Flying Clipper

john watson

• 1 month later...

I hope to sail her in Sept 2018....wondering where she will be positioned? Now with 4 ships in the fleet, I wonder if all of them will be positioned in the med? Guessing Northern Europe will get one ship. Wouldn't Hawaii be a change....heaven knows there is enough wind:D

• 5 months later...
I hope to sail her in Sept 2018....wondering where she will be positioned? Now with 4 ships in the fleet, I wonder if all of them will be positioned in the med? Guessing Northern Europe will get one ship. Wouldn't Hawaii be a change....heaven knows there is enough wind:D

The cruise line will probably do a Caribbean and a Cuba section as well as a European one. I cannot see Hawaii being viable on legal and technical grounds under the cabotage rules. After calling in at the first port in Hawaii the ship must visit a distant foreign port before calling in at another American port which is a long way away at 8 knots or so.

My guess is that they will be bigging up Cuba as not many other cruise lines can go there, Thomson, Fred Olsen etc.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't want to spoil anything but pictures are available on the web (if you do a little research) about the Flying Clipper being built. Star Clipper would probably not be very pleased if I post them here. Just to say you will not be disappointed.

Brodosplit shipyard in Split, Croatia are building the vessel and images are available if you google and specify images. i have also found artists impressions on Croatia news sites, it's bigger news there that in the US for example. One could even say it's world-wide news in Croatia!

Regards John

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the video!!! The color of the hull is so different, but wonderful. I wonder if this will be how she really gets painted and if so will the rest of the fleet follow? Me, I like the tan and gray color scheme. Now when will she sail? I'll book!

• 8 months later...

Thank you dandee2! If that photo was taken in January, then the build has either stopped or slowed down to a crawl. I can’t see her entering service before the end of 2018, maybe early 2019. Can’t imagine the financial strain this is having on Star Clippers. Still looking forward to sailing on her.

• 1 month later...

I have located a bit more news on Flying Clipper: much of the news is obvious to passengers familiar with the cruise line, however a few interesting facts have been revealed. An eighteen feet deep swimming pool with glass walls for diving tuition for example.

www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Flying-Clipper-1335

Regards John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While making a Star Flyer booking for June 2019, I asked about the new build. They said they are hoping for the summer season next year. As for the delay...there have been challenges with building a sailing ship of this size.

While making a Star Flyer booking for June 2019, I asked about the new build. They said they are hoping for the summer season next year. As for the delay...there have been challenges with building a sailing ship of this size.

This is the same reply that I got on the royal clipper last week!:confused:

• 1 month later...