Jones Act, can we do this

rervousneck

We fly from the US to Copenhagen and cruise a North Atlantic route without being in the US again until our final port, NYC. Norway, Iceland, Greenland and Canada.

Can we disembark four days early in St John, CA and fly back to the US. Or Halifax two days early.

The St John flight goes through Toronto then to Nashville.

The Halifax flight goes to Boston before Nashville.

I think I have seen this discussed before, primarily concerning Alaskan cruises. I didn't know the best place to ask the question.

Edited by rervousneck

Can we disembark four days early in St John, CA and fly back to the US. Or Halifax two days early.

You would need to get written prior permission to disembark early from the cruise line & clear immigration in Canada

Contact the cruise line

As mentioned cruise air has nothing to do with your question.

And USA acts have nothing to do with this either.

You do need to ask the cruise line if they will allow you to disembark in either port and part of this will depend on Canada customs. If they say yes then get it in writing and also once on the ship stop by the front desk to be sure they know about it. Bring your written approval with you. Also history means nothing so if someone did it last year on the same cruise line it does not guarantee they will allow you to do it this year.

Keith

We fly from the US to Copenhagen and cruise a North Atlantic route without being in the US again until our final port, NYC. Norway, Iceland, Greenland and Canada.

The St John flight goes through Toronto then to Nashville.

The Halifax flight goes to Boston before Nashville.

I think I have seen this discussed before, primarily concerning Alaskan cruises. I didn't know the best place to ask the question.

Did something similar to this in September

On a northern TA on Princess.

My Son and I wanted to tour Iceland.

Received permission, from Princess, to leave the Crown Princess, in Reykjavik,

for five days.

Toured Iceland; flew from Reykjavik to Halifax.

Cleared Customs.

Stayed over night in Halifax.

Re-boarded the Crown Princess the next day.

Cruise ended in NYC.

As the Act you refer deals with sailing in and out of US ports, and what you are planning has nothing to do with sailing in and out of US ports, the Act doesn't apply.

Not only that, but the Jones Act doesn't apply at all to passenger ships, it's applicable to cargo. The applicable law is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (PVSA), which actually predates the Jones Act by 34 years, and yes, the PVSA is not applicable to the OP's situation.

As has been previously stated, the OP has to obtain permission from the cruise line to disembark early.

Unfortunately even many in the industry mistakenly refer to the PVSA as the Jones Act, perpetuating the confusion.