Weekday disembarkation followed by Baltimore 10am flight. Am I crazy for planning thi

DavidJrandRichard

I'm assuming you plan to take a taxi to BWI. If you self-disembark VERY early, and there are no delays, you'll be OK. BWI is about 20 minutes from the cruise terminal IF there are no traffic delays. For the most part, most of the rush hour traffic will be heading into the city, and you will be going in the opposite direction. All that said, you're cutting it close, but like I said, if there are no delays, you should be OK.

We self assist disembarked on our last cruise in 2016 and were in the parking lot of the Best Western on O’Donnell St by 9:30am and I thought that was excellent. We had pretty much the same experience the year before, but you can’t count on that. Things happen and ships get delayed.

As far as I know airlines are still recommending getting to the airport 2 hours before a domestic flight. No way I would plan to catch a 10am flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The TSA security lines at BWI can be quite long especially if you use Southwest.

But you may use other lines if they are open since Terminals are connected now except the International terminal

Traffic may be heavy as a lot of people who live in Baltimore work in DC and take the BWI Parkway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'm assuming you plan to take a taxi to BWI. If you self-disembark VERY early, and there are no delays, you'll be OK. BWI is about 20 minutes from the cruise terminal IF there are no traffic delays. For the most part, most of the rush hour traffic will be heading into the city, and you will be going in the opposite direction. All that said, you're cutting it close, but like I said, if there are no delays, you should be OK.

Traffic is very heavy towards airport as many live in Baltimore and commute to DC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Having worked nights at the hospital for many years, traffic is very unpredictable in and around B-more area.

I would NEVER plan for a 10AM flight.

If the ship hits any bad weather in the Carolina's they will be a bit late letting passengers off.

If anyone needs to be turned over to local law enforcement or transported to hospital again, you will be held up a bit.

If you get off the ship in a timely manner there could be a traffic tie up on the way to BWI, you might miss the flight.

If, If, If...just too many mights to make me feel safe.

I wanted to add that a back up plan isn't good if the flights are full and that typically is what the flight situation is on most flights we take.

Keith

Especially with the predominantly budget airlines that fly from BWI- fully agree. This isn't a great plan. You'll either be taking an expensive car ride to Washington Dulles or spending an extra night in a hotel if it doesn't work and you have a very narrow window to make it work.

As others have said it is risky. Can it be done? Sure. Based on the number of risks I would opt for a later flight. This is especially true if it is a Monday morning when the lines at BWI tend to be slightly longer. That said, BWI is a straight forward airport to navigate and not one of these where you have to walk "miles".

I'm assuming you plan to take a taxi to BWI. If you self-disembark VERY early, and there are no delays, you'll be OK.

All that said, you're cutting it close, but like I said, if there are no delays, you should be OK.

Not much real encouragement here: "IF THERE ARE NO DELAYS" (repeated) , you should be OK.

How big a bet do you want to make that, in a fairly large urban area, there will be no delays during a morning rush hour?

As others have said it is risky. Can it be done? Sure. Based on the number of risks I would opt for a later flight. This is especially true if it is a Monday morning when the lines at BWI tend to be slightly longer. That said, BWI is a straight forward airport to navigate and not one of these where you have to walk "miles".
Will be a Thursday morning and we are flying Delta

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk