard, I wonder or does anyone have experience as such, either using or seeing them aboard?

bon voyage

I have read here on CC where there were a few issues with 'service animals' aboard some X ships, yet personally, I have never seen or seen any evidence of them on our sailings...

How prevalent are they aboard, I wonder or does anyone have experience as such, either using or seeing them aboard?

bon voyage

In 36 cruises, I’ve seen one guide dog, and one emotional support dog. That’s it. Of course the fully-trained and qualified guide dog was impeccably behaved, but the little foo-foo emotional support dog was actually very well-behaved too.

bon voyage

I've never read any issues about service dogs, but have read many about emotional support dogs (going potty in public areas, sitting on tables, being fed from tables, putting food on dishes and feeding the dog, growling at crew and passengers, etc.). There is a big difference between a service dog and emotional support dog; behavior is a big clue as to which is which.

I saw this and came to Cruise Critic to see what was being posted. I can't believe it isn't being discussed so I will start the discussion and say I hope this will also apply to Celebrity and I hope it is enforced.

The new policy is the same for all US-based RCCL lines, (Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, and Azamara)

Steve

Yes. Totally agree. I would like dogs to be restricted to Service dogs as defined by the ADA- And trained as such, not emotional support animals. Trained service dogs are very acceptable of course. We have seen only one accompanying a blind person on another line maybe 7 years ago. 3/3 Caribbean cruises in 2017-2018 had several small pups on board. About half of the crowd loves the little dogs. We are in the other half. Little dogs are carried, or in the ubiquitous FLdoggie strollers or riding in the basket of an electric chair..We also object to little dogs in theater for pm performances.....and poolside.....and in ocean view or aqua spa cafe......elevators.....even my best dog-loving and dog owning friends do not approve of dogs on aboard. I am not only allergic to animals, but frightened by animals ( bad childhood incident.) I also do not like thinking about my cabin’s previous occupants.....perhaps a dog....even tho I have been told small dogs do not need “to be walked.” These animals sometimes wear collars, available online, that say service animal.....I think they are just small pets that are easier to bring than to find a sitter for at home! How selfish. As you can tell, this is my number 1 irritation on ships and planes......and how do these animals get off the ship?there must be many ports without quarantine requirements. Can’t recall if a dog was on Canada and USA itinerary out of Bayonne. Definitely not on Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be honest in the UK I had never seen or heard of an emotional support dog until I read CC.

Sorry, to me it is ridiculous. GOOD decision RCI and hope that other US lines follow. Looking on from outside the USA we have often said 'Only in America' (no offense) and are glad that someone 'over the pond' has seen sense.

Just to make it clear --- we have nothing other than the utmost respect for Guide Dogs for the Blind in the UK (know one very well .. woof) and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf etc as well as recognised dog support - what you would call service dogs in the US I imagine

I find that some people just take advantage and have read about the so called ES Dogs with open jaws. Unreal.

We have pets that we stress about leaving at home but they stay at home ---- well, in the K - E- N - N- E- L- S --- shhhhh

PS Hubby has just suggested that folk "take a teddy bear" If needs be --- sorry, made me laugh and I couldn't agree more. My 2 small ones come along every year .... but they stay in the cabin !!!

Edited by Presto2

Service dogs...absolutely fine (though I've never actually seen one on a ship in all our cruises). Only had one (unfortunate) encounter with a support dog. Oldish woman had a chihuahua on a cruise. Unfortunately, we overlooked her balcony and saw its 'mess' and the poor steward who had to clean up after it (obviously the woman wasn't capable!). She was a long time cruiser and got invited to the Captains table and asked to bring the dog. She was apparently pi**ed off, because she was told 'no you can't'...thank God someone had some sense! Next time we saw her was with the Captains Club hostess, asking if her dog could be photoshopped into the picture of the Captains table group! Should she be let out on a cruise ship? I know you meet some weird people on ships, but...

Simon

Great! Last month on Equinox a couple pushed a dog around in a baby stroller. Ridiculous! Saw this in a dining venue to boot.

Was this on July 14-21 with the Yorkie in a stroller? If so, I saw it to. Apparently, it could sense when the owners blood sugar was dropping..... And she said she self trained it. I might have struck up a conversation with her in the Oceanview one morning before I was curious.

Was this on July 14-21 with the Yorkie in a stroller? If so, I saw it to. Apparently, it could sense when the owners blood sugar was dropping..... And she said she self trained it. I might have struck up a conversation with her in the Oceanview one morning before I was curious.

And therein lies the problem. You, me or the Cruise line do not know whether that dog is a legitimate Service Dog. The cruise line follows the ADA and the ADA does not allow any host or service provider to ask for documentation as to whether the dog is a service animal. They are allowed to ask two questions, 1. Is this a service animal and 2. what task does it provide. Additionally, in the US there is no such thing as registering service dogs that is official and the dogs under most circumstances do not need be on a leash or wear a vest. Below is a link from the US justice Dept which is a pretty good explanation of the law under the ADA. Also, service dogs and support dogs are two totally different things. There are many cases where there are small dogs that are there to detect diabetes but usually that dog will be carried by the owner so it can detect the breath.

One other thing which you will see in the directive, if you have an allergy due to the dog, guess what, you lose...

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

That's fine with me as long as they don't ban my emotional support Ketel One.

So glad to see RCI taking a stand on this. Just wish the airlines would too.

BTW: If a service animal has been in a cabin, is that cabin given an extra cleaning before the next passenger occupy's it ?

Ha, Ha. Good one. And to answer AU pilot, yes, it was that cruise. I would think that anyone with blood sugar sensitivities would be able to tell when they need a boost. without a dog to sense it. Or am I just misinformed about this?

So glad to see RCI taking a stand on this. Just wish the airlines would too.

BTW: If a service animal has been in a cabin, is that cabin given an extra cleaning before the next passenger occupy's it ?

Knowing someone who has a Guide Dog (Registered for the Blind) --- who is an amazing, wonderful, stunning and intelligent superstar of a dog (!) --- I personally would not worry about having an extra clean after following on. To me the issue is NOT these wonderful registered service dogs and the people they support but the idiots who misuse the policy ........

Let's not get in to issues re cleaning cabins after service dogs -- there by the grace of God go any of us ....

Here’s the true test to find out if a dog is truly a service animal....and it really works.

Talk to the owner and admire the dog. Say how wonderful it is when service dogs allow folks to be independent and how amazing it is that dogs can be trained for so many support activities. Ask what kind of support their dog provides...and pause to wait for the answer. Ask how it was trained? How much does a service dog cost? Etc

The owners of true service dogs love their animals as part of the family and are happy to talk about them. The frauds start to clam up and get nervous...they shut you off.

Try it...,you’ll be shocked at how many owners almost panic if you ask about their precious fifi...

Sent from my iPad using Forums