Boston - Hotel & sightseeing recommendations

TrolleyGirl

We (2 couples in our early 50's) will be sailing on the Maasdam in early June out of Boston. We will land at Boston Logan around noon (Friday) and sail the next afternoon. I would like a hotel recommendation for 2 rooms for under $200 per room/ night, that is in a safe, interesting neighborhood. What would be a good touring plan for us to see the must see sights of Boston? Mobility is not an issue.

We (2 couples in our early 50's) will be sailing on the Maasdam in early June out of Boston. We will land at Boston Logan around noon (Friday) and sail the next afternoon. I would like a hotel recommendation for 2 rooms for under $200 per room/ night, that is in a safe, interesting neighborhood. What would be a good touring plan for us to see the must see sights of Boston? Mobility is not an issue.

Under $200/night is going to be very tough. What is your exact date? 2 rooms with what kind of beds?

What type of sight-seeing are you looking to do? I usually recommend the Freedom Trail for a first-timer who is interested in history.

With regards to a hotel, under $200/night is going to be tough, for somewhere decent. You might find something at the seaport, but then you would need to take public transit to get back downtown for touristy stuff.

We like walking tours and eating at local establishments. We will be there June 1&2. Right now I have the YOTEL on hold at Seaport for $216. It looked like it had easy access from the airport and to the pier. Plus it looked funky cool, especially the sky view bar. Would it be fairly easy to pick up the trolley from there or the freedom trail?

I will also look in the Black Bay Area. Thank you for the suggestion

For the Freedom Trail, you would need to get to the Commons. Not sure about the trolleys, but I'm not sure they regularly go to the Seaport.

However, you can take the Silver Line from the Seaport to South Station, and then hop the Red Line to Park Street to get to the Freedom Trail starting point.

In September we stayed at Mariott Copley Square and loved it for its location and ease of getting around. We flew in and landed at 8:00 a.m. and in our hotel room by 8:45 a.m., I was totally amazed. We Uber for around 28, I think. I had already purchased the Old Town Trolley, hop on / hop off and there was a tour stop just outside the hotel. We were able to catch the first shuttle. As we had two days there we got our berings the first day and rode around and then went to the USS Constitution, which we got to using the free harbor tour, which makes a stop there and will pick you up in an hour, which I wish we had done as getting the trolly from the Constitution was a little of a pain due to the crowds. Once back at our hotel we went to the attached mall and ate a late lunch at Eately. I had Pizza very similar to pizza I had in Italy years ago. Later that night we went to Legal Seafood, which I had made a reservation, we were able to walk also from the hotel, which made it nice because it was raining.

The next day we picked up the trolley and got off at the start of the Freedom Trail. I had made reservations for lunch in the North End. I am really glad we started where we did as it was mostly down hill and with my 75 year old mother was an easy walk to the resteraunt. We stopped along the way at various sites and were ready for lunch. We then walked around the North End and caught the trolly back to the hotel. Later that night we ended up at Fanouill Hall for dinner by taking Uber again. We then took Uber again to the port the next day.

Have fun with your planning!!

In September we stayed at Mariott Copley Square and loved it for its location and ease of getting around. We flew in and landed at 8:00 a.m. and in our hotel room by 8:45 a.m., I was totally amazed. We Uber for around 28, I think. I had already purchased the Old Town Trolley, hop on / hop off and there was a tour stop just outside the hotel. We were able to catch the first shuttle. As we had two days there we got our berings the first day and rode around and then went to the USS Constitution, which we got to using the free harbor tour, which makes a stop there and will pick you up in an hour, which I wish we had done as getting the trolly from the Constitution was a little of a pain due to the crowds. Once back at our hotel we went to the attached mall and ate a late lunch at Eately. I had Pizza very similar to pizza I had in Italy years ago. Later that night we went to Legal Seafood, which I had made a reservation, we were able to walk also from the hotel, which made it nice because it was raining.

The next day we picked up the trolley and got off at the start of the Freedom Trail. I had made reservations for lunch in the North End. I am really glad we started where we did as it was mostly down hill and with my 75 year old mother was an easy walk to the resteraunt. We stopped along the way at various sites and were ready for lunch. We then walked around the North End and caught the trolly back to the hotel. Later that night we ended up at Fanouill Hall for dinner by taking Uber again. We then took Uber again to the port the next day.

Have fun with your planning!!

Ooops sorry did not see under 200, this hotel was 280 a night. I still felt it was well worth it for the convenience.

• 2 weeks later...